arcs problem

Next
Hello, I am having problems joining two arcs to a line. I crate a line then two arcs on one end. When I try to join them all together its not working. I can only get the line to join with one of the arcs. Or the arcs to join to each other. I am trying to make a complex shape that has multiple arcs that intersect at the ends with a line. No matter what I try I cant get them to behave. I have created a simple 2D example do demonstrate the problem. I wouldn't care, but not being able to join is preventing me from networking on more complex 3d shapes. Any advice is appreciated.

Arc #1

Arc #2

The line.

I can join the arcs together.

Or I can join one arc to the line. But never all three together.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5639.2 In reply to 5639.1 
Hi Danny, you can only join together curves that touch end to end in one single chain, the main goal of joining curves is to form a long curve that has either only 2 ends or is a single closed loop.

It will not work to join together curves that have a branching structure where more than 2 segments are touching at one single common point.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5639.3 In reply to 5639.1 
Hi Danny, also I've seen before that people coming from a polygon modeling background can often get fixated on trying to only use Network to build everything from an entire set of drawn in wireframe edges.

But that's not really what the NURBS toolset is best used for - instead of initially drawing every single 3D edge of your model usually with NURBS modeling it is better to try and draw primarily 2D profile curves and let many of the 3D swooping edges be formed by booleans and intersections between different 2D profiles rather than trying to draw every single 3D edge in directly.

Often times you will want to initially create objects that are simple in topology and extend through an area and then cut that object to form the final edge.

If you're trying to model something that is very organic in nature and is not very well defined by any 2D profile curves at all, that can be a general sign that the particular project that you're working on would be handled better by polygon modeling in a sub-d modeling program rather than in a NURBS modeling program.

Check out here for some links to discussions and general tips for people who are coming from a sub-d / poly modeling background:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2

The primary strategy for NURBS modeling is very different than polygon modeling - in polygon modeling you do go in and manipulate everything directly in 3D. In NURBS modeling you primarily want to use a smaller number of 2D curves to generate much of the model and many of the 3D parts come from intersections between those shapes.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5639.4 In reply to 5639.3 
Hello, you accurately described me when you said "people coming from a polygon modeling background can often get fixated on trying to only use Network to build everything from an entire set of drawn in wire frame edges." I was able to accomplish what I needed using sweeps and lofts instead of networking.
Not be disagreeable, but your software worked very well starting with "an entire set of drawn in wire frame edges." It was much easier then trying to accomplish the same thing in Blender. It will take some time for me to think differently and use more boolean operations. In the mean time I like being able to use a little of both approaches. I couldn't have accomplished what I needed in Aspire. And it would have been the bane of my existence doing it in Blender. So even with my polygon modeling background handicap your software worked great!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All