detect colisions or overlaping solids or faces?
All  1  2-7

Previous
Next
5608.2 In reply to 5608.1 
You have yet some snappings when you move volumes with the mouse
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5608.3 In reply to 5608.1 
Hi Guilherme, there is a command under Construct > Curve > Isect that will generate curves or points where 2 objects intersect each other, it could work for that.

Select your 2 objects, run Construct > Curve > Isect and then see if there was anything output or not, if it did generate stuff it will be selected and you should see something like "3 curves" or whatever in the properties panel in the upper right area of the main window.

There are a few kinds of things that won't detect, like it won't detect if 2 solids touch each other only at one single point like 2 boxes touching only at their corners and no other overlap. But other kinds of overlap it should generate curves surrounding the overlap and it also will detect single point touching when intersecting curves.

Otherwise if you have 2 individual surfaces alongside one another you can also see if they are touching by using Edit > Join and see if they join together or not - things must be with a pretty close tolerance of touching in order for join to glue them together.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5608.4 In reply to 5608.3 
possibly a stupid follow-up question:

Since it would detect points that touch (are coincident) and points to a computer do occupy space to within whatever tolerance is being used, does the same apply to surfaces that are coincident?

Mathematically a surface has no thickness but we are in the world of a program and computers so is are two surfaces that are "touching" (within the tolerance the technology) considered intersecting or to they actually have to pass through each other rather than touch?

I hope to what ever higher power you follow that I made some sort of sense.

mjs
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5608.5 In reply to 5608.4 
Hi mjs, if I understand what you are asking correctly - yes there is a tolerance involved when testing for surface/surface coincidence as well. But usually it helps with various mechanisms if overlapping areas are within a pretty tight tolerance, if they wiggle through each other by too much it can be detected as a complex intersection rather than a overlap/coincidence type situation.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

It is exactly what i was after. In Spaceclaim there is a command called Inteference (or something like that) that point and - if you want - fix it, but in Moi i just need those areas to be pointed out.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Carlos
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5608.7 In reply to 5608.5