cylinder offset fail

Next
I try to offset a cylinder with a rounded hole, so that the hole is convergating towards the center of the cylinder. but the sides of the hole are not regular, and a strange shaped object appears in the hole.
any clues how to solve this? I could of course make the convergating shape first and boolean substract it from a cylinder with a wall, but that is quite a workaround I think.

tnx
wim

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5291.2 In reply to 5291.1 
hi wim

funny enough, if you lose the top and bottom plane, everything will work as expected..

..might be a bug..

~ marco

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5291.3 In reply to 5291.2 
thanks Marco,

that will do for me!
cheers
Wim
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5291.4 In reply to 5291.1 
Hi wim, yup that's definitely a bug - unfortunately it's one deep in the geometry library that MoI uses and so not so easy for me to fix right away.

Most likely the edges in that area that gets messed up are at a very slight angle to one another instead of meeting up totally smoothly, and that kind of situation can be difficult for the offsetter to deal with, it basically tries to extend edges that are at an angle and intersect them but when the angle between things is very shallow it tends to be difficult to get a clean intersection.

The surface offset mechanism is something that the guys who make the geometry library that MoI uses have been working on overhauling for a while now, so hopefully that should improve in a future version.

> I could of course make the convergating shape first and boolean substract it from a cylinder
> with a wall, but that is quite a workaround I think.

That way would generally tend to be more robust though, so in the future if you know you want some thickness in the end result try to apply the thickening to the most simple shape that you can before cutting it up. There is just in general more stuff that can go wrong with offsetting that there is with booleans.

The other thing that you might check is to make sure that your outline that was used to cut the hole had exact 180 degree arcs on it and not anything just slightly off from that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All