Windows 8

Next
I'm looking at a new ultrabook. The one I am interested in is an i7 64bit Windows 8 model.

Will MoI run on this system with no problems ???

thanks,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5483.2 In reply to 5483.1 
Hi eric, I don't actually know yet, no one has told me yet how things are working for them on the full version of Windows 8 - I think it still hasn't been released quite yet has it?

I would expect though that it should work but I do not have verification about anything under Windows 8 quite yet. There is always some possibility that there may need to be some adjustment needed in MoI in order for it to work ok there, I just don't know yet though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5483.3 In reply to 5483.1 
But an i7 is a "normal" Intel based machine and that's the kind that you would want in order to be able to run regular desktop software.

One thing to watch out for will be Windows 8 tablets that are using ARM cpu chips in them instead of Intel ones - those ones will not run regular desktop software. I know for sure that MoI will not run on the ARM-based tablets, those ones will only be set up to run those tablet/touch screen focused "Metro" style applications.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5483.4 In reply to 5483.3 
Thanks Michael ...

Only a few laptops and desktops are being offered with Windows 8 installed. They are higher end machines than I have budgeted for so it probably won't be an issue though I do plan to have a look at them. Definitely I am only looking at i7 laptops or ultrabooks ... no tablets.

My current laptop is big, heavy and five years old. MoI works just fine on it but it takes a backpack to lug it around. I am hoping for something to take to a client's house and set on the corner of the kitchen table for a quick 3d pdf view of their proposed renovation or new house preliminary drawings.

cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5483.5 In reply to 5483.4 
I'm running Windows 8 RTM on my main workstation (Windows 7 was totally hosed and I needed to do a clean install anyway).

So far I've had no issues with any major software, including MOI. The only thing that's had an issue is my Dataplex SSD caching software. When it's installed it makes my registry read-only and I can no longer install or uninstall anything.

Otherwise I've found it to be a nice OS. It's different, but honestly I don't see what all the whining is about. The start menu is actually still there, you just go to the bottom left of your screen and right-click. Otherwise you can use the start window with the tiles.

I personally just use Launchy and don't worry about either one.

-Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All