tutorial for jewelry

Next
Dears,
first, thank you very much for MOI and this great forum.
1- A question to Michael?
Do you have any idea about the cost of MOI?

2- to everybody out there.... I am struggling to learn Rhino to use in creating jewelry designs...let's say that after 12hrs working, opening Rhino and learn it's hard.
Somehow MOI is much more intuitive and easy and I have a very good feeling...seems that I am learning faster. I really like it a lot!
However, I really would like to have some kind of tutorials in creating simple, bezel or prongs rings with a center stone (see attachments).
One is a rendered 3D model created in Rhino adn rendered in flamingo, the other is a sapphire ring we crafted a while ago, 3rd one is a red coral ring, again crafted a while ago.
Not sure that I am asking too much....thank you very much to all of you, to Michael, for all your time and expertise, and definetely looking forward to buy V.1

Rudy

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
538.2 In reply to 538.1 
Hi Rudy, I'm glad that you are feeling productive in MoI!

> 1- A question to Michael?
> Do you have any idea about the cost of MOI?

I expect the V1 price to be around US $200.

re: Ring tutorials - I wonder if there is any existing tutorials out there for doing rings like that using Rhino. I would guess that things like that could also give you ideas and techniques that you could use in MoI as well. Maybe Jesse will be able to comment on this?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
538.3 In reply to 538.2 
Michael,
You have a customer.

Yes, I am using Rhino's tutorials for jewelry, (very slowly....) but do not see how I can do tapered shanks, in addition it is more technical than MOI, and I have to re-think in simpler form.....therefore I have to.....I guess....to become better in CAD (I know, probably for you guys it sounds like a joke all this ...)
anyway, waiting for some more replies.
Thank you again Michael.
Good night.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
538.4 In reply to 538.1 

Hi Rudy,

This is the simplest way you can make a tapered band. There are two profiles, which are the cross-sections of the band; one at the top and one at the base of the ring circle.They are selected as profiles for a <Sweep>, using the finger circle as the rail. You can also do some other variations with two rails and scale rails which will give you more control over the shape.
For the stone mounting I also did a 1 rail sweep, sweeping a modified arc around the oval.
The resulting surface was then made solid by selecting it and clicking on <Planar>, which capped it with a top and bottom surface.
The bezel was extruded from the two inner ovals. Cap ends was checked for the extrude. The mounting base and the bezel are Boolean unioned. Then a cylinder was extruded with closed caps ,using the finger circle.(center circle)
The cylinder is Boolean subtracted from the mounting.
The top section is Boolean unioned to the band.
The connection between the stone mounting and the top of the ring was filleted a little to soften the seam.The top outer edge of the mounting base was also filleted. Since the cabochon is only for visualization purposes, I quickly made it from a solid sphere, and using the oval as a guide to shape it, I scaled the sphere with scale 1d so that it fits in the oval at it's middle. The last step is to turn on the control points of the modified sphere and move the points located below the oval curve in the front viewport until they snap into a flat surface at the level of the oval. The control points on the top of the stone can be selected all together and moved down to make the dome of the stone a bit less high. Hope this helps, If you have any questions, please ask. I'll try to post some other ways to make these rings later.

-Jesse

Note* Regarding the Boolean operations.... because the top section and the band share a coincendental curve, the Boolean blows out the inner surface, if the mounting is joined to the band before the hole is punched out of the mounting. If the bezel and mounting base are Booleaned together first, it should work fine.

Another way to make the band is a two rail sweep, using the angled side curves as rails and the cross section curves as sweep profiles.

EDITED: 11 Apr 2007 by JESSE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
538.5 In reply to 538.4 
Dear Jesse,
Thank you so much for all this.
Even though your terminology sounds a bit complicated for a novice like me, I am sure I will get there.
Today I started to create some bezel head and I am pretty happy with the result.
I have to say, MOI is easier than Rhino. And to me that is very good for start.
I will keep my progresses posted.
I really appreciate your time you are taking for teaching me...too valuable!
Thank you!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
538.6 In reply to 538.5 

Hi Rudy,

This morning I didn't have time to write a full tutorial so I just posted the models with a quick explanation. I'm glad some of it was understandable...As I read your message I remembered how confusing it was when I first began working in Rhino...I'm not a math or engineering guy, so I found all the new terminology and concepts very intimidating at first

I'll break the construction of the ring down into separate examples for each step and post a new file. Then, if there is anything in particular that you have questions about, please post it on the forum.

I agree that MoI is easier to approach and it just feels more comfortable to work in it...I find myself using it more than Rhino these days. Rhino really isn't hard to learn, once you get your initial bearings, but it can be intimidating because that there are so many tools and options to take in at once, that you don't know where to start! And if you're accustomed to working at the bench with regular jewelry making tools, you also have to adjust your mind to a different way to think about design... it really does require some extra metal energy to absorb all these new concepts and methods, but the benefit of it is that by learning to merge art and technology you can open up your creativity in ways you've never imagined before and have the ability to make things that were not possible for you to do by hand. It's really amazing! ;-)

Jesse

EDITED: 11 Apr 2007 by JESSE

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
538.7 In reply to 538.6 
Thank you Jesse.
I will post in this thread my questions.
I will post some JPG sketched by hand also to get to my point....
I am a slow learner, therefore I have to really learn one step at the time, like a child is learning to walk.
Rudy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
538.8 In reply to 538.7 
Hi Rudy,

Sounds good..post your models and ask questions...there are many people who have a lot to offer on this forum...and check out some of the other
tutorials, even if they're not for jewelry, everything you learn will apply. I posted some step by step examples and variations of the ring model in my previous post.

Regards,

Jesse
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
538.9 In reply to 538.8 
You can find some links to some other general tutorials here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=542.2

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
538.10 In reply to 538.1 
Hi Rudy,

I too have been struggling to learn Rhino for jewellery & have found Moi much easier to learn.
I'd been using the Rhino Jewellery Tutorials from CadWax to start learning in Rhino3, they where free at the time.
http://www.cadwax.com/default.htm
I then found that I could use most of these instructions for designing jewellery in Moi.
There's some specific tools & things that only apply to Rhino, but it does give you a good starting point.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
538.11 In reply to 538.10 
Thank you Jessi,
Thank you Michael,
Thank you Colin.

Colin, I know you because I have followed your projects in another Forum ( Jeff D.).

Anyway, I will post my "how do I do this?" as soon as I have some.
God bless you all,
Rudy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All