GroBoto Nurbs ?

Next
A joker guy has the follish idea to give me this crazy tool! ;) So now I a making the French manual :)
http://manuelgrobotovf.weebly.com/ original http://www.groboto.com/v3/Documentation/index.html

It's a good method for me to see a program in deepth! :D

GroBoto is Nurbs ? (Seems does not yet say in the manual ! :) (i am at the beginnig ;)

Concept

See Minute 9.40 --> the end

Research forms

The Mesher for transform ( Nurbs ? ) in Polygons .OBJ
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5369.2 In reply to 5369.1 
Hi Pilou, as far as I know GroBoto is a type of solid modeling system but uses combinations of all primitives like ellipsoid, cylinder, box, sphere, etc... - not NURBS surfaces though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5369.3 In reply to 5369.2 
Thanks
I have asked that on the GroBoto Forum but waiting the answer! :)
For the moment there is only 2 formats for export : GroBoto format and OBJ format
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5369.4 In reply to 5369.3 
Hi Frenchy,
It is not a NURBS app. I thought I remembered in the beta period a way to get an object imported in as a "bot", though it was already a meshed poly object, but I may be wrong. The obj exporter is cool and has some cool topology methods.

Groboto works with quadric surfaces and doesnt do any meshing until the export. So thats why it can do booleans better than a poly app. The quadric surfaces are very smoothly defined, like NURBS, but different.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5369.5 In reply to 5369.4 
The problem is only using 3D quadric surfaces for all the pieces that go into a model really limits the kind of shapes that you can construct.

You need to be able to build surfaces from curves in order to get a lot of things like text for example...

Groboto has the "better booleans than polygons" ingredient from NURBS modeling but the other big thing that tends to make NURBS modeling work particularly well as a contrast to poly modeling is being able to make a lot of the model formed from 2D curves.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5369.6 In reply to 5369.5 
Yeah I had a beta version once. I'm not a big fan of this app.. As Michael said,

>>>The problem is only using 3D quadric surfaces for all the pieces that go into a model really limits the kind of shapes that you can construct.<<<

Perhaps there are some major changes since I tested it. :-)

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5369.7 In reply to 5369.6 
in 2011 by GroBoto

<< Importing primitives, on the other hand, is entirely possible - as long as these are the primitives we support - boxes, cylinders, spheres, cones, etc. Groboto would then convert this arbitrary collection of primitives into a unified mesh and export it as OBJ.

Yes, I can imagine some interesting possibilities related to importing primitives. We kind of pride ourselves on being able to handle scenes with thousands of simple primitives like cylinders and spheres. That was the strong point of Groboto v2 - and it had to be. v2 did not have any interesting mesh conversion capability, it was all just simple surfaces like cylinders and spheres, and who would find interesting a scene consisting only of a dozen spheres?

Thus the emphasis was on bots, algorithmic methods of arranging hundreds and thousands of simple primitives to create an interesting scene. And to display such scenes we use non-polygonal rendering, which allows very clean high-quality representation of scenes with large numbers of primitives. To achieve the same level of rendering quality with polygons would require tens of millions of polygons.

So I would like to put this question to our forum members - do you know of any program that generates scenes consisting of large numbers of simple primitives like spheres, cylinders, cones, boxes? It could be anything - algorithmic, fractal, life simulation, whatever. Groboto can really do justice to any such primitive scene generator. Our v3 flex tools are designed to work on very large sets of primitive objects, rearranging hundreds of objects at once, and now we can convert the final product into a unified mesh, with all the possibilities for further sculpting and rendering this allows our users to do.>>
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@Bur I am waiting answer from they about nature of the prog :)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5369.9 In reply to 5369.7 
C4D?? :-)

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5369.10 In reply to 5369.9 
Hi Rich Art,

"""""""""Yeah I had a beta version once. I'm not a big fan of this app.. As Michael said,

>>>The problem is only using 3D quadric surfaces for all the pieces that go into a model really limits the kind of shapes that you can construct.<<<

Perhaps there are some major changes since I tested it.""""""""""""""""""""""

Well, it's probably "BOTH"! The new version is much different, but it's probably still the same app that gave you a bad taste.
The interface and workflow is just so different, you have to justify the time/effort to learn it.

When I first learned 3d, the first rule was "most things in the world can be broken down into primitives." It holds true in most modeling apps to this day.

The new thing with groboto, that wont be true for c4d, is the "mass primitives+create a unified mesh" part.

Something cool to look at with it, is the boolean work, then the mesh generation has controls that are powerful and also can "subd" the model. The edge flow is pretty good for complex stuff.

Anyway, it is very particular. It's a nice companion for me, for particular things....I wouldnt try to replace c4d with it.......
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5369.11 In reply to 5369.10 
Ha indeed I'll keep my focus on C4D and Moi3D.. No time to learn new apps anyway. :-)

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All