Reference image from clipboard or with "drag and drop"

Next
Hi,

Would it be possible to have "paste image from clipboard" or with "drag and drop image" functionality to Moi3D?

Sometimes when I'm making experiments I tend to draw several quick sketches and use them with Moi3D. Saving these sketches and linking them to Moi3D is pretty frustrating after 30th sketch :)

Yours,

JPVikholm
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5623.2 In reply to 5623.1 
Hi JPVikholm, the image infrastructure mostly assumes that the image exists on your disk somewhere with a filename for it. The filename is stored and used as the name that's displayed in the list of images. When you have an image in the clipboard it is missing that, and so it does not really directly fit in the current mechanism to easily do a copy/paste of an image from the clipboard.

Drag and drop is focused on handling geometry files so that it works the same as File > Open.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Thank You for quick answer. One alternative could be reloading excising images. Maybe a shortcut key or button on main UI. Shortcut would be quite handy :)

Yours,

JPVikholm
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5623.4 In reply to 5623.3 
Hi JPVikholm, here's a script that you can put on a shortcut key to trigger a reload of all current images:

script: /* reload all background images */ var Images = moi.view.getBackgroundImages(); for ( var i = 0; i < Images.length; ++i ) { Images.item(i).reload(); }

To set that up, go to Options> Shortcut keys, and then push the "Add" button to add in a new entry. Put in whatever you want for the "key" column (like maybe R for reload?) and then for the command column paste in the above script and then when you push R all images should reload from their disk file and the display should update.

Hope that will help to streamline your process.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5623.5 In reply to 5623.4 
A quite handy tool that (partially might) solve your problem is Image Reference from http://scary-monsters.org/Scary_Store/about_reference_image
I use it alot in Zbrush and Modo.
It's 10 GBP but there is a discount http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10724&hl=reference&fromsearch=1 (making it 6 euros).

There's another tool caled DAG Foreground utility at http://www.digitalartistguild.com/misc/UtilityExplain/UtilityExplain.html
It's workflow is quite the same although it never really worked for me. That being said. it is FREE.

regards
Edwin
As a final touch, God created the Dutch
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,

@Michael,

Thank You for this script. Your support to users is as great as always. This really makes things easier. So simple thing but affects greatly on workflow :)

- JPVikholm
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5623.7 In reply to 5623.4 
This is so great ! Thanks for that script !
--
shapenoid.com stojan-voumard.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5623.8 In reply to 5623.5 
Hi EdwinKlijn,

Reference Image sounded familiar. I have it on my other system and it has worked just great (except some shortcut overlaps when changing software). If my memory serves correctly I bought it 2009 or 2010. 2011 and 2012 (and now 2013) I have tried to by it again for my other systems but never got past registration. Also i have not reached support with email or through website. It's great tool and I would happily by it again. Only (?) problem is that I can't login to that site with my old login information and when I try to recover login it don't recognize my email... so be little careful :) It's great tool though.

- JPVikholm
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5623.9 In reply to 5623.2 
Since as you said "paste image from clipboard" is not possible because image infrastructure mostly assumes that the image exists on your disk somewhere with a filename for it.

Would it be possible to have action/script with appropriate button to "paste image from clipboard" in Image section BUT what it actually does then
it just automatically save image from clipboard always in same directory of choice and add it in that Image panel, then you just drag the image in viewport.

Later when and if a lot of images accumulates in that directory you can always just delete them all manually.

My workflow is usually modeling in Maya then when i need something very specific and/or hard to model i take the screenshot of the model
in Maya and import the image in MoI which i use to model the object i need in MoI and that will fit perfectly when i export it back from MoI to Maya.

So basically it would be just removing the part of saving image (search where to save) and Add image in MoI (search again where you saved it).

Would it be possible? Would be awesome timesaver.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5623.10 In reply to 5623.9 
Hi keyi,

> Would it be possible to have action/script with appropriate button to "paste image from
> clipboard" in Image section BUT what it actually does then it just automatically save image
> from clipboard always in same directory of choice and add it in that Image panel, then you
> just drag the image in viewport.

I'm sorry but currently no it's not really possible to do that because there is no mechanism exposed for MoI scripts to access an image from the clipboard.

So you will need to still save the image to disk yourself before you will be able to place it as a background image in MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5623.11 In reply to 5623.10 
Ok, i see. No problem really. This would be helpful little thing but even with the current workflow it's absolutely fine so
no worries.

Thanks for the reply!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi,

I understand it's not currently possible, but drag and drop images would be very nice.

Also I noticed there is now a "embed images" option, which is nice.
It could be interesting if this behavior could be set by default.

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All