Trouble with Boolean Diff
All  1-2  3-8

Previous
Next
5482.3 In reply to 5482.2 
Thanks Mike

I'll try both options..... Strange that I've used the same font on various pieces ( but all flat) first slightly curved solid nothing but trouble :(

Cheers, Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5482.4 In reply to 5482.1 
Hi Steve, this kind of "barely grazing overlapping surfaces" type stuff can be difficult for the booleans to resolve well.

With this font you get that kind of overlap because of the way the characters stick partially into one another.

Then after doing a flow it means that many of the surfaces involved are not quite 100% equal, they're got just a very slight amount of wiggle between them where they intersect, that makes things especially difficult for the booleans. So yes possibly doing the boolean on the totally straight text initially would have a better chance of success because the overlap in that case would be much more exact with simple planes involved instead of overlapping slightly curved/refit (from the flow) pieces like you have here.

Here's the kind of overlap that becomes difficult, here looking at the underside of the i:

Sometimes that kind of thing can work ok, but it can help a lot the more exactly the surfaces are meeting. When some pieces happen to meet a little less exactly it gets quite difficult for the intersector to get a clean intersection result from all of that skimming overlap.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5482.5 In reply to 5482.4 
Thanks Mike and Michael

I should have realized that was the issue myself :(

Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5482.6 In reply to 5482.5 
Hi

I Boolean Joined all the letters into 1 solid before flowing, and then the diff worked OK.. :)

I've noticed on the OSX version, when Display Hidden lines is unchecked, it still shows the hidden lines has solid lines..

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5482.7 In reply to 5482.6 
Hi steve, I'm glad you've got it working ok now.

> I've noticed on the OSX version, when Display Hidden lines is unchecked, it still
> shows the hidden lines has solid lines..

I've just tested the OSX version and it seems to be working normally - try for example on a box and you should see the back edges of the box show or hide when you check or uncheck View > Display hidden lines.

But even with hidden lines turned off you can get "bleed through" which is a different issue, see here for more information on that:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4987.2
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4061.6

That's one of the various kinds of display artifacts that can happen with the real time display - because it's a big focus for the display to be fast there are a bunch of different kinds of imperfections that you can end up seeing in it that you would not see in an "offline render" type image.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5482.8 In reply to 5482.7 
Hi Micheal

"Bleed Through" sounds like my problem, The Boolean diff leterrs are only .4mm deep.

Thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-8