"V Carve" tool from curve
All  1-8  9-14

Previous
Next
5457.9 In reply to 5457.8 
Pierre,

Do you want to actually produce a 3D model with a V groove in the design, or do you want to produce a rendered image of what the final carved object will look like?

If you are wanting to just make a rendered image of the final result, I would recommend getting a render program that supports negative displacement mapping.

Maxwell is an example render program that I have experience with using this technique.

You would create a black & white, evenly graduated displacement map from your carved design. This can easily be done in a vector program like Corel Draw. The white center areas represent the point (deepest part) of your V cutter, the black represents the widest part of the cutter. The graduated gray area represents the V taper of the cutter.

The settings in Maxwell for displacement mapping will allow you to simulate the V cut in a very convincing way without the need to actually model the cuts.

For example, I created the text engraving in this ring render with a displacement map (my engraving tool has a round bottom rather than a V shape). I've modeled text engraving in MoI as well - each method has advantages and disadvantages.

Ed

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5457.10 In reply to 5457.9 
hello,

Thanks you for your replies.
I would like to produce MOI 3D models with Vcarve patterns on them for my 3D gallery (it wasn't a cnc question for me). I think i'm going to go back to Sketchup tool (follow me tool) importing 2d open curves (path) from MOI. I thought it wasn't so complex to do in MOI ... I'm going to try.

Pierre.

EDITED: 9 Oct 2012 by PIERREARCHI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5457.11 In reply to 5457.10 
The problem i have now is opened 2D curves lines on 3D object faces from MOI are not imported in sketchup or 3DS format !!! Damned. A solution ???

I think i have found the solution in Sketchup :

- 1) Fredo curves plugin : great.
- 2) Profile builder from Smustard maybe.

Pierre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcpGwlfu3vU&feature=player_embedded

EDITED: 10 Oct 2012 by PIERREARCHI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 5457.12 deleted 10 Oct 2012 by PIERREARCHI

Message 5457.13 deleted 10 Oct 2012 by PIERREARCHI

Previous
5457.14 In reply to 5457.11 
Hi Pierre, if you do a "Save As" and have both curves and surfaces, the curves are not written to SKP format in that case, that's because the curves can be kind of strange in a certain way to export since they get embedded in objects because SketchUp merges things together.

But if you select both surfaces and curves and do a File > Export instead of just a "Save As" then they should export.

Also the curve SKP export can occasionally crash inside the SketchUp library in some cases when it does end up merging some curve vertices together with other neighboring ones so make sure to save your work before doing that kind of export.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-8  9-14