Linux Support
All  1-3  4

Previous
5619.4 In reply to 5619.3 
Hi Jay

Have spent the last 25 years working has a system engineer/admin, currently managing 200+ servers (windows,linux,netware) and 600 deskstops in my real job, got sick of the having to manage a windows platform at home, have tried Linux many times over the years, starting with slackware 0.9 (I think). last year when the kids PC died, I gave them my PC and decided to try a mac, brought the cheapest mac mini I could get, upgrading it to 8GB ram, (third party ram) , just love it, MoI runs great on it and for me the other main interest is photography , and I used DxO Pro Optic, for processing my raws, and DxO provide both a windows and Mac license. The only time I fire up a windows box, is when I want to run Zsurf, even then I fire up a VirtualBox virtual windows XP on the Mac.

My $800.00 dual core i5 , 8GB ram, Mac Mini processes 14Mbit raw images in around 15sec, my work laptop, top of the line HP, $3500 quad core i7 with 8GB ram windows 7 64bit does it in 12 secs, using the same version of DxO. I find that I can push OSX much harder for longer then Windows 7 it just seems to handle RAM/swap a lot better than windows. the only complaint was when an Apple update broke X11 , but Michael had a fix for MoI real quick :)
Also run Simlab Composer (uses keyshot render engine), ViaCad, netfabb, meshlab, vuescan all native OSX apps.

Cheers, Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4