MoI's DXF Options

Next
Hi Michael,

I'm looking for some advice concerning the various DXF Export options.

I've been producing some components that are Laser Cut in mild steel.
Through trial & error I established the Laser Company needed the DXF files as a particular type!
I've been using Rhino4 to do this, using the "2004 Lines" option.

With the recent introduction of DXF Export to the V3 Beta's (Thank you), so now I'm looking at using MoI for doing this.
My only problem is that I'm unsure as to "which" of the MoI DXF options will match up to R4's "2004 Lines"...
...Splines, Cubic splines, Polylines...?

Thought it better to ask you first, rather that put the Laser people through the trial & error all over again.

regards Colin

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5617.2 In reply to 5617.1 
Hi Colin, I guess that option in Rhino makes wiggly curve objects to be exported as a bunch of separate line entities.

Currently MoI does not have any equivalent option for that exact option, the current options that MoI has for writing out arbitrary curves (curves that are not in the shape of a simple line, arc, or circle) are:

Write curves as: Splines = write the curve as a SPLINE entity in the DXF file. This is an exact conversion (meaning it does not involve approximating the curve with other shapes like lines).

Write curves as: Cubic splines = write the curve as a SPLINE entity but refit any curves that use weights or high degree so that only the most basic kind of spline curve is used. This can help with programs that can read in SPLINE entities but don't support them 100% like they don't read in weight values.

Write curves as: Polylines = break the curve into a series of line segments and write them out as a POLYLINE entity in the DXF file with the vertices of the polyline forming the lines.

From what I can see, most likely that Rhino option will break curves into a series of line segments and then write out a separate LINE entity in the DXF file for each one. I wouldn't think you would want that since it basically kind of loses the built in sort of grouping of lines that a POLYLINE has.

The closest thing in MoI currently would be "Write curves as: Polylines" - it may be worth sending them a test file written with that just to see if they actually cannot handle polylines, that would be kind of weird if everything had to be only individual line entities and not polylines. Please let me know if that is indeed the case and I can add in a new option for that into MoI's export.

One thing you could do to get individual line entities out from MoI would be to export with "Write curves as: Polylines", then read that DXF file back into MoI and run Edit > Separate on it to break the polylines down into a bunch of individual line objects, then when you exported the result of that back to DXF, each of those individual lines will get written as a LINE entity.

But also an additional factor - I took another look right now at that particular Rhino export mode and it looks like it will break down arcs and circles down into lines as well, rather than exporting ARC or CIRCLE entities for them. By default MoI will write lines, arcs, and circles as a LINE, CIRCLE, or ARC entity inside the DXF file and not break them down into polylines. That could be a problem if your receiving software does not support CIRCLE or ARC entities, although those are really basic DXF entities that have been around forever so it's again pretty weird for them to not be supported at all by a program that reads in DXF files.

You can turn off exporting of these special entities from MoI in moi.ini, go to Options > General and push the "Edit .ini file" button and find the [DXF Export] section, then inside there is a setting for:

[DXF Export]
UseSimpleEntities=y

If you change that to UseSimpleEntities=n then lines, circles, and arcs will not be treated differently from any other curves and will get exported as either a SPLINE or a POLYLINE entity depending on the curve export setting.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5617.3 In reply to 5617.1 
Hi Colin, also do you happen to know what particular software they are using to read in the DXF files?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5617.4 In reply to 5617.1 
Hi Colin

Line & Arc is the best output in 2d DXF for 2d CNC (ie laser). Splines should be avoided unless you have talked with your cutting services and the tell you that they can work with splines.

If they can take a dxf file with splines, it probably gets converted to lines and arcs before it goes to the cnc machine. Even now, very few CNC machines process spline toolpaths.

You can open the dxf with lines and arcs file that you make to compare it to the original to see how the conversion went. If you don't generate the dxf with lines and arcs yourself, you always run the risk of ending up with something that does not match what you started with. Thats because the spline to arc conversion typically needs some type of tolerance value or "optimization", and this can differ between various applications.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Michael & Chris,

Micheal, the Laser Cutting mob isn't back until the middle of January, so I'll find out more from them then.
In between, I'll put some test samples together from MoI, in preparation to see which works better for them.

After nearly a 20yr retirement, I've returned to building some Tattoo Machines again.
Because I've designed all the model & it's components using MoI, obviously I'd prefer to use MoI for their DXF files too.

http://colincreedtattoomachines.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/machine-buildinga-new-phase.html

I'm currently in the process of finishing off the prototype for what's going to be an Aussie Tattoo Legends Tribute Machine.
Decided to built a complete 3D model so I could then do some renders & show the 70yr old gentleman concerned.
Here's one of those renders, as well as two different stages of the prototype Frame which was laser cut in mild steel.

regards Colin

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5617.6 In reply to 5617.5 
Hi Colin, that's cool that you're "unretiring" !

> http://colincreedtattoomachines.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/machine-buildinga-new-phase.html

Cool sequence there showing the design and rendering and physical end result!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5617.7 In reply to 5617.6 
nice work Colin
  Reply Reply More Options