Would MoI be a good alternative to SubD modeling for game props?
All  1-6  7-9

Previous
Next
5571.7 In reply to 5571.6 
As I know, quad polygons only need where animation happens. So if I'm right for hard surfaces it's not necessary to have quads because hard surfaces do not bend like arms. And if I'm right it is possible to export from MOI High and low poly model for hard surfaces.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5571.8 In reply to 5571.7 
Hi Andrei, well it all depends on your own particular needs... it is pretty typical for hard surfaces to not animate by stretching or bending, they do tend to be animated by rigid body motion only and if that's the case then yes you're right.

But it could be possible for someone's particular project to need hard surfaces that bend and flex if they're going to try and make it move with some kind of personality or something like that... whether that applies to your specific project or not is something that only you can answer.

It's often better to base your requirements on what you are specifically trying to do. Ironclad abstract rules like "every polygon must be a quad" or the reverse don't really make sense, try to do what applies to your particular needs.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5571.9 In reply to 5571.7 
hoi andrei!

for game props, engines and general game related modelling i would check out polycount.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/

tons of information in there.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-9