Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Michael, we are grateful for your efforts!

I, in particular would like to play with the Filleting fix.

And you have a "thinner anti-aliasing" on curves?

I'm curious to see if this looks better than how I've been running MoI with the Line Width set to ".1", which seems to make the lines a little thinner.

Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I've already used the mini calculator and the .dxf import feature... Yippeeee!!! ...and will be playing with the other stuff soon.

It looks like MoI isn't recognising the units setting in some imported dxf's from other programs, and so is switching to the No unit system - could that be adjusted at some time? Sample attached.

Great update, as usual - thanks, Michael!

Cheers.

Martin (2)
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I'm going to have to make a decision on which kind of line type to use now. ;-)

Personally, I switch between lighting modes on a whim - maybe I'll do the same with the lines.

Here is an example of what can be done with the Line Width and Line Anti-Aliasing settings.

The "0.1" may not do anything except bring MoI's line width to its minimal.
You can also make the line as thick as you want. For instance, when you use MoI's screen capture script, when the thickness is set to something like "4" and the image is exported at four times your screen size - when reduced in a photo-editing program the final UI image is extremely clean.

Believe it or not, it is possible, in theory. to anti-alias a very thin line until it looks 'virtually' smooth and photo-realistic, but you loose opacity in the bargain as the line blurs into the surroundings.
So - it's wonderful that MoI gives us many options to choose from!

Thanks Michael, I like this option. I think it will come in very handy when I have to work with surface-heavy models.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yes, thanks for this, Michael!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Michael G.! Just downloaded it and can't wait to test fly!

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks a lot, especially for the scripting improvements.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael G. I am getting crashes when trying to open or import .sat file with this beta. Sept. works fine. Attached is the error report.

Thanks,

Michael T.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.11 In reply to 5524.1 
Cool... Thanks..

Will announce this on my site as well..

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.12 In reply to 5524.10 
"""""""""I am getting crashes when trying to open or import .sat file with this beta."""""""""""

Confirmed here too. I wont send the report unless asked for it....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.13 In reply to 5524.10 
Hi Michael T, and Burr yeah it looks like all of STEP, SAT and IGES is busted, as an unintended side effect from the periodic surface update. It should not be difficult to fix and I'll roll out a new release today.

Thanks for the report.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.14 In reply to 5524.13 
Thanks Michael G. The DXF export works well!

Michael T.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.15 In reply to 5524.14 
Hi Michael T and Burr, I've rolled out a new Nov-6 version which should now fix up the SAT/IGES/STEP format crashes, you can get it from here: http://moi3d.com/beta.htm.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.16 In reply to 5524.5 
Hi Martin, thanks for posting the DXF file.

> It looks like MoI isn't recognising the units setting in some imported dxf's from other programs,
> and so is switching to the No unit system - could that be adjusted at some time? Sample
> attached.

This is unfortunately a problem with DXF format in general - Autodesk in their wisdom did not see fit to make an official mechanism in DXF to label what units all the coordinates in the file are using.

There is a "kind of" way to label them, which is a particular AutoCAD variable called "$INSUNITS", which controls what unit system to convert into when inserting blocks from other files. That's the closest thing to any unit system setting in the file, and MoI will look for that variable if it's declared in the header section of the DXF file and use it as the unit system if it's present.

But that's somewhat obscure and many programs just don't write any header section at all in the DXF file, the file you posted is one of those with no header section and so no $INSUNITS variable set, and so nothing in it marking any kind of units at all.

I tested your same file with both Rhino and ViaCAD and ran into the same problem in each of those as well - in each of those other programs if I say set units to inches and then import the file you posted, each of those programs just interprets the coordinates in the file as in inches.

What program are you using to generate this DXF file in the first place, is there possibly any option to enable setting $INSUNITS to be output into the file? If so then that would help make units come across into MoI and also Rhino too.

What happens in the same program that you're using if you set units to inches and then try to import or merge the contents of your file back in again, does it know the units of its own generated DXF file in that case? I would think that you'd see the same problem there.

As far as I know the only real option that I would have for a file with no $INSUNITS set like the one you posted is to pop up a dialog box that asks you what units the file are in, right now it just uses "No unit system" when there are no $INSUNITS present.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.17 In reply to 5524.15 
Thanks Michael G. So far so good. SAT and STEP look okay. Will try IGES next.

Thanks again Michael G for such an incredible tool!

Michael T.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.18 In reply to 5524.15 
"""""""I've rolled out a new Nov-6 version which should now fix up the SAT/IGES/STEP format crashes"""""""""""

Fixed......
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.19 In reply to 5524.14 
Hi Michael T,

> Thanks Michael G. The DXF export works well!

Great! I hope that will be useful, this should totally replace needing to use that other separate 3DM to DXF converter. Also this new version does a better job, doing things like converting lines, circles, and arcs into those kinds of simple object types in the generated DXF file.

There are also a couple of additional settings available in moi.ini for controlling the DXF output, under the [DXF Export] section:

[DXF Export]
UseSimpleEntities=y
NumDecimalPlaces=12

If you set UseSimpleEntities=n it will turn off exporting lines, arcs, and circles as those simple object types and instead export them all as spline object types (or polylines if you have set to export curves as polylines in the export dialog).

NumDecimalPlaces= sets the number of decimal places to use for storing numbers as text in the DXF file. The default of 12 is already quite a lot of precision, but you could bump that up to something like 16 places if you want, it will also make a larger file size as well though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael.

I fear I might have had you on a wild goose chase there.

I'm 100% sure that file originated in ViaCAD. However, I do (now) remember taking it into Ucancam (a CAM program) and working with it there. I must have re-exported and lost the Unit information from within Ucancam because dxf exports from ViaCAD seem to come into MoI with their Unit details intact - so this is definitely my mistake and not an error made by MoI.

Sorry for putting you to unnecessary extra work, I'll try to pay more attention to what I'm doing in the future.

Thanks for your reply - enjoying the latest features :-)

Martin (2).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.21 In reply to 5524.20 
Hi Martin, no problem - I'm still not entirely sure what I should do for this kind of case where there is no $INSUNITS value set inside the DXF file, I guess the choices are that I could take it as "No unit system" which is what happens currently or the other choice is that I could pop up an additional dialog box that asks you what the units are and relies on you to happen to know the answer.

It sounds like this might be a nice improvement to ask for from Ucancam though, to write this particular $INSUNITS header value with the units setting out when they generate a DXF file, so that their DXF output would go into other programs with a units setting intact.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5524.22 In reply to 5524.21 
Michael.

I'll certainly ask them at Ucancam, but interestingly, they use a pop up on import.

My view is that a Choose Unit pop up might be best, where they aren't embedded in the import file. The user then has to make the decision and wouldn't be put in the position of being puzzled by the lack of displayed units in MoI.

Even if the wrong units are picked, the user still knows which system he's chosen and can then scale the drawing accordingly - well at least that would work for me :)

Cheers.

Martin (2).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-2  3-22  23-42  43-62  63-82  …  103-115