IGES Export for prototyping
All  1  2-9

Previous
Next
5393.2 In reply to 5393.1 
Hi Bill, my first suggestion is that you should ask them if they can take STEP format instead of only IGES.

STEP format maintains all the connection information in the file, so it will tend to have less work to do on the receiving side as far as figuring out how the solid is supposed to be formed.

With IGES format all the surfaces are basically just individual separate pieces in the file, so the receiving application needs to do more work for figuring out how they all join together, and that's particularly difficult if there is more than one part in the file with the parts touching each other in some spots.

I haven't checked out your specific files yet, that's just general purpose advice.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5393.3 In reply to 5393.1 
And SolidWorks can definitely take STEP files in addition to IGES, so using STEP format can probably work for your case.

I'll take a look at your files though too to see if anything jumps out at me in your file structure.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5393.4 In reply to 5393.1 
Hi Bill, also if I remember right SolidWorks also has a method built in for opening 3DM files too, so it might work to send them your 3DM file directly too - that should also export solids information in and not have the "figure out how the surfaces join up" thing as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5393.5 In reply to 5393.1 
Hi Bill, so ok I've looked at your file and it looks like you do have 4 different separate objects in it which are touching each other, so that's running into a problem in IGES where it tends to be difficult for the receiving application to figure out how a big pile of separate surfaces should be glued back together into solids when some of the individual pieces are touching each other.

Using STEP format should probably help with this, that's probably best to send that instead of IGES.

If you must use IGES format for some reason then try exporting each individual object out as a separate IGES file rather than having them all together in one single file. You can do that by selecting one object and using File > Export which writes out just the selected objects to the file you pick instead of everything.

Hope this helps!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5393.6 In reply to 5393.5 
Hi Michael and All,
Please excuse the lateness of this reply, press of business has been extreme in the last two weeks. We managed to get through the deadline by using STEP files, but I seem to have discovered part of my problem. It is, indeed, the way I am putting shapes together that seems to be the issue. So, let me ask this question. Is the use of "JOIN" qualitatively different than using boolean joining techniques? Is there a script or some other way to test joins to make sure they are good? I know the script for identifying open curves, but this is different, is it not?

I really appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Bill
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5393.7 In reply to 5393.6 
Hi Bill,

> Is the use of "JOIN" qualitatively different than using boolean joining techniques?

No, they both generate the same kind of result - a solid in MoI (and 99% of other CAD programs) is defined by a set of surfaces joined together at their edges to form a "watertight" skin. It should not matter which particular route you go through to get to that result.

> Is there a script or some other way to test joins to make sure they are good?

Yes, the first thing to look for is when you select an object look at the object type indicator in the properties panel in the upper-right area of the main window. That will read as "solid" if the object is a fully closed solid, and it will say "Joined srf" instead if it is made up of multiple surfaces joined together but with some open edges in it that are not joined to other things.

If you have an open object you can then set up a shortcut key that will highlight the "naked" edges (edges that belong to only one surface instead of being joined between 2 surfaces) so you can identify them. See here for how to do that:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4869.5

> I know the script for identifying open curves, but this is different, is it not?

It's similar but yes a slightly different process - for surfaces/solids you're looking for unattached edges rather than just looking at endpoints.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5393.8 In reply to 5393.6 
Hi Bill,

Just to add to Michael's post, you also have to remember when using NURBS modellers and you want to 'connect' pieces together you usually 'Boolean Union' Solids bodies and 'Join' Surfaces, you can also use the Boolean functions on surfaces, like if you have overlapping planar surfaces on the same plane you can 'Boolean Union' them together to get one surface, but you can't 'Join' Solid bodies.

Hope this clarifies further
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5393.9 In reply to 5393.8 
Thank you both for your time. I was obviously not joining surfaces correctly, so am looking for much better results in the future.

Best regards,
BIll
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-9