relative constraint with polylines drawing...
 1-11  12-31

Previous
Next
547.12 In reply to 547.11 

Hi guys,

>I've thought about that a bit, but I've sort of been trying to avoid showing colors for different axes because it tends to lead to confusion later on when the construction planes can be re-oriented to arbitrary planes instead of along a world plane. For V1 they are always aligned to world planes, but I'd like to allow them to have different orientations in the future.

IMO being able to know the current orientation of the construction plane is important.This is especially true when you model in the 3d View ( BTW it would be cool to be able to maximize the "current" viewport with a keyboard shortcut....maybe its already possible I have not investigate that ) and when you zoom on some parts.

>Hmmm, there actually already is a rotation happening by default for OBJ export that is supposed to solve this problem. I just tried a quick test export into modo, and it seemed to import into the expected orientation there. What steps are you using to get a different result?

Yes there's already a rotation ( z up to y up ) . Actually I cancel this rotation to go back to MoI space(->counterclockwise around the x axis to be in the same space ) The fact is that your choice ( I prefer consistency instead.... if you cant provide a complete solution ) is not the expected result for most artists I think. For example I have a cone which is pointing in the positive Y direction and located on the positive x side. Most artists will expect to get this cone to be located on the positive X side and oriented in the POSITIVE Z direction. Again your choice is not a problem for me but can be confusing for some artists. If you stay on this choice be sure to have a very clear documentation.
Some people wont "change" their pipeline ( -> wont allow artists to use MoI ) just because of that ( this is especially true in the video game industry )...

>I find those programs that alter the visible grid scale all the time to be very disorienting, it tends to cause me to lose my sense of scale.

Yes me too. I am using lightwave and modo for modeling. In those softs the grid scale is changing all the time and I don't like that. I think you don't need to change the grid scale based on this feature. The most important is to able to toggle this feature on the fly and see the current step.

>Version 1.0 is more focused on creating surfaces by construction methods based on drawing curves

Drawing curves in the 3d view is very important IMO ( try amapi if you havn't -> Look at the constraint system and the "adaptive" features ).
amapi 6 is free :
http://forums.polyloop.net/software-misc-logiciels-divers/

amapi7 :
http://downloads.e-frontier.com/us/user/home.php?cat=1349

Borhan.

EDITED: 23 Apr 2007 by LABUZZ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.13 In reply to 547.12 
Hi Borhan, thanks for the feedback!

> IMO being able to know the current orientation of the construction plane is important.

Under normal circumstances just looking at the grid will tell you that already - the accented x and y axes of the grid form an "L" shape which from a simple viewing angle from above is distinct enough to determine x from y. Also when you're drawing something with straight snap engaged, any time straight snap locks on to one of the world axes, it will show "x", "y", or "z" at the base point, so watching for that will give you another indicator if you are uncertain which direction is which.

Too many bright colors all over the viewport are rather distracting and "in your face" - that's another reason why I didn't want to do that by default.

If you do want different colors for the x and y axis of the construction plane, there is an option available for that, go to "Grid snap" on the bottom bar and pop out the menu above it and choose "grid options", there are options there to set the colors for the X axis and Y axis of the construction plane there. Note - that these colors will be for the local x/y axes of the construction plane, not colored by world axis.

> ( BTW it would be cool to be able to maximize the "current" viewport with a keyboard
> shortcut....maybe its already possible I have not investigate that )

This is possible with a script macro in a keyboard shortcut:

[Shortcut Keys]
Space=script:if ( moi.ui.mainWindow.viewpanel.mode != 'split' ) { moi.ui.mainWindow.viewpanel.mode = 'split' } else { var viewport = moi.ui.getViewportUnderMouse(); if ( viewport ) { viewport.viewPanel.mode = viewport.name } }

That will set up the space bar to maximize the view currently under the mouse, or switch back to a split view if one is currently maximized.

There are some other useful scripts that Petr has collected here: http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/

> Actually I cancel this rotation to go back to MoI space(->counterclockwise around the
> x axis to be in the same space )

In that case you may want to set the "SwapAxes=n" option in moi.ini, that will stop MoI from doing any manipulation to the coordinates.

> The fact is that your choice ( I prefer consistency instead.... if you cant provide
> a complete solution ) is not the expected result for most artists I think.

I'd be very surprised if the current system is not what artists expect - your message here is actually the very first complaint that I've heard about it!

Typically most people are more concerned about "up, down, left, and right" instead of "x,y,z".

The current system rotates objects to preserve what is considered the "up" direction.

For example if you draw a cone in MoI and have it centered on the world origin and pointing "up" along the z axis in MoI, when you import that cone into Modo most people would expect to see the cone pointing "up" in Modo as well, which means orienting it along the y axis in Modo.

I guess I don't really understand what you would prefer instead - you would rather map the "up" direction in MoI to some other direction than "up" in Modo?

> Drawing curves in the 3d view is very important IMO

If the curve you are drawing is rather detailed or has many points, it is better to draw it in one of the ortho views because it tends to be difficult to control proportion of fine details in the 3d view.

But certainly for simple curves it is useful to draw them in the 3d view - and MoI supports a couple of features to make it possible to do that.

The most basic is straight snap - this can be used to snap the second point of a line to the z axis in the 3D view, to draw a line that comes up in 3D off of the plane.

To get more detailed control of 3D point placement you can use a construction line combined with straight snap to set up guide lines that allow you to track off of the plane.

Here is an example - let's say you want to draw a hoop coming up in 3D above this line segment:

Start the Draw curve / Freeform / Control points command.

Snap the first point of the curve to the end of the line, and use straight snap to snap the second point above it in Z:

Now for the interesting part - we'll create a construction line as a snapping aid for the 3rd point. Before placing the 3rd point, go to the other end of the line, and drag out a construction line. This is done by doing a click, hold down and drag instead of a click and release. The construction line can be dragged out in z, giving a type of temporary "post" or "pillar" there for snapping:

Now that the construction line is placed, we can do a perpendicular snap on to it for the 3rd point:

And finally snap the 4th point to the other end, the result is a symmetrical hoop that comes vertically up off the plane:

So you can use construction lines in this manner as a way to get points up "off the plane" inside the 3d view.

> ( try amapi if you havn't -> Look at the constraint system and the "adaptive" features ).

I've tried it before, and it is interesting but there are also some things that I don't like. When I want to draw on a certain plane, I have to change my view to a certain angle to snap on to it. This causes my view to be restricted - I can't just operate with my view anywhere I want, I have to move around to certain angles for certain operations. In some ways I don't like the restricted feeling of this, I like to have more free control over that 3d view.

The view angles around 45 degrees are so become kind of weird, since there is a huge change in functionality if you take just one step from say 44 degree view elevation to 46 degree. This is kind of odd in general, to have a huge shift in functionality by a very small change in something else...

But I can see how it is useful for some situations. However, I think I prefer to be in more explicit control of switching the plane.

Does the Amapi constraint/adaptive system allow for drawing the hoop like I showed above?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.14 In reply to 547.13 
Not more easy to draw just a "perpendicular vertical helper" by the center of the line and draw the 3 pts arc by Start On End ? ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery

EDITED: 23 Apr 2007 by PILOU

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.15 In reply to 547.14 
> Not more easy to draw just a "perpendicular vertical helper" by the center of the
> line and draw the 3 pts arc by Start On End ? ;)

Hi Pilou, that's easy, but it will create a different type of shape. The one that I drew has end tangents that point straight vertically downward.

If you draw an arc like you mention, it won't generally have end tangents that point down, except for one arc at the exact right height.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.16 In reply to 547.15 
So I must think of the good height :)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.17 In reply to 547.16 
Well, the proper height woudl be 1/2 the length of the line.

This is possible to do by drawing a construction line from the midpoint of the line to the end, and then using "Reorient" to point it upwards...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.18 In reply to 547.17 
Yes the reorient of the cline on the Z vertical seems the more tricky & speedy!

it's not planed to have "circurlar lines helpers" ?
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.19 In reply to 547.18 
> it's not planed to have "circurlar lines helpers" ?

I don't have any plan for this right now... It's a bit more difficult to think of a way to do this easily since a circle is a planar shape, it isn't automatically fully defined by only 2 points unless you fix it to a particular plane.

The nice thing about construction lines are that they are fully defined by the 2 points that you use to create them (point you start dragging on, and point you release on).

I'm not sure that "construction circles" are needed in enough situations to be useful enough to have a special mechanism for them instead of just drawing a circle and erasing it later...

Also a construction line is different from a regular line because it has infinite extension... But I'm not sure what a "construction circle" would give different from just drawing a regular circle as a helper.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.20 In reply to 547.19 
Sorry I wanted to say "circles helpers"
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.21 In reply to 547.20 
> Sorry I wanted to say "circles helpers"

I thought that was what you meant.

Do you have a situation where a "construction circle" would help out a lot more than just drawing a regular circle object?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.22 In reply to 547.21 

For example if you draw a "Font Alphabet" maybe these circles helpers can be help
But I am agree that drawing a normal circle can be erased after some constructions :)

---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.23 In reply to 547.22 
> For example if you draw a "Font Alphabet"

The next beta will have a new "Text" feature so you won't have to draw your alphabet by hand anymore, you'll be able to use TrueType fonts... :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.24 In reply to 547.13 

> Typically most people are more concerned about "up, down, left, and right" instead of "x,y,z".

The beautiful thing about MoI is that you don't have to deal with
a lot of the annoying idiosyncratic mechanisms typical of most other 3D programs.
There are some technical things to learn and concepts to understand, but the
interface is fairly transparent in that it's not inhibiting you so much from being
involved in the creative process.

Michael, I was trying to figure out how to use construction lines to re-orient a curve, similar to
the way Rhino's "orient 2 points" works, but then I realized it would have to scale and move
at the same time. Is that something that we'll eventually be able to do in MoI? Is there a way to do it now?

Thanks,

-Jesse

EDITED: 23 Apr 2007 by JESSE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.25 In reply to 547.24 
> similar to the way Rhino's "orient 2 points" works, but then I realized it would
> have to scale and move at the same time.

Yeah, that actually does move + rotate + scale all combined together.

> Is that something that we'll eventually be able to do in MoI?

Yes, it will definitely be a part of the batch of orientation tools that I will work on for V2.

> Is there a way to do it now?

You can get the same thing right now by doing 3 steps of drag, and then rotate, and then scale. If you need more details, can you please post an example file of your curve and where you wish to place it?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.26 In reply to 547.23 

< The next beta will have a new "Text" feature so you won't have to draw your alphabet by hand anymore, you'll be able to use TrueType fonts... :)
Hehe
Very cool news for the Moi's users !!!
Maybe a little less for Font's creators using Moi's helpers o:)

In fact as you can reorient or rotate the clines it's like one circle's radius but not like a real complet "circle background helper" :)

---
Pilou
My Gallery

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.27 In reply to 547.26 
> In fact as you can reorient or rotate the clines it's like one circle's
> radius but not like a real complet "circle background helper" :)

Eventually I may be able to provide some additional snaps during this cline reorient / rotation, since the construction line has 2 points the distance between them could be used as the radius of a sphere that could be intersected with other nearby objects. But I'm not going to try that one for V1.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.28 In reply to 547.27 
Seems Dürer has used massively circles helpers :)

in fact maybe "color layers background helpers" or similar will be also useful for drawing curves over a model?

---
Pilou
My Gallery

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.29 In reply to 547.27 
Hi Michael,

>I'd be very surprised if the current system is not what artists expect - your message here is actually the very first complaint that I've heard about it!

Typically most people are more concerned about "up, down, left, and right" instead of "x,y,z".

The current system rotates objects to preserve what is considered the "up" direction.

Sorry I must be more specific here. I am talking about a 3d real time pipeline mainly. In such pipeline you export a geometry and you have to consider the complete orientation of the object not just the up direction. Look at this example, this is a car that I have done : the car is pointing in the positive Z direction and the driver is on the positive X side. So if I am using MoI to build a mesh ( the starting point ! ) I would need to transform the mesh in my "final"(-> export) software. This is a room for errors ( and this error can be difficult to see early in the process with a more "generic" type of mesh...) that won't be accepted in many companies...it may sound stupid but its true.
Most meshs from MoI won't be used for the final output but they will need to match the low polygon version(-> for backing :normal map, occlusion, ...). Another thing is the fact that MoI will be used as a starting point mainly.

>I guess I don't really understand what you would prefer instead

Actually you have 2 solutions ( not necessary for v1 ) :
* provide a more complete output.
*Allow us to build in the correct orientation right from the start-> Let me choose the "ground" plane ( and based on this choice, feature like vertical snap should follow of course ).

>yep straight snap ( vertical snap ) is what I was looking for, don't know why I have miss that..It's an old rhino feature too if I remember correctly. Tks for the info on the workflow with Clines and I can't wait for an arbitrary construction plane ( maybe in v2 )!
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
547.30 In reply to 547.25 
Hi Michael,

Thanks, yes, rotate would have to be part of the orient2points, too, I didn't think of that. ;-)
Since I would usually be using it to place cross sections along two rails, maybe I can array
a certain number of them along the rails and then rotate and scale them for now.

-Jesse
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
547.31 In reply to 547.29 
>yep straight snap ( vertical snap ) is what I was looking for, don't know why
> I have miss that..It's an old rhino feature too if I remember correctly.

Almost - the old Rhino feature was similar but slightly different, it was called "elevator mode". If you held down the control key it would lock down the x,y point on the plane and let you track vertically off of the plane, and you used a different method ("ortho", activated with shift) to do straight lines in the x and y axes, but ortho did not snap in Z.

For MoI I really wanted to get away from using all those kinds of special modifier keys like Shift and Control, etc...

> I can't wait for an arbitrary construction plane ( maybe in v2 )!

Yup, I think these will be a part of V2.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-11  12-31