MoI to Keyshot with 3DM
All  1-5  6-14

Previous
Next
5325.6 In reply to 5325.5 
What you go and do that for, Michael - I am more confused now - lol, and it would not be fair of me to ask you to describe the difference between a NURBS render mesh and a polygonal render mesh, I will however offer my thanks for taking the time to tell me why it's awkward, and settle for the reality that is MoI can export what i need to get a job done, and that's all it needs to do to be honest, anything else is pure icing and cream, so keep dishing up those ingredients and i will stay loyal to the product. :¬)

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5325.7 In reply to 5325.6 
Hi Martin, well it's more like one is a "realtime display mesh" meant to be used for making a shaded display while modeling inside of a 3D viewport. It's overall tuned just for that purpose and takes some shortcuts with the mesh construction.

If you want to do something more "permanent" with the mesh like use it to produce a rendering or 3D print or something like that, then that's what the export mesher is for, it produces a mesh in a more careful way to make it have a higher quality structure.

The higher quality export mesh takes longer to calculate than the "realtime display mesh" - that's one of the reasons why there are 2 different mechanisms, because when you are just doing modeling you probably don't want to wait around extra time every single time you do any kind of model edit. So it helps make modeling have less hiccups just in your general workflow for the meshing there to be prioritized on speed.

So it's not that one is a "NURBS mesh" - it's that one mesher produces results more quickly but messier, and the other produces polygons more slowly yet higher quality.

If the mesh is going to be used for some kind of more involved operation like producing a final quality rendering, then that's when the "slower but higher quality" mesher makes more sense to be used.

If the mesh is going to be used only for the display of stuff on the screen while modeling only, then that's when the "faster but messier" mesher works better.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5325.8 In reply to 5325.7 
i also use moi & keyshot on a mac, export to .stp and import
into keyshot with the old importer. tessellation will be done by keyshot
and you get smooth surfaces, plus all your defined parts....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5325.9 In reply to 5325.8 
Just tried that here but it failed to import, Keyshot says no geometry, strange the file is almost 80mb - lol .... Obj stays the flavour that suits, for now.

Thanks for the info though schneich

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5325.10 In reply to 5325.9 
it works! you must klick on "advanced" and select "old importer"...
also i use keyshot version 2.2

cheers

t.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5325.11 In reply to 5325.10 
This is version 3.099 and i did click advanced and old importer was selected but it still said no thanks. It's not a biggie, OBJ will do

Martin

Edited 16.08.2012 - Iges import does work in version 3 too. However, you should not use the old importer and when exporting to iges file, you will need to hide or delete any curves or Keyshot will bomb out with a "no 3D geometry found" error.

Hope this helps anybody else with the same problem ....

Martin

EDITED: 15 Aug 2012 by TPWUK

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5325.12 In reply to 5325.11 
good to know...

thanks

t.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Martin,

The current KS Version is: 3.3.15
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5325.14 In reply to 5325.13 
Hi Ralf, thanks for the message, yes 3.3.15 is the latest release but it has nothing added to it to be of any value to me to install it. If it aint broke don't fix it applies to me. Plus it's not my copy (yet), and I need more time than Luxion allow to test things because i actually spend the vast majority of my day having to take care of my disabled wife. Sadly most companies don't take these circumstances into account, and that does sadly include MoI, but a 200 quid gamble with MoI and it's excellent support from its users and from Michael is far safer than a 2000 pound gamble with Luxion when they cant even answer a question about how come they can interpret IGES NURBS, but not MoI/Rhino ones. So for now Keyshot is experimental to me at this time and is likely to stay that way until i can afford the gamble or until my friend wants his back.

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-5  6-14