new beta soon?
 1-14  15-34  35-54  55-74  …  115-119

Previous
Next
5252.15 In reply to 5252.14 
I see your point Burr, MoI has a remarkable tessellation engine.

But, I figured it was more of a poly/memory thing that was causing the error.
Most likely it was the fault of my flea-powered home PC. ;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.16 In reply to 5252.14 
Yeah while it is in the process of dicing MoI is actually dicing up NURBS surfaces, they only become polygons in the last stages. Also on top of that trim curves are diced up into small pieces as well to make trim boundaries. That whole process takes up a bunch of additional overhead to sort of "set the stage" for stuff before the polygons are even created. It's usually not the polygon data itself that really takes the most space, more all that in between stage calculation stuff.

When you're in the polygon app there is none of that other stuff existing at that point, only the final result, that's why the capacity is different.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.17 In reply to 5252.15 
Also yes "flea powered" does not make a great natural combination with "high density" as well... ;)

If you have a lower powered machine it just goes with the territory that you need to avoid higher complexity stuff.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.18 In reply to 5252.17 
Sounds great Michael.... Bottoms up.

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Looking forward to testing the extrude to point and taper!

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.20 In reply to 5252.4 
Looks like it will be generally in the range of a 2x to 3x drawing speedup (depends on different aspects of the model) with the multi-core use!

I was hoping for maybe a straight 4x speedup on a quad-core but it looks like that won't happen because of too much waiting for the graphics driver to just process all the incoming requests. So probably more cores beyond 4 or so cores won't give much boost. But despite that a 3x speed-up is nothing to sneeze at! :)

I need to test it a bit more and also see if I can wring a little bit more yet out before releasing it, so a few more days yet...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.21 In reply to 5252.20 
"Looks like it will be generally in the range of a 2x to 3x drawing speedup (depends on different aspects of the model) with the multi-core use!"

That is awesome news.

Thanks for the update.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.22 In reply to 5252.21 
What are the aspects of the model that get a boost and get left out?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.23 In reply to 5252.20 
That's really amazing !!! , I've never seen a 3d software using multi-core cpu power to speed up the display ...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That's a promising prospect considering more complex models that bog down Moi even with mesh angles made more coarse.

So we take a modeler with already phenomenal display quality and boost its speed 2x+?

Wow!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.25 In reply to 5252.22 
Hi Burr,

> What are the aspects of the model that get a boost and get left out?

Well, both shaded surface drawing as well as curve/edge drawing get boosted, but surface drawing was not as CPU intensive so it's more down in the 2x range, edge/curve drawing is more towards the 3x range.

How much any one particular model gets boosted will vary depending on a lot of different factors, like which particular thing was actually taking the most time and some other things like whether there are a whole lot of little separate simple entities or somewhat larger more complex entities (each face or edge curve being more complex).

And probably how fast your video card can process stuff will factor in as well...

So some things will vary from model to model and from machine to machine, it will be interesting to see what variation there will be.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.26 In reply to 5252.23 
Hi PaQ,

> That's really amazing !!! , I've never seen a 3d software using multi-core cpu
> power to speed up the display ...

It's mostly tested with some of the more complex models that you've sent me... This should help make it easier to not have to turn edges and hidden-line edges off quite as much as before.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The display is a great strategic place to get some benefit from multi-core processing too, since it's something that gets heavy continuous use.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This is great news Michael, you always have something to offer that excites MoI and CAD users alike.

Maybe a marketing stratagy along the lines of 'MoI now with Quick Draw' :)

Quick Draw
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.29 In reply to 5252.25 
""""""""""Well, both shaded surface drawing as well as curve/edge drawing get boosted, but surface drawing was not as CPU intensive so it's more down in the 2x range, edge/curve drawing is more towards the 3x range."""""""

Ah yes, Thanks. I really only ever had an issue when I had a bazillion little "edge" pieces to deal with. This should be great.

@Danny. Shleb and mildred in the draw contest too? :) (Aussies will take the first beta download again? 10 paces brother.......:)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
:)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.31 In reply to 5252.26 
> > It's mostly tested with some of the more complex models that you've sent me... This should help make it easier to not have to turn edges and hidden-line edges off quite as much as before.

Hehe that's great, glad it helps ! (do you want some others ones ?)

but wondering ... if you give me 4*times more speed, I'll push MoI even further ... so this time the limit would be probably the memory ?
I have a spaceship model here that is still 'manageable' (I mean I can turn around with a usable framerate), but MoI is allready using 750Mb of memory ... well that's what windows task manager is reporting, not sure if it's really accurate. Looks like it would be easy to break the 3gb limit from the 32bits MoI version ?

In other words, we need a 64bits version of MoI sir !!! :)

(I have build a new computer last month, and I was amazed that 32gb of ram was cheaper than the motherboard ... )

Anyway, I cant wait to test it ! ... and spread the news :)

EDITED: 18 Jul 2012 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.32 In reply to 5252.31 
Hi PaQ, yeah as various pieces speed up probably memory consumption will be a bigger barrier for you. MoI as a 32-bit program can get up to around 4GB (well in the neighborhood - maybe more like 3.6GB) on a 64-bit OS though, not just 3GB... Also I think that probably implementing an instancing mechanism may actually help out more than 64-bit-ness for a lot of cases.

I certainly understand that you'd like a 64-bit version of MoI, but in order to do it would require a major churn in my development environment needing to switch to a new compiler and updating all support libraries and dealing with various compatibility issues from that. That's going to be very disruptive for me and so I don't think it's going to be likely to happen anytime too soon.

Some previous discussion here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5172.5

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.33 In reply to 5252.32 
""""""""I certainly understand that you'd like a 64-bit version of MoI, but in order to do it would require a major churn in my development environment needing to switch to a new compiler and updating all support libraries and dealing with various compatibility issues from that. """"""""""""""""

Was this an initial concious decision, or is it just a bi-product of starting the dev cycle before the proliferation of 64 bit?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5252.34 In reply to 5252.33 
Hi Burr,

> Was this an initial concious decision, or is it just a bi-product of starting the dev
> cycle before the proliferation of 64 bit?

Pretty much the byproduct part...

But it also doesn't help that each new version of Visual Studio has kind of gotten worse in various ways and that's another thing that's kept me from going to new versions for a while.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-14  15-34  35-54  55-74  75-94  …  115-119