Advantages of v3 for "meshing users"?
 1-20  21-27

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

I tested in with R5 64 here and it's like you wrote, the layer names are splitted. I will ask the Rhino team for a way to keep the names.

Thanks,
Micha

Visualisation for Designer and Architects | http://www.simulacrum.de
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5637.22 In reply to 5637.20 
Hi Martin, hmmm maybe it's called something different on the Mac version - on the regular Windows Rhino version "Import" means the same thing as it does in MoI, meaning to bring in the contents of the file you pick and add them into the current model without removing any of the current stuff and not starting a new workspace.

Surely there must be some way to do that with the Mac Rhino version, is it possible that it's called "Merge" or "Combine" or something slightly different?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5637.23 In reply to 5637.21 
Hi Micha,

> I tested in with R5 64 here and it's like you wrote, the layer names are splitted. I
> will ask the Rhino team for a way to keep the names.

So other than this "names with spaces" issue, does it look like that will do what you need?

Someone on the Rhino newsgroup could probably write a little script that would convert layer names to switch spaces in them to underscores.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5637.24 In reply to 5637.22 
Nahhh, no merge or combine, there is an insert but that wants to work with blocks. If it is of any consolation the very buggy R5 WIP also opens a new workspace on "importing" another 3DM file, it's probably an issue with permissions, but it was installed with their own installer but that don't mean much with nix based systems, I will download the latest build later and see if it's fixed in that, if not i will run the fix permissions tool and see if R5 plays any better there-after.

Martin Spencer-Ford

** Updated **

Ok just installed the latest build of R5 WIP, no difference, did repair some permissions but nothing directly to do with the software just installed, and still no difference, even from the initial starting workspace, select open, and you get a new instance of R5 ... Ah well, never mind, still got my MoI!!

EDITED: 15 Jan 2013 by TPWUK

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5637.25 In reply to 5637.23 
"So other than this "names with spaces" issue, does it look like that will do what you need?

Someone on the Rhino newsgroup could probably write a little script that would convert layer names to switch spaces in them to underscores."

Yes, this could be a solution. Is there a chance to get the "use style names" option for v2 too?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5637.26 In reply to 5637.25 
Hi Micha, ok I've added that in for the next v3 beta.

It will be a new setting in moi.ini under [OBJ Import], called:

[OBJ Export]
WriteStylesAsGroups=n

You will be able to change this to say WriteStylesAsGroups=y and then you will be able to output the kind of files that I posted earlier.

By default spaces in the style name will get converted to underscores. There is another setting you can change to enable writing spaces AllowSpacesInObjectNames=y but you will need support for that on the Rhino side before that will work properly. Until then you would probably want to have some script in Rhino that will replace all spaces in layer names with underscores so that does not cause a problem with the names changing.

> Is there a chance to get the "use style names" option for v2 too?

Sorry no, v2 is not really under active development now, v3 is where I'm adding new things so that's where this new feature will be in.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5637.27 In reply to 5637.26 
Thank you. :)