An Homage to 3D Masters
 1-7  8-21

Previous
Next
5235.8 In reply to 5235.6 
> Conceptart.org is the biggest forum of art!

Yes, this is where I first found "600v".
I was looking for "vintage cars"... the next thing I knew, I was going to Google SU's site.

If anyone is interested how I make such smooth-looking screen captures above,

I use this script:
code:
script:var v = moi.ui.getActiveViewport(); if ( v != null ) { moi.view.lineWidth = 4; v.renderToClipboard( 6800, 4800 ); moi.view.lineWidth = 1; }

Notes on the script: 1) If the "rendertoclipboard" dimensions of "6800, 4800" is too large for your video card to handle, you may notice that nothing will copy to the clipboard.
Just reduce the amounts. They are independent of your video monitor's current pixel dimensions. It's like a viewing from a "virtual" monitor.
2) The ".linewidth=4" is what the clipboard will see. If you are going to copy a view that is multiples in scale larger to what you will reduce it to in a photo editing program
keep the desired larger width in mind.
3) The ".linewidth=1" is what MoI will return to... caution! This number will become your new on-screen line thickness size. So if it was not set to the default of "1",
you'll need to find your desired number listed in the .ini file and use that one instead.

I paste the image into PhotoShop and then I re-size the image to something much smaller. A 4:1 ratio is often adequate.

PhotoShop uses "Bicubic Interpolation". All of the jagged and pixelated surface edges in my models appears to smooth out.

Which gives me an idea Michael,

Could something like this be done in the memory resident background whenever you stop manipulating the viewport.
When you stop moving in the viewport, MoI would take a screen image of the view, except at a larger size (4x), re-interpolates it to original size, thus smoothing out the un-anti-aliased edges, and then inserts it back into the viewport.

Just an idea for future though. ;-) But that might be one way to produce nearly flawless, anti-aliased viewport displays.

As you can see above, MoI already has some of the best viewport lighting out there!

EDITED: 3 Jul 2012 by MAJIKMIKE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5235.9 In reply to 5235.7 
Thanks M!

Actually, those are wheels he also uses in other pics... I think. ??? I had to take a guess at how he made them.

The eagle-eyes were hewn from blood, sweat, and tears.... ;-)
Years and years of good practice, taking clients poor quality source art and re-producing it for garment imprinting.
Reproducing thousands of fonts and corporate logotypes in just minutes to meet production deadlines will train you to perfection.
No arthritis yet...
You learn to get it close the first time before a client gets frustrated at you. ;-)

The thing I don't know how to do yet, or have the software to do is UVW unwrapping and perfectly painted and realistic surfaces in the render.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5235.10 In reply to 5235.1 
Mike, Awesome and inspiring!!! Thank you
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5235.11 In reply to 5235.8 
Hi Mike it turned out really great - what a nimble looking machine and I love all the detail in the wheel structures!

> Could something like this be done in the memory resident background whenever
> you stop manipulating the viewport.
> When you stop moving in the viewport, MoI would take a screen image of the view, except at
> a larger size (4x), re-interpolates it to original size, thus smoothing out the un-anti-aliased edges,
> and then inserts it back into the viewport.

This is something that's more likely to get implemented as just an option to activate the built-in Direct3D anti-aliasing mechanism which then just essentially renders all content with more samples similar to that.

It's a little finicky to set up because support for it varies from card to card so I have to make sure to properly query the card to see what its capabilities are. I do expect to figure that out at some point.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks kindly guys! This one was fun. :-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5235.13 In reply to 5235.12 
Wow !!! Wow !!! (And then, Wow again... :D )

"After all, it is only a pale replica". Really... well, "Sir, I beg to differ..."
That is 'magic' indeed (pun intended) !

Thank you so much for sharing this one! This is inspiring for someone, like me, who is just beginning with MoI. Gotta love all those details... the model is superb! Maybe a tutorial on those four or five techniques ? Just saying ... :)

Keep up your good work. Please...

Cheers,

Joao
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well, I'm flattered with that sentiment, Jpargana!

I'll consider the tuts.

Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5235.15 In reply to 5235.1 
Hey That looks really cool Mike.
Funny I have this vehicle webpage in my favorites for many years now. I planned to remake some of the vehicles wit Moi Myself. Never got the time for it to do so.

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

PS: awesome spaceships by the way..

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5235.16 In reply to 5235.12 
Mike, When you have a moment, can you give a step by step guide as to how you optimize your image after it is pasted into photoshop, I am lost.
PS I am using a 4 year old Macbook laptop 1280 x 800 is about as far as I could push my card.
Thanks in advance.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I got tired of using mesh modeling for hard surface objects (especially when it comes to high poly meshes). Currently I am looking into either getting Google Sketchup or MoI 3D. Which one would suit my needs, objectively ? (I would like to do kit bashing also, and then use boolean to join all the pieces) Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5235.18 In reply to 5235.17 
Hi motorsep - SketchUp is more oriented towards architectural kind of boxy-form modeling. If that's the kind of thing you need to build then it could be a good fit for you.

If the models you want to build have some more curved shapes to them, then MoI is usually a better fit for that since the method that MoI uses (called NURBS modeling) can make true curves instead of only line segments and polygon facets.

I would encourage you to spend at least some time experimenting with both yourself though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Both are really fun! The common point is the learning curve and facility!

And with Artisan for Sketchup! http://artisan4sketchup.com/ ( 39 $ it works with the free version of Sketchup! )
You can profit of the ergonomy of Sketchup + the perversion of the Subdivision! :)
And if you want Boolean for free Sketchup: http://www.smustard.com/script/BoolTools 10 $ by the same author! ;)

So with Sketchup + Moi you have the best of two worlds for a minimum of efforts and headaches :)

From the manual of Artisan (French by me :D (No Moi here! ;)

EDITED: 24 Aug 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well, I am certainly going to have more sci-fi forms with my upcoming project than crude architectural forms. Weapons, armor, mechas, some small space ships, etc. I would certainly like to use MoI in architectural modeling for certain elements that will be incorporated into the game levels. I know I can do it all in Blender, but I am certain that MoI should have faster and more natural workflow when it comes to industrial design so to speak. I recall reading an article where NURBS were suggested as a proper tool when it comes to non-organic tech objects modeling.

I will definitely play around for trial version of MoI. One thing I am wondering about if I can get model out of MoI into OBJ file so I could retopo it in either Blender or Topogun and bake normal/AO maps in xNormal afterward ?

I guess I saw quite a few vids of people making some cool stuff in Sketchup and I haven't really seen videos of people doing the same in MoI. Therefore I am wondering about its workflow.

Oh, and I am wondering if MoI comes in 64bit flavor for Windows and if Linux version will be coming any time soon? Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5235.21 In reply to 5235.20 
Hi motorsep,

> One thing I am wondering about if I can get model out of MoI into OBJ file <....>

Yup, MoI supports writing to OBJ format, you just do a "Save As" and pick OBJ format.

> I guess I saw quite a few vids of people making some cool stuff in Sketchup and I
> haven't really seen videos of people doing the same in MoI. Therefore I am wondering
> about its workflow.

There are links to some videos collected here:
http://moi3d.com/wiki/Resources#Tutorials

To get an overview of the general workflow I would recommend watching the tutorials that are part of the regular documentation, you can find them here:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/tutorials.htm

The basic workflow is that you start out by drawing curves, then form solids from those curves by using some to construct objects (like extruding, lofting, revolving, sweeping), and use some curves as cutting objects to cut out holes or slice away portions and combine pieces together using boolean operations and use filleting to round off sharp corners.

It's a much different workflow from polygon modeling, it's much more a "drawing and construction" type workflow where more of your model is controlled by 2D curves. So it tends to fit very well with mechanical parts that are well defined by 2D profile curves for different features and holes and such.

> Oh, and I am wondering if MoI comes in 64bit flavor for Windows and if Linux version will be coming any time soon? Thanks.

There is only a 32-bit version of MoI. I do not currently plan on having a Linux only version anytime soon, but the Windows v3 release will run on Linux using Wine as long as you have a good and stable enough video driver.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-7  8-21