a few general question

Next
Hi all, I am really enjoying MOI. I originally purchased MOI for its awesome meshing capabilities and as a companion to Rhino. Now that there is a Mac version I find myself using it more for modeling things I would normally build in Rhino. This leads me to a few questions.

1. I exclusively use a Walcom tablet and was wondering if there is a way to get control+click to function as the Mac default right click?

2. In Rhino I can scale a model by picking an origin point + reference point and enter a relative dimension like 3". In MOI it is asking for a scale factor. I have found a few workarounds but they don't seem very intuitive. A suggestion for MOI would be when scaling you pick the first point MOI requests the scale factor but once you pick the second reference point it requests a dimension.

3. Is there a way to disable folding an active tool pallet when you click on it? Or better yet have all the tool buttons on screen at all times with no collapsing pallets?

4. Is there a way to disable the view controls that appear at the bottom of the viewports?

Thanks,

-Shane

EDITED: 27 Nov 2012 by SHANE_W

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5570.2 In reply to 5570.1 
< 4. Is there a way to disable the view controls that appear at the bottom of the viewports?

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5524.108
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5570.3 In reply to 5570.1 
Hi Shane, that's really great that you're getting more use out of MoI now!

> 1. I exclusively use a Walcom tablet and was wondering if there is a way to get
> control+click to function as the Mac default right click?

There isn't anything specifically set up in MoI for doing this kind of alternate right-click, but often times on Windows at least the device driver can be configured to do things like that. You might check if there are any Wacom settings that could be set up to make Ctrl+click send a right-click.

> 2. In Rhino I can scale a model by picking an origin point + reference point and enter
> a relative dimension like 3". In MOI it is asking for a scale factor.

MoI's scale actually has the same functionality as Rhino - in MoI you can enter in _either_ a scale factor or a point location. However the way MoI's UI works is that if a command has an input field in it, if you just type a character it will go into that field which in the case for scaling is the "Scale factor" field. But you can still use either the x,y,z or "distance constraint" fields by clicking on them and then typing in your value.

So for instance to do what you want to pick a origin point + reference point + relative dimension of 3", you would start by selecting your object, then run Transform > Scale, then pick the origin point (you can type it directly or click it with the mouse), now you will be at a prompt that says "Pick first reference point" but which also has a "scale factor" field in it. Now you can either click a reference point with the mouse, or if you start typing numbers without doing anything else that numeric entry will go into the "Scale factor" input. At this stage in order to type in an x,y,z point location numerically you will need to click on the x,y,z input box first before doing the typing.

Then once you have placed the first reference point it's similar for the second one - if you just type numbers they will go to the scale factor input, but you can click in the x,y,z input box or the distance constraint field if you want to set a point location numerically. You can click on either the x,y,z input box or the distance input box (both at the bottom of the screen) and type in 3 there and that pick the point with the mouse, it will then be constrained to be at distance = 3 units from the origin point.

One of the differences with MoI's UI from Rhino's is that there can be more than one field where you can enter stuff in. When there's an input field in the command options area any keys that you type without doing anything else will go into that one - if you want them to go somewhere else click on that field to put focus on it first and then you can set that particular field.

> 3. Is there a way to disable folding an active tool pallet when you click on it?

If you click on an inactive tool palette, it will activate and unfold - it's only if you click on an already active tab that it will then deactivate and fold up. Are you possibly doing a "double click" on some of the headers instead of just one click?

> Or better yet have all the tool buttons on screen at all times with no collapsing pallets?

No, there is nothing set up for that - basically if I planned to have all tool buttons on the screen at all times it would essentially lock the UI to not really be expandable in the future with new features getting added. It's essential for future expandability to precisely _not_ have all the tool buttons showing simultaneously. In the future at some point I want to make it easier to customize the UI to your own preferences, but there's a conflict between customization and other changes coming from new features so it's a difficult thing.

> 4. Is there a way to disable the view controls that appear at the bottom of the viewports?

That can be set by unchecking the option for it under Options > View > "Show view controls" :

Hope this helps!

- Michael

EDITED: 27 Nov 2012 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5570.4 In reply to 5570.3 
Thanks Pilou & Michael.

1. I'll take a look at this. I know I can assign a right click to one on the function buttons on my Walcom. I am just trying to keep everything standard between all of the applications I use on a daily basis.

2. I figured most of that out with the exception of only needing to click in the coordinate box. That will speed it up a bit. Seems like extra steps but maybe it won't be a problem when I get used to the workflow.

3. Clicking twice is exactly what I am doing. I know it is operator error but in my case I don't need the tools to fold up so I though I would disable the behavior if possible.

4. Easy enough.

Thanks for the help,

-Shane
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5570.5 In reply to 5570.4 
Hi Shane,

> 3. Clicking twice is exactly what I am doing. I know it is operator error but in my case I don't
> need the tools to fold up so I though I would disable the behavior if possible.

There is no bundled up checkbox-style option for disabling that, but much of the UI is implemented by HTML files that can actually be edited, and it is possible to modify the UI files to disable this behavior.

To do that you'll need to go into the \ui sub-folder inside of MoI's installation and edit the file SidePane.htm - if you're on a Mac then to get to the ui sub-folder, right-click on the MoI .app file and pick "Show package contents" on the menu that pops up, and then inside of there go to drive_c/moi/ui , you'll then want to edit the file SidePane.htm in a text editor, TextEdit.app should work I think.

The line you want to modify is (in the current v3 beta) the 15th line of the file which is the one that says "autodeactivate:true", which I've marked with >>>> <<<< here:

code:
            moi\:PaletteHeader > moi\:TabContainer {
                display:-webkit-box;
                -webkit-box-orient:horizontal;
                -webkit-box-align:stretch;
>>>>>>>>>>>>    autodeactivate:true;   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
             }

Either delete that line or set it to say autodeactivate:false; instead. Then with that edited, the next time you launch it the behavior of collapsing a panel by a second click on an already active palette header tab will just do nothing instead of the previous collapsing behavior.

You'll need to repeat this edit on any new versions of MoI that you install like each new beta release, so I'd recommend saving this information off in a text file somewhere so you can repeat these steps later on if you need to.

Hope this helps!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5570.6 In reply to 5570.4 
Hi shane, also re: this part

> 2. I figured most of that out with the exception of only needing to click in the coordinate box.
> That will speed it up a bit. Seems like extra steps but maybe it won't be a problem when I
> get used to the workflow.

I think that I'm also going to be setting things up so that pressing Ctrl+tab will always put focus into the x,y,z control area so that will probably help to streamline this kind of numeric input a bit more.

I'll try to set that up for the next v3 beta.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5570.7 In reply to 5570.6 
Hi Michael, thanks so much for your suggestions and code snippet. I'll give it a shot. Also Ctrl+Tab to focus on the coordinate box sounds like a good option to speedup workflow.

Thanks,

-Shane
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All