Need some help to convert a solid work file.

Next
Hello,

Could anyone help me to convert this 2 solidworks file into something MoI can open ?
It's supposed to be a gibson guitar, the model was available on grabcad.com.

Many many thanks !

EDITED: 21 Feb 2015 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5654.2 In reply to 5654.1 
I can find viewers for the file format, but nothing for conversion as such. That's the problem with proprietary file formats, they want licensing or royalties, and that in return tends to mean no free tools. I tried it in Keyshot v3 and that couldn't work with it either. But generally speaking you need to have the sldprt files to go with the assembly, you then put all the parts and the assembly file all in the same folder and then it should import into whatever software you are using that can read solid-works.

HTH

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5654.3 In reply to 5654.1 
Do those two assembly files contain the actual component models or did you save it out such that the assembly files is just referencing the components?

The reason that I ask is that the files are pretty small, 3MB each. That small of an assembly file usually means its just a file that tells SW where to find the reference components so it can open them rather than all the models.

You might want to open the assemblies in SW and save them both out as part files (that will turn the assembly into multi body part file) then we can look at it.

update - actually the referencing is the issue. When I try to open the file in another program I get this as part of the error string "File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP TRUSS ROD COVER.SLDPRT" See, it is trying to find the solid part files on someone's K drive.

There appears to be no actual 3D data in the files you attached. As far as I know, there never really is. They are typically just referenced.

Full error log:

"Assembly - BLUE QUILT TOP GIBSON LES PAUL 59.sldasm
Assembly - QUILT TOP GIBSON LES PAUL 59 BODY.SLDASM
Part - FLAME TOP GIBSON LES PAUL 59 BODY.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\FLAME TOP GIBSON LES PAUL 59 BODY.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - QUILT TOP GIBSON LES PAUL 59 TOP.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\QUILT TOP GIBSON LES PAUL 59 TOP.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - GIBSON LES PAUL 59 BINDING.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\GIBSON LES PAUL 59 BINDING.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - GIBSOL LES PAUL 59 NECK.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\GIBSOL LES PAUL 59 NECK.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - GIBSOL LES PAUL 59 FRET BOARD.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\GIBSOL LES PAUL 59 FRET BOARD.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP PU TAIL MOUNTING RING.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP PU TAIL MOUNTING RING.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - SEYMOUR DUNCAN JB PICKUP.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\SEYMOUR DUNCAN JB PICKUP.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP PU NECK MOUNTING RING.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP PU NECK MOUNTING RING.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - CR-RHMS 0.112-40x1.125x1.125-N.sldprt
File not read: K:\Solidworks Shared\SolidWorks Data-2010\CopiedParts\CR-RHMS 0.112-40x1.125x1.125-N.sldprt : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP LEFT TUNER.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP LEFT TUNER.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - lp right tuner.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\lp right tuner.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP NUT.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP NUT.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP VOLUME KNOB.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP VOLUME KNOB.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP TONE KNOB.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP TONE KNOB.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP PUP SELECTOR SWITCH.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP PUP SELECTOR SWITCH.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP CONTROLS BACK COVER.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP CONTROLS BACK COVER.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP SELECTOR SWITCH COVER.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP SELECTOR SWITCH COVER.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - CR-OHMS 0.112-40x1x1-N.sldprt
File not read: K:\Solidworks Shared\SolidWorks Data-2010\CopiedParts\CR-OHMS 0.112-40x1x1-N.sldprt : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Assembly - LES PAUL STOP TAILPIECE.SLDASM
Part - LP STOP TAILPIECE BODY.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP STOP TAILPIECE BODY.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP STOP TAILPIECE ADJUSTING SCREW.SLDPRT
File not read: k:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP STOP TAILPIECE ADJUSTING SCREW.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP TAILSTOP THREADED INSERT.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP TAILSTOP THREADED INSERT.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Assembly - TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE.SLDASM
Part - TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE BODY.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE BODY.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE SADDLE.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE SADDLE.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE INTONATION SCREW.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE INTONATION SCREW.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE ADJUSTING SCREW.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE ADJUSTING SCREW.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE THREADED BUSHING.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE THREADED BUSHING.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist
Part - LP TRUSS ROD COVER.SLDPRT
File not read: K:\Vidal\Personel files\GRABCAD\LP TRUSS ROD COVER.SLDPRT : dtkErrorFileNotExist"
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Here ya go PaQ, the person who posted stuffed all the part files into their renderings folder. Follow this link and you will see them all, do you have anything that can read the SolidWorks files ?

http://grabcad.com/library/gibson-59-les-paul-inspired-guitar/files/Renderings

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hoooo I see, seems much more complicated than I expected ... that's a lots of files.

and ... no ... I dont have anything to read solidworks models, but I will try to find an other model to download (I only need some reference material ;)).

Many thanks for your help !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5654.6 In reply to 5654.5 
No problems, you could also try asking the guy who modelled it to post it as an *.iges file - then you can play with it in MoI and export it to whatever format you prefer for your rendering. Most of the modellers on GrabCAD seem to be a friendly bunch and as long as they have the time will try to satisfy your needs.

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 5654.7 deleted 17 Jan 2013 by OSTEXO

Previous
Next
5654.8 In reply to 5654.4 
"do you have anything that can read the SolidWorks files "
I just throw them into Rhino.

edit: Roar - I just tried to upload the guitar assembly but it keeps crashing. The rhino file ended up being 9MB zipped in native 3dm format.

EDITED: 17 Jan 2013 by MSHIDELER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Here are both designs in STEP format. The file size is much smaller with STEP. Hope these help.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

For some reason there are no models for the quilted top that is referenced, or perhaps the models are there but the linkage is not correct.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5654.11 In reply to 5654.10 
Hey PaQ,
Just download the solidworks edrawings viewer:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/free-cad-software-downloads.htm

It will open the entire assembly, and also give you access to dimension tools to inspect the geometry more precisely...

Good luck.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5654.12 In reply to 5654.11 
Getting the dims...

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi all,
I've just tried 3DSync from Siemens PLM. It open, modify and convert a lot of cad format files. And, also, there is a trial free until may 2013.
No direct export to 3DM but you can use iges or step.
I'm using it modifying Solidworks files created by a client. It is very fast and useful.
Best, Giovanni
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks guys, I'll check that !

Hi gbing, thanks a lot, that's very handy !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
OSTexo !!!! thanks you so much for the conversion, wonderfull !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All