Problem Trimming Knurl
 1-20  21-23

Previous
Next
5631.21 In reply to 5631.13 
"Was this created from using Flow? There probably needs to be a tune-up to Flow to join these things up when opposite sides of the original object end up touching one another in the flow result."

Yes Please :) when using flow for rings, I normally have to take the STL output to netfabb to join up the area where the object ends touch :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5631.22 In reply to 5631.20 
> Would it do the job if I just 2D cut a plain extruded tube surface and flowed
> the knurl pattern onto the remaining pieces?

No, that wouldn't really make any difference - Flow works on a full "underlying surface" - if you cut out a hole in the middle of something it does not make any difference as far as how Flow will be used on it.

Does the model that I attached above that will trim work ok for you?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5631.23 In reply to 5631.22 
Hi Michael,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I was dealing with a medical situation that arose and was nowhere near my computer for most of the week.

Yes, your model did the trick, although it wasn't immediately apparent. I had to cut it in half diagonally to better allow my computer to crunch the numbers.

Ended up making a solid tube out of the knurled section. Cut that in half diagonally. Then I used my sweeping curves to cut out the shapes and isect to make cutouts from the sweeping curves. Then I joined everything to make solids again.

Here's the result:

As you might be able to tell, it's the rubberized grip on Count Dooku's lightsaber. I got a replica for Christmas and immediately set out to model it. It's excellent practice and compliments my Luke and Obi-Wan virtual models.

Thank you so much for your help and insight.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-23