Import Files, ...

Next
hello,

i'm a quite new with Moi3D. But it is so cool that i managed to make this LOGO, rendered in v_ray, 3d_max
i'm also using a lot sketchup, but Moi3D is not working with the filetypes that Sketchup is exporting.

so if someone has any ideas please tell me.

also interesting would be to know how to import lines. like from autocad...
thanks,

ps: sorry for my high school english...
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
567.2 In reply to 567.1 
Hi San, that is a cool logo!

> but Moi3D is not working with the filetypes that Sketchup is exporting.

MoI and Sketchup use different methods for defining 3D objects.

Sketchup uses a polygon-based method, but MoI uses a method called "NURBS", which are sort of smooth surface patches.

It is possible to break a smooth NURBS surface up into Polygons, and that is what MoI does when you export to an .obj, .3ds, or .stl file. But it is not very easy to take a bunch of polygons and try to reconstruct a smooth surface patch out of them, so it is hard to go from polygons in Sketchup into MoI.

> also interesting would be to know how to import lines. like from autocad...

Is it possible to export the lines as an IGES file from AutoCAD? A long time ago it used to be possible, but I guess they probably removed that at some point.

I would think that there should be some kind of plug-in for AutoCAD that would enable saving IGES files though, if you could find a plugin for that, then that would be a method.

I do want to add support to MoI for reading AutoCAD DWG/DXF files, but I won't be able to work on that until version 2.0 of MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All