Asus EP121 + Win 8 x64 = Moi graphic problems (anyone experienced?)

Next
Hi, I'm new here. My name is Isaiah Coberly and I'm a designer / inventor that is loving Moi for quickly conceiving new designs. You can see some of my work here www.flipsteady.com but I get into all kinds of crazy design projects. :).

Anyhow, I decided to reach out to the community and see if there is anyone else struggling to get BetaV3 working smoothly on the Asus EP121. V2 works great! I have messed with the graphics settings, # of processors, and found all of the latest drivers I could and I am still getting Graphic artifacts, black surfaces, freezes and white flashes in the viewport. The strange thing is that sometimes things work OK for a while. That seems to just make the problem harder to nail down.

Thanks for any help.

Isaiah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5547.2 In reply to 5547.1 
Hi Isaiah, it is odd that v2 works ok for you, there have not actually been all that many changes in the display system from v2 to v3 other than the multi-core use which gets turned off when you set DisplayThreadLimit=1 .

I'll prepare a special test version to send to you with some changes in it to see if I can figure out what's changed since v2 that has caused this problem on your machine.

Can you please send me an e-mail at moi@moi3d.com and then we can continue some testing through e-mail.

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

I had a big problem with the B121 (essentially a EP121) with the older beta with exactly the problems you describe. I did some fiddling around with settings but it seemed to be related to how heavy the model was. For some reason with the latest beta dated November 6th most of the problems have cleared up for me in preliminary testing. That said I have gone out and am using something other than the listed drivers on the Asus site since they seem to be a little bit dated. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 on the B121.

Not going to derail the thread but if you could send me a PM to let me know if you can make your Flipsteady out of other exterior colors and materials? I have a couple of B121s around that I'd like to get something than the standard cases on them. Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Isaiah,

I had the same Problem with an Asus eee slate ep 121 and win8.
(No Problems at all with Moi3D beta and Win7)

I have found a solution, the Problem is the Intel HD Graphics Driver.
The existing driver works well with win7, but NOT with win8.

Please take a look, and scroll down to the latest posting:
http://communities.intel.com/message/171033#171033

Go to:
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=intel%20hd%20graphics%208.15.10.2858

After the ->>>manual selection of the new driver,
Moi3d V3 beta works very well with win8 :-)

Some additional Information:

Intel FAQ -> Microsoft* Windows 8* Intel Graphics support FAQ
http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-19289

Microsoft document-> Windows Display Driver Model Enhancements in Windows 8
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/br259098.aspx

EDITED: 13 Nov 2012 by RALF-S

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5547.5 In reply to 5547.4 
Thanks Ralf - Isaiah has told me through e-mail that your solution has worked for him and he's up and running fine now.

Thanks very much for posting the solution!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Yes, my problem seems to be fixed.. Thanks Ralph!! I'm glad I asked for help!

In conclusion

For the Asus EP121

windows 8 x64 + Windows update installs graphics driver = Graphics driver fail in V3

Windows 8 x64 + Manual installation of the exact same driver = V3 works perfectly

Go figure..

Thanks,

Isaiah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All