push pull
 1-9  10-29  30-49  50-51

Previous
Next
5349.30 In reply to 5349.29 
Yes the function Transform / Offset / Shell makes that if you have first draw Cut - keep - a rectangle on the cylinder face :)

A speedy way to draw this rectangle is to use The New Cut "Iso curve" with keep enable ! ;)

EDITED: 29 Aug 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.31 In reply to 5349.29 
Hi Raven, yup like Pilou writes above the Construct > Offset > Shell command will create geometry like that.

See here for a comparison of Extrusion versus Shell and the different results that they make when thickening a surface into a solid:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4791.13

Maybe it could be possible for Shell to also be updated in a similar way as what I'm thinking of with Extrude to do an automatic boolean with a solid.

Currently you can get the result that you are showing there by using Edit > Trim to cut the cylinder or sphere with the curve to make a little surface fragment, then use Construct > Offset > Shell to thicken the surface into a solid slab which will produce the "uniform thickness" type result that you are showing there, then delete one face from the shelled result and it can then be joined into the main cylinder or sphere piece to get the final result.

The other surface in a case like that is generated by a "surface offset" of the original surface, and an offset of a cylinder is a larger or smaller radius cylinder, and an offset of a sphere is a larger or smaller radius sphere.

The tools for generating things that use offsets like that are located in the UI under Construct > Offset rather than in Construct > Extrude.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.32 In reply to 5349.31 
hi,

one question ^^

How you active the push pull in moi ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.33 In reply to 5349.32 
Call Command Extrude !
You can also make a ShortCut on it!
Or Press TAB and write Extrude
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.34 In reply to 5349.33 
c'est quoi la différence avec une extrusion basique ?

si je fais une porte dans le bas d'un cube, je suis toujours obliger de faire opération booléenne pour enlever le morceau de la porte

oui par contre une fois que le trou est fait, là oui je peut déplacer en "push pull"

mais c'est au départ ?

EDITED: 27 Jul 2016 by DZEKO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.35 In reply to 5349.34 
Elle peut se faire aussi en suivant un chemin!
Ce que ne fera pas l'extrude "Push-Pull" automatique!

Et par rapport à SKetchup, le fait d'avoir une surface "porte" ne va pas faire une différence de volume avec extrude!

EDITED: 27 Jul 2016 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.36 In reply to 5349.35 
Oui mais on est bien d'accord qu'il faut encore enlever manuellement la première extrusion ? ( en mode pousser dans quelque chose )
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.37 In reply to 5349.32 
Hi Dzeko - you can do a push/pull type operation if you have a solid and you select a face of that solid and then do an extrusion (Construct > Extrude) of the face.

When there is a face selection the generated extrusion is automatically booleaned with the base solid, either Boolean difference if you go inwards to the solid, or Boolean union if you extrude towards the outside direction.

Someday I'd like to have an option for this to also work if you are extruding curves that are positioned on the surface of a solid but currently that doesn't work, you need to select faces to do the automatic boolean mode. You can use Edit > Trim followed by Edit > Join to slice a face up into sections to prepare it for push/pulling though.

With a face selected, doing Extrude then works like this:

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A la différence de Sketchup il n'y a pas de différence automatique avec Extrude d'une face ne faisant pas partie du volume!

Par contre oui quand il y auto-intersection et suivant le sens!

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.39 In reply to 5349.38 
A la différence de Sketchup il n'y a pas de différence automatique avec Extrude d'une face ne faisant pas partie du volume!

Merci c'est bien cela qui me turlupiner ^^
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.40 In reply to 5349.38 
And just to clarify a bit more - for the first case like Pilou shows above, it's more normal in MoI to draw a curve object and use Boolean Difference to cut the base solid by the curve directly rather than doing an extrusion. Booleans will automatically extrude 2D curves used as cutting objects out into extrusions that go all the way through the object so you don't need to extrude them yourself in that case.

So for example if you have a solid and a curve like this:

Run Construct > Boolean > Difference to get this result, no extrude is needed for this case of cutting all the way through an object:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.41 In reply to 5349.40 
i think your cube is entierly cutted

i more need this

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.42 In reply to 5349.41 
Hi Dzeko,

> i think your cube is entierly cutted
>
> i more need this

For that type of case then yes you do need to do an extrusion.

You can do it in 2 different ways - if you want to do it like "push/pull", then you'd draw a rectangle on the front face of your box and use Edit > Trim to slice the surface of the box by that curve so that it's made of separate faces. Use Join if it split into totally separate objects. Then you can select the face and do Extrude and you'll get the auto boolean behavior as shown above.

The other way is to just extrude the curve to your desired cut size, then select the main object and run Construct > Boolean > Difference and select your just extruded piece as the cutting object.

In the future I do want to have the concept of a "depth limited" boolean so that you could control the cutting depth directly in the boolean command, but until that is ready you need to form your own cutting object by using Extrude.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.43 In reply to 5349.42 
thank you M.G
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
You have also Offset / Shell 2 Faces (Coque) then Extrude Multi Faces! ;)
(here only 1 face extrude at the end but you can take the 4 faces as you want )

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.45 In reply to 5349.44 
...or you can use Boolean / Diff only required face and then you can extrude cut face like push/pull

Ciao
Mik

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.46 In reply to 5349.45 
Tricky use of only one face! My favorite! :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.47 In reply to 5349.46 
Yes, extrusion of one face only is very usefull feature. In addition usage of Boolean/Diff has one advantage in comparison to Trim, because they aren't generated in most cases unwanted splitted edges during one face extrusion.

Mik
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.48 In reply to 5349.47 
And it's easy to select an another Face
then Right Click for make an Extrude again!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5349.49 In reply to 5349.3 
Hello.

I'm a new MoI user and I'm toying around with the various functions to get myself acquainted with the program and learn how to use the various tools.

1. I have a lot of experience with 123D Design from Autodesk and I was wondering if it is possible to push or pull faces of Solids in Moi like you can in that application.

I've tried using the move tool to move faces without separating them from the solid, which did not do anything. And then I tried to use the extrude tool. Which did not work for elongating a rifled barrel. The rifling, which was of ratchet type, had no twist to it yet but the extrude still failed. It would not extrude one of the ends of the rifled barrel.

I can use extrude to resize simple shapes but even then, it seems to leave an edge or crease behind where the walls used to end before I used extrude to lengthen the solid. Please see the hollowed cylinder in the screenshot for what I mean. And, as mentioned above, it seems to fail entirely for complex faces.

I suppose I could use resize instead but that's cumbersome and only works for a pipe or other simple solid where it doesn't matter the entire part gets resized along one axis.

2. I'd like to know if it is possible to reshape flat / planar profiles by pushing or pulling on an edge. Right now it seems to me you basically have to draw the new boundaries then use boolean merge on the two coplanar profiles to resize the outer perimeter of a profile, for example.

3. I'd also like to know whether solids can have their points shown or just disjointed curves and faces.

Thank you for your time and help.
Image Attachments:
Size: 295.5 KB, Downloaded: 25 times, Dimensions: 1440x900px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-9  10-29  30-49  50-51