MoI 3D and Modo
All  1-3  4-11

Previous
Next
5506.4 In reply to 5506.2 
Hi Robert,

> Else, it's fun to work with both apps, only moi could benefit from a bit more speed on larger datasets.

If you're using large data sets, it can help to adjust some settings in MoI to make a coarser display mesh. The default settings tend to make a heavy display mesh which makes things look nice and smooth but can be too heavy if you have a high density model.

Check out here for a description of what settings to adjust:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4643.4

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5506.5 In reply to 5506.1 
Hi DesuDeus, so normally with Modo I would recommend using LWO format.

And if you're using Modo 601 you will need to set the option under Options > Import/Export > LWO options > "Vertex normals sstyle" to be: "LightWave v10".

The "Modo" setting there actually applies to Modo version 501 or previous, not 601. Starting with Modo 601 they switched how they interpret vertex normals from LWO files to be the same as LW10 so you want to use that setting there for Modo 601.

I've got it on my todo list to modify the labeling of that setting in MoI to make this clearer.

> There's a Modo kit for Nurbs that can import IGES and STP etc.. is it good ?
>
> Does this kit import MoI .3DM also ?

I don't think that kit imports 3DM, and from what I've heard even people who have that kit tend to like to use MoI to do the mesh conversion because the kit does not seem to do "native" n-gon generation, from what I remember it tries to take some initially triangulated output and then patches them together to try and make n-gons rather than the tessellator directly generating them like MoI's does.

So it's worth testing it but I'm not sure that you would gain a whole lot by using it.

In previous versions of Modo there was a separate 3DM import plug-in but it only read in display mesh data from the 3DM file and did not process the NURBS data directly, so it did not work with 3DM files saved out of MoI since MoI only writes NURBS data into 3DM files and not display meshes. So don't get too excited if you see a mention of that one either... ;)

> What about Modo triangulation when importing Ngons ? Had some problems with
> extruded text in Ngons from MoI to C4D

There can occasionally be problems with n-gon triangulation with certain n-gon shapes but it's pretty unusual to run into it. You should usually be able to use n-gons and switch to "Quads & triangles" only in particular cases where you see a problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5506.6 In reply to 5506.1 
Hi Desudeus,

I know you have asked about workflow and I will get to that but wanted to set the scene for our use of Moi and Modo first;

I can only speak from by own business perspective but we use the Moi3D and Modo 601 exclusively and have done since I started started the company in 2010. Spaceclaim is also used as an engineering layout platform. I came from a business that was using a workflow that used 3Dmax & Autodesk Mechanical (plus Adobe products). The three main reason for Moi and Modo choice were speed and cost. Speed - for us Modo and Moi, together, have reduced the speed to store of all the retail fixtures, stores and exhibition booths we design. By eliminating the duplication of layout that 3Dmax and Inventor required. Mesh models had to be completely rebuilt from scratch to allow factory build. With Moi (which I have been using since 2008) we do the following to halve the time to market;
1- model exclusively in Moi - all designers use this as a base tool as it all unbelievably rapid store build. We also use Spaceclaim to push / pull 3dm files around, make changes and layout technical drawings. A good partner programme.
2- Export LWO (v10 at present due to errors in the modo format) - pre applying styles in Moi is a bonus as as you build a scene from imported parts in Modo you can delete the imported materials and all the pre made materials get assigned to existing Moi 'styles' on the new imports. This can be great if you are building a house style for client that always uses a base pallet of materials. A time saver! The mesher in Moi also allow fast mesh optimization without having to have other plugins in Modo, a cost saver. Good for interior scenes where you are never going to get too close to any one objects and see the facets.
3- Large scenes - use Moi to build sections of a scene in parts as Moi LWO files import in the associate position. Another good bonus.
4 - Modo - used exclusively for scene building (from Moi parts), tweaking some meshes, applying maps, instancing multiple meshes, lighting and animation.
5 - Rendering - we network render (5 nodes) to speed up the big scenes.
6 - A good dose of photoshop to finish the images...

Benefit 2; Cost
Here in the UK 3Dmax and Autodesk Mechanical (icluding subs) are approx £9,600 for new seats ($15,300 approx). When you are building a studio this a lot of money! But Moi / Modo / Spaceclaim are £4,700 approx total ($7,500 approx) a big saving with a big increase in productivity.

Benefit 3; Learning curve
Modo and Moi are amazingly easy to learn. I can safely say (from personal experience) you can turn our decent models / renders with the Moi / Modo duo in a day from never using them (if you are an experienced cad monkey)

Other Moi benefits for us are;
1- ai import / export - Moi is so much better for creating base patterns / outline illustrations with a technical bent.
2- The very adaptable Moi visual interface is great for early selling in of concepts without rendering time.

I have attached a sample image of a job we delivered to Harrods last year. On our website www.double-europe.com all projcts you can see have been built in Moi3D and were rendered (originally) in Modo.

I hope this helps, a long blog... but hopefully usefull to all
Image Attachments:
Size: 71.9 KB, Downloaded: 229 times, Dimensions: 586x753px
Size: 45.7 KB, Downloaded: 185 times, Dimensions: 583x504px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5506.7 In reply to 5506.6 
Cool stuff with MoI there, Matt!

You may already know this, but just in case you haven't seen it before, there is a script that you can set up to make MoI generate a higher than screen resolution viewport image and put it on the clipboard, it can be useful to get a quick higher quality screengrab, details here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1049.5

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5506.8 In reply to 5506.7 
Hi Michael, we are already using that script. A good one for screen grabbing a view at high res and the the same view with just the 'clear' styles. Then in photoshop turning the clear styles into clear materials with the multiply layer style. Does this make sense? This is a visual shortcut to creating clear materials in multi layered screen grabs.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Here is an interior made in MoI and rendered in modo 501 some time ago. Except from the furniture, everything is MoI.

I always use lwo with 3 degrees and avoid larger than 0.1, this usually gives me nice rounded edges and avoid too dense meshes.
Image Attachments:
Size: 54.6 KB, Downloaded: 206 times, Dimensions: 720x480px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Matt for that input

I used MoI the last few weeks for design works too, watches displays for Parmigiani Fleurier, Some work for Rolex (deepsea challenger), a shop window for Moët + Chandon in Geneva and super detailled cross sections of a lot of different windows models for a private client.

I make everything in MoI then use C4D for instancing, scene setup, light and rendering.

I will learn modo the next few weeks :) It looks perfect for what I do.
-- shapenoid.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5506.11 In reply to 5506.10 
One word of warning. Set up auto save on Modo as it still has a tendency to crash on Mac &PC. Still very fast though.. Happy learning!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-11