A Strange problem
All  1-4  5-14

Previous
Next
5120.5 In reply to 5120.1 
I did some further examinations and happened to figure out that it works well with object constructed in MOI but extruded. So as I exported it as .STEP all dimensions are correct but as soon as I have extruded that 2D draft constructed in MOI inside MOI and exported it things will went wrong and for some reason whole object will be doubled by its size when imported.

I draw every part by using draw tools and then trim, extrude I did not use any primitive solid forms like sphere, cylinder etc. I guess this has nothing to do with exporting dilemma but in case it will help I thought it´ll be wise to mention.

Regards:
Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5120.6 In reply to 5120.5 
Hi Michael and Burrman,

thank you both for your quick respond!

I have set Unit system in MOI as millimeters that should not be the case. Both default and document units have been right from the beginning (as centimeters) since start using MOI.
I am using Spaceclaim trial and there also set as metric so that should not be any issue either. I just made a double check for that just in case.
I really can not understand what the heck is wrong and this is the first time for me also.

But as they opened that file in 3D printing service provider the same double sized part opened.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to send that original file here due to client´s confidential aspect but I can PM it to Michael himself.

I am using MOI v 2.5 beta on Mac in case it helps. Have not yet tried on v3.

Mike

P.S. Yes I was a bit unclear with my explanation so let´s just forget that part shall we. Wont be any big deal :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
http://forum.alibre.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=14810
Over on the Alibre forum, there is a post about a problem with the
size of STL files.

Maybe a centimeter/inch conversion problem...

I would guess that it is NOT a Moi problem...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Just for fun:

EDITED: 10 Aug 2013 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5120.9 In reply to 5120.6 
Hi Mike, thanks for sending the file.

The file looks totally fine, it does have mm units set in it, and I was able to open your file with a variety of different CAD programs and they all load your part fine giving a 100mm tall object.

I test opening your STP file with MoI, Rhino, Alibre, and ViaCAD and all were fine.

Can you please give me a more detailed description of what you are doing to produce a bad result - are you able to actually reproduce any problem yourself or are you just relaying back information about what someone else is seeing?

I guess I would want to see what settings and options the person doing the import has set, maybe they have chosen some weird things in their import settings like to override units or something along those lines.

Maybe you will have to tell them that the file is in millimeters and that they should set their unit system in the program they are importing into to be mm first before they do the import.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5120.10 In reply to 5120.7 
Hi Brian,

> Over on the Alibre forum, there is a post about a problem
> with the size of STL files.

STL (note the L - different from STP files) do not have any way inside of them to mark what units the file are actually in so you have to be careful to tell the receiving person what units have been used.

That should not be an issue with STP files though, STP files do have a units marker in them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5120.11 In reply to 5120.5 
Hi Mike, you wrote:

quote:
I did some further examinations and happened to figure out that it works well with object constructed in MOI but extruded. So as I exported it as .STEP all dimensions are correct but as soon as I have extruded that 2D draft constructed in MOI inside MOI and exported it things will went wrong and for some reason whole object will be doubled by its size when imported.

Could you try to break this down with a bit more detail about some of the steps?

Like for example you write: "and for some reason whole object will be doubled by its size when imported."

When imported into where exactly? What program are you importing it into where you see the size doubled?

Do you see it doubled if you just import it directly back into MoI ?

Again, over here I imported your STP file you sent in e-mail into a number of different programs and I did not see any doubling of size in any of them.

So that leads me to believe it may be something in the import settings in the particular program that you are using for doing the import - if you could give more specific details about that it might help.

Maybe that program has some kind of optional scale factor that can be applied to the import, if so then check it to see if it is set with a scale factor of anything other than a value of 1.0 .

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5120.12 In reply to 5120.11 
Hi everyone.
This case is some what successfully closed. It was not any MOI behavior but Spaceclaim did it wrong for some reason when importing that object. It all went normal after re-installation.
Thank you for your help and advices.

I also want to thank you Michael for serving your excellent support via PM.
Designu
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5120.13 In reply to 5120.12 
Hi Mike, you're welcome and I'm glad that your problem is resolved now!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5120.14 In reply to 5120.6 

SpaceClaim changing imported drawing size

I too had this problem EXCEPT my imports to SpaceClaim from STL were roughly 24x bigger. Just figured it out and wanted to share in case it might help someone else:

>File>SpaceClaim Options>File Options>General -- scroll to "Import Options" then check "Import hidden components and geometry" click "OK"

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-14