Creating a complex shape
All  1-7  8-11

Previous
Next
5123.8 In reply to 5123.6 
Hi Scott, just a few more notes on what you asked:

> Blending the edges didn't work.

Blend creates a new surface in the empty space between some edge curves. In your case you've got all the pieces touching with no empty space between them, so there's no room available for a blend surface to be created, that's why it would not do anything for you.

See here for some examples on how you would have things set up for doing a blend:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#blend

> Trying a Boolean didn't work wither.

Booleans only intersect objects with one another to cut away parts. Similar to Join, Booleans will not alter the geometric shape of a surface, they will only alter trimming boundaries to cut away some more areas of surfaces.

Like I mentioned previously, really this kind of project with semi-organic type forms does not tend to leverage the best strengths of NURBS modeling - if you're already comfortable doing sub-d modeling then doing things that are more sculptured in shape and semi-blobby-ish without much 2D profiles to them will tend to be better done in your sub-d modeling program.

Models that have more 2D design elements from them and things like holes and cut away areas will be the kind of stuff where NURBS modeling becomes much more useful for you probably. The particular model that you've targeted here is not in that kind of category though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5123.9 In reply to 5123.3 
BurrMan

I do like what you have done here with just these two curves.
Yes, could you please describe what you did?

Scott
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5123.10 In reply to 5123.9 
Hi Scott,
Here's a video of how I made the example.

http://youtu.be/LtElXqa6dDM

In the video, I talked about a poor decision in my model to create a "radiused curve" in the originating curve, instead of a hard edge.. This can create problems later.

I tried to make note of showing how the red curves from your original model are trying to mimic what the fillet creates. Trying to hand model those would be hard. I suppose the trick is to figure out what the original shapes and orientations are that would have the fillet edges match a "picture" or somthing...

I also think that if you are trying to "totally match" from a picture, you may get better results by using a revolove, instead of the blend i use, on the initial pod shape.. Revolving half of that curve, then turning on control points will allow you to change the shape in a way to match your base curves you started with...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5123.11 In reply to 5123.10 
BurrMan,

After trying many different beginning shapes and tools, I finally went with your suggestion and started with a basic ellipse shape.

Then, I created a bulge via the blend tool, mirrored it and shaped it.

Next I created 3 ellipses that matched the shape of the upper section.

I then did a loft through those three curves.

From there, it was easy to merge those two pieces together.

Then came the small camera in the front. I did have a small issue with creating a fillet and had to do it manually. Thanks Jason.

This was all part of a model of LUNA, a German UAV that I'm building for one of our customers.

Thanks for all your help.

Scott

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-7  8-11