New Mac OSX public beta May-9-2012 available now

Next
There is a new Mac OSX beta build available here:
http://moi3d.com/osxbeta.htm

Updated stuff:

- Sporadic crash on startup should be fixed now.

- Pointer offset bug with Wacom tablets should be fixed.

- Updated 3Dconnexion / SpaceNavigator support to avoid stacking up of movement events.

- Using Cmd key for cut/copy/paste/select all in text control fields (Cmd+C, Cmd+V, for pasting in numeric coordinates for example) should work now.

- Fixed bug when color picker dialog was launched from another dialog.

- Eliminated screen flicker when showing the scene browser pane.

- Implemented a script interface for plug-ins to read text files, which enables an updated version of the ImportPointFile and SavePointFile scripts to work now on OSX.

As far as I know, this build now hits 100% feature parity with the Windows version!

The only thing really left to do is to finish up the Deform commands that were new for v3 with some icons and some documentation for them.

Please let me know if you see any problems running it.

Thanks,
- Michael

EDITED: 9 May 2012 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.2 In reply to 5124.1 
Oh yeah and attached here are the updated ImportPointFile and SavePointFile plug-ins that should work with the OSX version now.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.3 In reply to 5124.1 
Great thank you. This version works well with my Wacom Intuos 2 tablet.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.4 In reply to 5124.3 
hi,

I am disappointed from the it make that am continued to update the version for MAC OX and not for windows how promised.

Thanks

Marco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.5 In reply to 5124.4 
Don't be disappointed Marco, now that both platforms are on an even par with each-other, MoI now has the potential of becoming an even more popular tool for designers, keep in mind the Apple's history of being a designers computer and you can see that this makes good business sense by Michael. The more people buy the product, the more features that will be requested and MoI should evolve into an excellent designers tool. Especially if Michael can resist any buy out!

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.6 In reply to 5124.5 
we hope well
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.7 In reply to 5124.4 
Hi Marco,

> I am disappointed from the it make that am continued to update the
> version for MAC OX and not for windows how promised.

I have never promised that I would only ever develop for Windows and not for anything else - I'm sorry but if you had thought I had made a promise about that at some point you are mistaken.

The Mac version will help MoI reach a lot more people that were not able to use it before, so it should turn out to be well worth the effort involved. The benefit to you will be that I will be able to stay in business and continue developing MoI for the future.

Now that the foundation is in place, I do not expect for the OSX version to really require much more effort for new releases.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.8 In reply to 5124.7 
The fact that MoI works under WINE on Linux platforms now too just about covers all OS's. The only thing missing now is the Android/ARM, but that wont be long coming as there is a fairly active group of people that are finding ways to get Ubuntu running on Tablet PC's already.

I for one, Michael wish you every success and eagerly await what ever other goodies you can add to MoI!

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank You Michael!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.10 In reply to 5124.1 
Hi Michael,

Its already take long time for Windows Development with no new feature for a while.
I hope its time to get new feature !

Thank You
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.11 In reply to 5124.10 
Hi Anis, yup I've been occupied with developing the Mac OSX version recently - it's almost done now though and it won't be much longer before I'll be going back to V3 development.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.12 In reply to 5124.11 
I though that you have finished with OSX Development, its almost done yeah.... :)
Lets back to the initial track.

Thank You Michael...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.13 In reply to 5124.12 
Hi,
my english is bad, sorry.
I've loaded the public beta and opened a Step-File (25MB).
When I'm starting the export (obj, 3ds, fbx) the polycounter runs and the export stop at 47% with the message "Insufficient memory".
Also when I reduce the polygones to the minimum. My system run with 24GB Ram. Saving with the formats 3dm, igs, sat is ok.

What's going wrong?
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.14 In reply to 5124.13 
Hi Peter,

> What's going wrong?

MoI is running out of memory just as the message says - MoI is a 32-bit program and so it is only able to use about 4GB of your RAM and not all of it.

If you are generating a quite large density mesh that overflows that amount you may need to export it in some separate chunks rather than trying to create one single gigantic output file all in one go.

To do that select some different pieces of your model and use File > "Export" rather than File > "Save As" - Export is short for "Export selected objects", and it will only write just the objects that are currently selected to the output file so that should help to avoid running out of 32-bit address space.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.15 In reply to 5124.14 
Hi Michael,
thank you for your quickly answer.
I think the step-file (24MB) is'nt too big to convert in obj for example.
So I selected one piece and tried to export ("select (the piece change to yellow)" - "file" - "export" - "obj"). It's the same thing: Insufficient memory :-(
I put the slider to "Fewer polygones" (Output: N-gones, Display: Shaded + edges, Angle: 35) but at 33% the message comes.
ViaCad is a 32-bit program too and it convert this step-File, unfortunately with some wrong meshes.

Peter

System Mac OS X 10.6.8, 24 GB RAM, 2 x 2,66 GHz 6-Core

By the way: MoI is great :-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.16 In reply to 5124.15 
Hi Peter, is it possible for you to send the file to me somehow so I can test with it?

Just file size alone is not a full indicator of complexity - for example if the file contains a large number of instanced repeated objects, those will expand into totally separate objects when you open it in MoI and so the actual data being handled could actually be many times 24MB.

Or it could be possible that there is some problem with the STEP import resulting in some kind of slightly mangled object which then causes a sort of "run-away" excessively dense mesh being created as a side effect from that.

It's hard for me to know for sure without being able to test it myself.

That file may be too big to send to me by e-mail, is it possible to use a file sharing service and then send the link to me at moi@moi3d.com ?

Another issue may actually be your 6-core machine - when generating meshes MoI does make use of multiple cores and that does have a side effect of consuming more memory at once as well. It is possible to limit the number of cores being used, to do that go to Options > General and push the "Edit .ini file" button. In the text file that comes up, go to the [Mesh Export] section and find the setting for ThreadLimit= and put in ThreadLimit=1 and see if that makes any difference or not.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.17 In reply to 5124.16 
Hi Michael,
with Threadlimit=1 it works for selected pieces. Thank you!!. Could I send you the completly file by e-mail (9MB zip)?
Other way I will send a link.

Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5124.18 In reply to 5124.17 
Hi Peter, 9MB might barely fit through e-mail, please go ahead and give it a try: moi@moi3d.com

Thanks!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5124.19 In reply to 5124.17 
Hi Peter, thanks for sending me the 3DM file through e-mail, I've already sent you back a reply but basically it's not a Mac-specific issue, this particular file is unusually memory consumptive and kind of sluggish generating the mesh on Windows as well.

It seems that the file has excessively dense UV trim curves in it, my guess is that probably the original STEP file had a too small value for its file tolerance labeled in its header - currently the STEP importer uses whatever tolerance is specified in the file itself when it has to do some calculations on the data (particularly when creating UV curves from the 3D edge curve data), and if the tolerance labeled in the file has been set to some kind of unusually small value it can result in strange heavy UV geometry. Anyway, that's my guess on what is happening, we can sort it out further through e-mail.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All