Mysteries with MOI and Illustrator 10
 1-11  12-31  32-44

Previous
Next
5275.12 In reply to 5275.11 
Hi Pilou,

Which file has the strange code? I took files from different origins to try to isolate the issue. Leonard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.13 In reply to 5275.12 
First ;) from post 12 Dframe .ai
something like this Line 172 toward the end and even adress url inside ;) But Maybe the new import PDF can manage all this ?
<< /Filter [ /FlateDecode ] /Length 13 0 R>>
stream
H‰ì—ûnÇÆŸ`ßa‹B€„ÆÊÜ/BP`gg×Û‚ä¤(‚B`͍L„"’Š›>}¿sf—¤d¡Ú"èæx)zç~Îï|3çäW7¯šùúïÃ+}.êêä¤Ý ³ÝzsQóÛúr¹|Üî6ôêôú¬–â\ Qsndž? ›íb½º˜ªzê{z3ÛÌ>ÖßÎ>ý¼XmÏêÓf>,>.ê×›þ|Øž¡åûÅn9 íwÃl>Ìë»åWõ|Sÿ´™Ýõú²ÑÙäóÙâlZfɳzø¯•úZªZªáê«7hÖ«ùbu—Öÿ¸¨UpµŽ¾Ö:ÖF:T»¸¶ÏÛœG«¸á¹1 u8×*Jt±çÞê—×ï‡Õîj³þ0l·íz¹Þl/êö×Ùª~3»Cͬþë°\®?Õi9ûðsËØÛ~±`†ûÙ®vd“æRßr×ï·èƒîô›^ûÛË{¼¹v;¬“¯_§ãéð’Ëé×ÃÝ‚]Cü팽àʸ7Ãì¼ÇPðÊ)*ë<ü4{\îÊ„õ¡~îÎÈÙªß=Ћ-wr˜FŽO)²”°1•W’þš=¯/oU­kÃÓ\]ešB•–NÔÆ¢V=_îJK$Û½î–ð<;Nwná5K߇ßcKXž[aÉFÕ6šÚ{Sê¾~Y Ÿ.ê·ëÕPÖlv7‹Â3Tù¨ÊÛëÇå°ù~µØÇ4—±XûÍ0cŠ}ß~9»cöÂߥÁûÙæn؁¿õòqÇ‘ÄXõöñþ»Ù¯!¥Ëï†Õûõ¼¾W„g‘]ãBMªâ#G»;8hŽ:S×iLï=ŒÂÞmw‹Õ[…ÁÑ·W³‡as=|Ø]¼ÂkX‰­…ßcý,»tyeÈß¡¦*böõf1? ëUÊïù<=qzÊæ`§ÝnX̻ռ]ß“C¶¿`{ì—ë»R·ÿÍ5˜îñ¡l’ÿß]m+ZCõö¡’ºN«£zÈÌ|¡¡.—_Õù¸Ø
õ5^Ï–gÕ‹oØ4¯~¬¾©}”ÐÂ+¼"Š$Z‘E'z)¤”JB&¤“^e#“le–½J*¥Œ‚ï”WQ5*©VåJuª×BK­´ÑV;íuÐQ7:éVwº7ÂH£Œ6Æ8ãM0Ñ4&™Öt¦·ÂJ«¬¶Æ:ëm°Ñ6•M¶µípÒ)§uÎy\tK.»Îõ^xé•×Þx‚¾ñÉ·>ûÎ÷ATÐÁ\P€[hB
-J]è#veTQGmtÑG4‰161Å%Ç.ö±oŠl°ßF7Xzc«Æ5¾ÁhMlè“š%7JŸD‚É’J:a—É&,9ù„™ÆMM¢O‹’S‡Ò·0~ÕÂÆ-¬Ùê†i±ÿÖ¡`?´\Z f ^ôÉm‡Ògø,ˬp–Øì²Ï!79å6çÜU¹ïD§:Ý™Îv®]ÄâR—»®ë{Ñ«êÏ
’a(8¸ÚòŸøE4²ì...

EDITED: 23 Jul 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.14 In reply to 5275.13 
I was able to load all .ai files into MoI v2.5 and MoI v3.0 beta under OSX 10.6.8. (i skipped file No 6).

Regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.15 In reply to 5275.14 
Maybe its because I am in PC ?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.16 In reply to 5275.15 
Frenchy, the pdf wont be "all text"...

Were the ai files being passed between pc and mac at any point? How well does MAC deal with the windows ADS.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.17 In reply to 5275.16 
The funny thing for the first file of post 1 01 Dykes 201.ai
I can rename it in 01 Dykes 201.pdf
same result!
I can reload each file 1 to 8 except 6 under PC :)

EDITED: 23 Jul 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Stefan, thanks for testing; it points to a conflict on this end. Only MOI is experiencing difficulties - VERY strange difficulties.

Leonard

Edited

EDITED: 23 Jul 2012 by NYCL45

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
BurrMan, the Dykes and files with a number like 343 were probably pc (dwg,dxf)>illustrator>MOI. Others are mac>illustrator>MOI. What is ADS? Leonard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.20 In reply to 5275.19 
Hi Leanard,
ADS=Alternate Data Stream

But I dont think it is that now. It may be a naming convention or something being handled in the files. The original files titles had some funcky characters and big long comma and spacing, but I dont know anything about MoI's ai reader, so I'm going to wait and see if Michael finds anything with it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.21 In reply to 5275.10 
Hi Leonard,

> >Also can you just save files if you draw them initially in MoI instead of doing any AI import?
>
> NO. They are not saved regardless of selected extension.

So just to make sure I understand correctly - you are unable to save anything at all from MoI under any circumstances?

For example if you start up MoI and then draw a sphere in it, then if you try to save that newly drawn sphere as a 3DM file it will not save, is that correct?

Is this a new problem? I mean haven't you saved other projects you have created in MoI before this point?

> Hi Michael, update first. I installed MOI on a newer Mac running 10.7.4 and all but one of the
> original 8 files I posted yesterday opened. Only #6 failed to open

Yup, and like I wrote previously this is expected - the #6 file has not been saved from Illustrator with the "PDF compatible" option set. When you save it from Illustrator make sure you set that checkbox on the export options when it is saved and once you do that the resulting .ai file should then load into the v3 beta ok.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.22 In reply to 5275.13 
Hi Pilou,

> 5275.13 In reply to 5275.12
> First ;) from post 12 Dframe .ai
> something like this Line 172 toward the end and even adress url inside ;) But Maybe
> the new import PDF can manage all this ?

That's all normal type of contents of a PDF files which contain compressed (like zipped) data in them - since Illustrator version 9 the AI format changed to actually be the same as PDF. But when you are saving them, you actually need to set a checkbox in Illustrator that says something like "Make PDF compatible" or else without that enabled it will make a kind of strange file that contains only private information in it and not stuff visible to PDF parsers. The new v3 beta should be able to handle PDF files a lot better than previous versions.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.23 In reply to 5275.20 
Hi Burr,

> The original files titles had some funcky characters and big long comma and spacing,
> but I dont know anything about MoI's ai reader, so I'm going to wait and see if Michael
> finds anything with it.

Where are you seeing the funky characters, you mean inside of the file contents themselves?

Some of the .ai files are in the Illustrator v9+ format which means that despite ending in .ai they are actually PDF files, and it's normal for PDF files to contain various binary data inside of it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.24 In reply to 5275.10 
Hi Leonard, so from what I can tell it sounds like all is working fine for you on your newer machine - in addition to being able to load all the files that you posted (except file#6 which needs to be resaved from Illustrator with the "Make PDF compatible" flag set in order to work) are you also able to save everything ok there as well?

If that's the case then are you able to use MoI on that new machine to avoid all these problems?

I really have no idea what's going wrong on the machine where you're having problems. I guess MoI is having some problems with something running on that particular machine, the only advice I really have for that is if you're running anything like anti-virus or haxies or things that hook into the system at a low level like that try disabling those since maybe they are interfering with MoI's operation.

I'm also pretty suspicious that something is going wrong with it like your hard drive is starting to die or something along those lines, it might be a good time to do a backup if you have any stuff you want to save that's on that machine now. Things like the entire system locking up and requiring a hard power cycle is not a very good sign for the health of the machine...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.25 In reply to 5275.23 
""""""""Where are you seeing the funky characters, you mean inside of the file contents themselves?"""""""

Yes, I was just diffing the contents and noticed the title flag with what appeared to be possible illegal charaters, so was speculating. I also noticed that the good one had a "private to illustrator" flag, that the faulty one didnt, and saw you rerspond to him about the export option...

I also refered to the windows ADS that carried the block on the file and didnt know if that was affecting a mac, but ruled that out on windows alone....

So I was just poking around before you as a learning experience.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.26 In reply to 5275.25 
Hi Burr,

> I also refered to the windows ADS that carried the block on the file and didnt know if that was affecting
> a mac, but ruled that out on windows alone....

That additional "zone information" data-stream thing is something that's added by the web browser when the file is downloaded, it's not actually part of the real attached file itself.

So that part is different on a mac, although the mac has its own separate version of alternate file streams as well and also the mac web browser adds one in for downloaded files when the download is complete as well. None of that should make any difference to MoI opening the files though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael, been tinkering on this end. Creating geometry in MOI and the ability to save it as a .3dm file has been restored. Repairing Permissions apparently did the trick. I downloaded an anti-virus app this evening and ran it to hunt down malware. There were 3 benign files. After rebooting, still unable to open AI, EPS and PDF files.

In the old days, these kinds of issues were resolved by dumping the application's preferences.

Unfortunately, I cannot use that newer machine - it's my partner's.

This is truly bizarre. MOI is the only application with issues.

Next, I will open MOI in another account on this machine to see if that works. That is not a convenient way to work. If that fails, I will try reinstalling the Mac OS.

Leonard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.28 In reply to 5275.27 
Hi Leonard, yes messed up permissions can throw a monkey wrench into MoI's machinery.

You might also check permissions on your /tmp folder, if those are switched from their defaults it can mess things up, the Mac version of MoI needs to write several things into /tmp in order to run properly.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.29 In reply to 5275.28 
Hi Michael, I spent an hour+ looking for instructions on how to repair permissions on the /tmp folder and folders in general and found nothing helpful.

Do you have a link to directions? I know only Disk Utility>select volume>Repair P.

Thanks.

Leonard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.30 In reply to 5275.29 
Hi Leonard, if /tmp needs to be fixed it would involve using UNIX command-line tools like chmod.

Can you open up a Terminal window and do a:
ls -l /tmp

And then post what prints out there? That would let me see if the permissions are set as they should be.

Also this whole thing with a disk repair needed and your system doing a hard crash at least once really does make me think your hard disk might be in the process of dying. If your disk is pretty old (say 5+ years old), it may be a good idea to get a new one.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5275.31 In reply to 5275.30 
Hi Michael,

I did the Terminal entry: ls -l /tmp
The meager results are attached.

The computer I am using is 18-24 months old. There have been no other aberrations with this machine.

I am completely flummoxed and that is an understatement.

Leonard
Image Attachments:
Size: 78.2 KB, Downloaded: 41 times, Dimensions: 805x396px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-11  12-31  32-44