Background image

Next
Forgive my ignorance but how do I import a BG image so I can use it as a modeling reference?

EDIT:Using the image icon and following the corner points directions yields nothing..

EDITED: 12 Nov 2012 by NICKP100

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5544.2 In reply to 5544.1 
Hi niko, using the View > Image icon like you've tried is the method to do it.

Can you post or e-mail me at moi@moi3d.com with the particular image that you're trying to use? Maybe there is some problem with Moi reading in that particular format or maybe the image is fully transparent or something like that.

When you place the 2 corner points is there a sizing frame that shows up after that?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5544.3 In reply to 5544.2 
I think the problem was that the image file was too big. I made it smaller and it worked!
What is the maximum size I can import?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5544.4 In reply to 5544.1 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5544.5 In reply to 5544.3 
Hi niko,

> What is the maximum size I can import?

There isn't any one specific number, it's as big as you have available memory to handle.

But MoI does need to allocate the memory for the image all as one big chunk though (at which point it gets decompressed if it was in some compressed format like PNG or TIFF or something like that), and so if it is particularly big that can add up to a pretty enormous sized chunk of memory.

And then regardless of your original image resolution MoI will need to transfer it onto your video card as a texture in order to display it in the viewport, so it will then down size it at that point anyway if it's larger than 2048x2048 pixels in size. This limit is adjustable under moi.ini under [View] MaxTextureSize=2048 though.

What was the pixel size and size on disk of the image that you were trying to load initially?

Probably it's a good general guideline to give MoI images around 2048x2048 pixels in size or smaller I guess.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All