tweeking a model

Next
Hi again. I have a mesh file that was created in Blender. Is it possible to edit it in Moi? I have minimal talent with either but have played around more with Moi.
Also I have Moi on my shop computer, can I also use it on my lap top that I have more time to practice on without buying another license?

Thanks

Tony
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5363.2 In reply to 5363.1 
Save your object in OBJ format
then use this little prog convertor By Michael
http://moi3d.com/download/Obj23dmWireframe.zip
Take Option Close face with a polyline

Don't use files whith zillions of polygones like ZBrush file :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5363.3 In reply to 5363.1 
Hi Tony, there isn't really a good way to edit mesh models in MoI, at least not very easily.

Mesh models are a much different kind of 3D model data than the "NURBS surface" data that MoI is meant to work with.

Polygon mesh models are all diced up into little flat facets, while NURBS data is made up of larger smooth surface sheets.

It's possible to export polygon mesh data to MoI, which will dice the large NURBS surfaces up into little faceted pieces, but it's not so easy to do the reverse and try to automatically reform large smooth surfaces from already diced up data.

So usually for editing polygon mesh data you would want to do that in a polygon mesh program, not MoI.

> Also I have Moi on my shop computer, can I also use it on my lap top that I
> have more time to practice on without buying another license?

You can use the same license on your laptop, you don't need to purchase an additional one. You can install the same MoI license on multiple machines that you use just as long as you only have it actively launched on one of them at a time.

Just use the same license key and same installer on your laptop that you previously used on your shop computer. If you didn't keep a backup of the installer you can get a new download here: http://moi3d.com/reinstall.htm

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5363.4 In reply to 5363.2 
Hi Pilou, the problem with that kind of conversion is that your resulting object will not be smooth, it will be all broken down into a bunch of little planar facets.

That kind of structure will not be very editable in MoI, if you have something like a sphere in MoI it's better to have it as an actual sphere and not as some thousands of little flat pieces.

You could possibly use that result as a kind of visual guide for redrawing or reconstructing the object but it won't be so great to try and use the object directly.

So that's probably only a solution for some special purpose uses, not really a very good general purpose solution.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5363.5 In reply to 5363.4 
Sure but you can in Moi Select all : Make Planar then Fillet that you want :)
So a partial smooth :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5363.6 In reply to 5363.5 
Hi Pilou - zillions of little tiny facet pieces means zillions of edges and very much more complex fillets (especially at corner junctures where a bunch of edges come together), once again I'd still advise that it's not a great idea for general purpose editing.

Anyway, if you did apply fillets to a polygon model imported that way (without failing due to complex corner junctures) your resulting object will be a kind of strange collection of planar pieces with little separate cylinder fillet fragments between each one, it will be a kind of weird and lumpy/flattened type model and not really the main kind of result that NURBS modeling is oriented towards building.

With NURBS modeling it is intended that a large smooth piece of the model should be made up of one large smooth NURBS surface, not a whole bunch of little flat pieces.

Polygon data and NURBS data are pretty different and it's just not easy to get a proper conversion from diced up polygons into smooth surfaces.

.... You can also hammer a square peg into a round hole if you slam it hard enough. However, just because you can do something with a bunch of gyrations does not mean it's also a good idea though.

It may be an ok technique for certain specialized circumstances - if for example your actual model is supposed to be made up of flat pieces like a box or diamond shape then it's ok. But for any kind of curved surfaces it's not very good.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All