MoI convert...

Next
I've been involved in Packaging Design for about 5 years or so, with a long history or Graphic Arts before that. When we started a Packaging Design department and made the jump into 3D, we started with Strata, which seemed to be an all-in-one program geared towards those familiar with Adobe CS products. It served us fairly well, but as we became more proficient we began running into problems when it came to any compatibility with the CAD department, which uses SolidWorks for tooling and mold creation. Mesh and Solid modeling don't mix very well. We started using ViaCAD to do project modeling and would import into Strata for rendering. This was better, as we could have two way data exchange with CAD, and we used this combination for about a year. I was introduced to MoI in the Strata forum and was intrigued by it, a powerful 3D NURBS based modeling program for creative types. I played with the demo and liked it. I purchased a license and have started using it exclusively on recent Pkg. Design projects. I love it. Even though I'm still in the learning stage, I'm surprised with how well it works. I've been able to do somethings that I couldn't with either Strata or ViaCAD and it's easier, too! I am now an official MoI convert. I've not had one crash or freeze-up with MoI, something I had often with Strata and ViaCAD. Now I just need to find a good stand-alone rendering package, using Strata strictly as a rendering program is less than ideal. I'm trying out KeyShot, which is cool and runs on a Mac. If anyone has other Mac based rendering software suggestions, I'd be open to them.

Anyway, MoI is a great tool and I'm now an official MoI user and hope to participate in this forum in the future!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5546.2 In reply to 5546.1 
Welcom aboard McRamblet!

Same here...

I had extensive high school training in drafting, both architectural and technical. But I've spent the last two decades as a graphic designer.
Wanted to get into the 3D realm for so long, but nothing was easy to learn or use. I deem myself pretty savvy and technically inclined, but when you're dealing with manipulation of object that could exist in three dimensions, it's a different animal.

I'm such a cheerleader for MoI now, but for good reasons! I finally found that I actually have some 3D design skill!
(I could end up having a good future in this CAD stuff If I'm not too careful ;-)

Hats off to Michael Gibson for making "ease of use" the guiding standard for developing this CAD program!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5546.3 In reply to 5546.1 
Hi mcramblet, welcome to the forum! I'm really glad that you're enjoying using MoI and that it's been stable for you!

> If anyone has other Mac based rendering software suggestions, I'd be open to them.

You might also try Simlab Composer, and Cheetah3d.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All