Mesh symmetry
All  1-11  12-18

Previous
Next
554.12 In reply to 554.11 
>> However, I have improved the mesher for the next beta to solve at least this case that you show here. Previously it would convert any n-gon into triangles, but with the next beta it will examine the n-gon and if the n-gon is made up of a strip of regular quads as it happens to be in this case, then it will break the n-gon into those quads instead of triangulating it. There are still asymmetries if you use triangles only, but this helps out a bit for the quads + triangles case.

- Sounds good ! Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
554.13 In reply to 554.12 
It seems like it is pretty common to get some ngons like this. So this helps to produce more quads and less triangles.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
One thing I found. When meshing a object created via revolution, setting the "Angle" field to a number that can smoothly divide into 360 seems to produce symmetrical results. Fractional angle values seem to lead to messier meshes.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
554.15 In reply to 554.13 
Hi Michael,

would it be possible to get a quad only export?
I usually continue to work on the models in subd modellers, and to have triangles there is a pain,
so at the moment I have to manually turn triangles into quads...

Thor
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
554.16 In reply to 554.15 
Hi Thor, unfortunately that is not going to be easy for me to do anytime very soon. The underlying surfaces themselves go naturally into quads, but when there are trim curves on the surface (which happens after some types of cutting operations such as booleans), the "surface quad" basically gets cut by arbitrary curves. It is very difficult to take arbitrary trim curves and then try to get quads out of them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
554.17 In reply to 554.16 
Yes, IMO, that's the paradox of using NURBS modelers, generating a mesh that's "polygon app friendly".

It is very difficult, if not impossible...

Typically I use NURBS generated objects as "statics" in my scenes; buildings, furniture, pretty much anything that isn't animated or doesn't require clean topology.

Another option is to load the resultant mesh in to Silo 3D or TopoGun and recreate the hi-res NURBS object into a smaller, all-quad topology. Unfortunately, that just feels like doing extra work to me but it's certainly an option (and mostly the reason why a tool like TopoGun exists...)

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
554.18 In reply to 554.10 
Hi Bernard - it looks like I have managed to fix this problem with closed lofts for the next beta.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-11  12-18