lockup

Next
Hi Michael ...

I just experienced a total lockup while working in MoI. First time this has ever happened ... and it may not be MoI, I have 2 SSD in my system and this happens now and then if I leave the computer for some time without use (like a long phone call some other interruption). That was not the case this time.

I simply used 'offset', set the distance, pressed enter and LOCKUP. I had to reboot twice and lost some work in the process.

If this repeats, I will let you know.

cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
5323.2 In reply to 5323.1 
Thanks for reporting it eric - and yes please let me know if it happens again.

Usually the whole computer locking up is usually a sign of a driver or hardware problem, because the operating system runs individual programs at a low enough privilege level so that if the application crashes it should only take out that one application and not the entire system.

But drivers run at a higher level of privilege and so any bugs at the driver level can pull down the entire system.

If you haven't updated your video drivers in a while that might be a good idea to do that, and also if your system might be fairly dusty inside that might be worth vacuuming out to make sure it's getting proper airflow and not getting overheated. Also make sure it's got some space around any exhaust vents and that you haven't pushed it up too close to a wall or anything like that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All