Max number of objects

Next
Hi Michael,
what is the maximum number of objects in one scene?

When I try to select all of the objects in this scene, I get a count of 134 objects and they are NOT all selected!

Greets from Germany
Moritz

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5641.2 In reply to 5641.1 
There seems to be an overlap in the naming of the objects.
For example, haus seems to include wand_hinten, wand_links, etc.

I do not think it is a problem with the number of objects.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5641.3 In reply to 5641.1 
Hi Moritz,

> what is the maximum number of objects in one scene?

There is no specific maximum.

> When I try to select all of the objects in this scene, I get a count of 134
> objects and they are NOT all selected!

Those particular names that do not show as selected are ones where the name is assigned to sub-objects (edges or faces) instead of the top level object.

You can get that either by assigning a name to a sub-object selection.

Like for example the one that you have circled there named "hallenboden" is the inside floor face of the larger parent object which is itself named "haus". The face will only show as selected when it is specifically selected by sub-object selection and not when its parent object is the one that is selected. But maybe I should change that, what do you think?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5641.4 In reply to 5641.1 
Also the object count that shows in the upper-right area will only count a face in the tally if it is specifically selected and not just if its parent object is selected.

So for example if you have a box and you select it, it will count that as 1 object selected, it won't count the 12 edge sub-objects and 6 face sub-objects in the count unless those are specifically selected by an edge or face sub-object selection.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5641.5 In reply to 5641.3 
Hi Michael,
maybe a GROUPING-Function would help - like it exist in CINEMA 4d - to put several objects into one NULL-Object?

The problem in my scene is solved so far - only the export to .obj is actual the problem. (Some objects are not exported into an .obj-File)

Are there any restrictions about "SAVE AS - WAVEFRONT (.OBJ)"?

Greets from Germany
Moritz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5641.6 In reply to 5641.5 
Hi Moritz, yup I do want to a grouping function in addition to the "object name" tagging as another way to organize things, it's just one of those things that I haven't managed to get to yet.

> Are there any restrictions about "SAVE AS - WAVEFRONT (.OBJ)"?

Well, you can't export a sub-object selection, it only will export a complete top level object that is selected. That's for File > Export (short for "Export Selected") which writes only the selected objects to the file.

For File > Save As it will write everything independent from selection. The only restriction there about OBJ format is that it will only export surfaces and solids to the OBJ file, not curve objects.

Which particular object are you having problems with exporting?

If your object is not a closed solid it can be possible that the "outward" surface normals are not in the particular direction that you expect and you may need to adjust a setting in your rendering program to show both sides of objects instead of only one side. That can make it look like you're missing things when only one-sided rendering is turned on for surface objects.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All