New user - Space Navigator request and mac launch oddness.

Next
Hello! I just purchased MoI, running it on a Mac. When I launch it, it often bounces and then doesn't start, launching it again opens it properly. Running it under 10.8.2. Seems to work fine otherwise.

Hmm I'm having a problem now where it won't open it all. I'll have to try a restart.

I use a Space Navigator, and something I'd like to request is the ability to have a different configuration for the ortho views. In a perspective view I use forward and back to zoom in. In ortho views I'd like to be able to use up and down to zoom. It makes sense to me, though maybe not to most. : )
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5574.2 In reply to 5574.1 
Hi mushycraft, I haven't seen that launch problem before myself, although I have seen that there can possibly be a delay the very first time that you launch it. Does it eventually launch if you wait for a little while? Did it improve after a system reboot?

Also make sure you're running the latest 2.52 release of MoI and not any earlier version, there were some problems on 10.8.2 with earlier versions.

> In a perspective view I use forward and back to zoom in. In ortho views I'd like to
> be able to use up and down to zoom.

I'm not quite sure that I follow - you mean you want the zoom behavior to be opposite depending on which particular view you are in?

There is nothing currently set up for doing that, and I'm not sure about adding in an option for that because it's kind of weird to make different views behave opposite from one another.

There are a variety of options for controlling the Space Navigator behavior though which you can find under Options > View > "Rotate/Pan/Zoom options" button, then on that dialog there are "3Dconnexion options" on the right-hand side and you can set various things like reversing the zoom there, but it reverses it in a uniform way for all viewports, there isn't any setting for a different zoom behavior for each viewport because that would make for a much more complicated UI to manage it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5574.3 In reply to 5574.2 
After it failed to launch at all I rebooted and worked, and I just tried opening and closing it repeatedly and it seems to be fine now. And yup, 2.52.

I've been through the view options and set it up as I liked before I posted. Works great btw. But I'd still love what I described. In ortho view moving the puck almost the same plane as the desk it's sitting on feels great for panning, but in a perspective view panning feels more natural to me 90 degrees to that, or in the plane of the monitor. Right now I've been using the mouse for ortho view panning and it's fine that way if that's what I have to do.

I haven't looked into MoI's scripting yet, but if it's something that could be handled that way instead of creating a complex UI then that would be okay with me.

Thanks,
ken
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5574.4 In reply to 5574.3 
Hi ken, I'm glad that the opening problem is gone for now at least, let me know if it starts to reoccur on a regular basis, especially if you notice any particular pattern like it starts to happen after running some other particular app or something like that. If there's any way I can repeat the problem over here it makes it a lot easier to try and fix it too.

re: Space Navigator option - actually now that I look into it, I think you should be able to get what you want by a setting that's already available in the moi.ini file which I had totally forgotten was in there.

To edit moi.ini go to Options > General and push the button near the bottom of the dialog that says "Edit .ini file". MoI will exit and then the .ini file (which is just a text file) should come up in TextEdit.app. Find the section that starts with [3Dconnexion] and then the setting you want is:

[3Dconnexion]
      <....>
      Reverse3DViewZoom=n

Edit that to say =y like this:

Reverse3DViewZoom=y

Then exit TextEdit. With that set to =y it will additionally reverse the zoom behavior just for the 3D view. So what you would want to do is set the regular zoom reverse checkbox in the UI (in those 3Dconnexion settings we were talking about earlier) so that you've got the ortho view behavior how you want it, and then with that moi.ini flag set to Reverse3DViewZoom=y it will reverse the 3D view behavior on top of that which I think should get you what you are looking for.

Please let me know if that does not do what you wanted. I was just looking into adding that option for you when I saw that it was actually already there, just accessible only in moi.ini instead of set up in the UI.

- Michael

EDITED: 29 Nov 2012 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5574.5 In reply to 5574.4 
Thanks for the quick reply, it's not quite it though. I guess I'd want something like Swap3DPanAndZoom. Actually, the Swap Pan and Zoom option in the UI is exactly what I want, toggled off the ortho views work as I'd like, toggled on the 3D view does.

I just remembered that I had been playing with the v3 beta, perhaps that led to the problems with v2.52? I'll see if I can get something repeatable.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5574.6 In reply to 5574.5 
Hi ken, I see - so you want not just different zoom direction but to actually have a different type of motion on the controller to have different results in different views.... I don't believe that anyone has previously asked for something like that so I don't think there is any existing option set up for it. I'll see about adding in one for the next v3 beta.

> I just remembered that I had been playing with the v3 beta, perhaps that led to the
> problems with v2.52? I'll see if I can get something repeatable.

Normally it shouldn't but if I forgot to give each of them a unique Mac bundle id, it is possible for the OSX system launchd mechanism to get kind of confused between them, it's an area of the OSX operating system that's kind of delicate.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5574.7 In reply to 5574.5 
Hi ken, so for the next v3 beta I've added a new setting in moi.ini which should hopefully cover what you want. It will be:

[3Dconnexion]
<....>
Swap3DViewPanZoom=n

I'm not exactly sure yet when the next v3 beta will be out, maybe a couple more weeks yet.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5574.8 In reply to 5574.7 
Thanks Michael, that'll be fantastic.
  Reply Reply More Options