Majik Widget Challenge: Utility Box
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-78

Previous
Next
>>MoI Brand Portable Luau System<<

That's a GREAT definition Mike !!This case Burr leave "the Professor" at home and let us discover another part of him.Great idea..just a thing: no coconut trees in your image??...it's a "must" !!

--------

Lejan:that's a PRO image !! Smart use of DOF,box blurred,Yoda on focus...definitely a PRO stuff...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.62 In reply to 5119.57 
Michael,
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I did not know that about the 0.005 threshold tolerance. That could be used for some good later.

Sorry about that, here is a simplified file: http://k4icy.50webs.com/tutorials/surface_join_area_ex01.3dm
The Orange and Green surfaces are the ones in question.

And honestly now, I can't say that I remember exactly what method or workflow I used to create that set of surfaces.
I may have started with an extrusion of the gap-seam shape that was run the length of the box from end to end. Then I may have performed a Boolean Intersect of the extrusion using a closed curve set created from the inside lip of the box.
Hmmm, and I can think of another way or two that set may have been created.

It's great to know that there are so many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

But with the provided file, you can zoom in close and see that the two surface don't exactly meet.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.63 In reply to 5119.62 
Hi Mike, thanks for the file - but without being able to also go through the steps of constructing the surfaces, the only information I can really give you is that "yup, you're right they don't meet" - the reason why they don't meet has something to do with the specific method used to construct them. It could be a bug there, or like I mentioned if you use Network in v2 it can tend to make things that don't meet in this type of way but that has been tuned up in v3 already.

According to the curve deviation tool in Rhino those edge are 0.007 units apart, so yup they're just very slightly outside of the join threshold.

If you do the scaling trick as mentioned above to scale both surfaces down by 1/10 in size, then they will join though because then the gap between them is only 0.0007 units and below the join threshold. To do the scale select them both, then run Transform > Scale, at the first prompt for the scale origin type 0 and push enter to specify 0,0,0 as the scale origin point, then at the second prompt type in 0.1 for the scale factor and push enter - now with your objects scaled down they will join and you can scale back up in the same way with a scale factor of 10.0 this time to restore to original size.

I would need to have reproducable steps for the actual construction of the surfaces in order to give you any more detailed information about _why_ they don't join up, right now looking only at the final result it's pretty hard for me to know what went on previously in the construction to end up with that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well Michael, lets see what I can do....

Here were my steps: (easier to remember when you actually go through them)

I made these two lines and then connected them with the Blend too.

Then I used the Offset tool to make a duplicate.

And connected the ends with a line.
Then I joined the sets together to make a closed curve.

Then I extruded the shape with the ends capped.

Then I Boolean Intersected this extrusion solid with a shape (the interior perimeter) I derived from an inside offset of the box I created.

Then... oh well..... (What in the heck did I get right this time - or got wrong last time???)

Hmm... here is the file I derived these pics from:
http://www.mediafire.com/?r729m1wblhtxm4h

This is how the closed curve was derived from the inter-perimeter of the box:
After I performed a Boolean Difference on the middle section of the box to create the seam,
I selected the perimeter edge curves and Joined them to make a copy.
Now this curve was not planar as it followed the swooping 3D shape of the seam.
I used the handle-bar selection to make the curve "Flat".
I then used that flat closed curve to perform an Offset that was created towards the middle.
At this point it may be a good idea to "Rebuild" this curve.

My only guess is that something went wrong in this process, like an overlapping curve or something not connect.

Sorry, Michael, this is all I can come up with.

But none the less, this entry may be of some use to other modelers.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.65 In reply to 5119.64 
Hi Mike, thanks for doing the steps and posting the file!

But yeah it looks like these steps must not have been quite 100% exactly the same thing that you did before, because you've got all totally fine and all joined together solids in this result and not the same kind of problem as you had before.

So unfortunately I'm not really any closer to giving you any more information about your previous question about why you ran into that join problem before.

Thank you though for trying to set up a reproducable example - getting reproducable steps so I can see the problem actually unfold through the actions that caused it does greatly help for being able to figure out what's going on and if it's a bug or something in the geometry or whatever...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.66 In reply to 5119.64 
Hi Mike, also previously you were asking about Loft and whether that had something to do with your problem?

But your new steps you show most recently above don't seem to involve Loft at any stage...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.67 In reply to 5119.66 
Maybe I tried it and it didn't work, then did something else...

Yeah, I often get "modeler's regret" when I notice five steps down, that I could have done something better.

I'll often look back at some of my tutorials and realize that I was glad I made them. My inspiration if keen but not so much my memory. ;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 5119.68 deleted 14 May 2012 by LEJAN

Previous
Next

A vintage version ... :)
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.70 In reply to 5119.64 
I like how you obtained main profile (made two red lines then BLENDED to have a rounded connection )
Leaving other technical discussions,it's logical that rubber seal must be a solid..it's an object,have a tickness,so a solid.
If not happens,you must try to obtain it,searching where are open parts (this is my workflow)

Thanks again Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.71 In reply to 5119.70 
apparently the coconut tree's are growing iron rigid leaves in only 2 distinct shapes now.... We can still party though.....

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.72 In reply to 5119.71 
...now is really a MoI Brand Portable Luau System (i can't imagine a party without coconut trees..).Great!

----

Lejan:the vintage one surely meets Mike's flavour !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Lejan... wow!... no, no... let's try this again: WOWWWWWWW!!!! =-D

Now that is awesome. (of course, it is breakfast time at the moment)

A 12-slice Mega-Toaster. Great job with the render, by the way!

(I just noticed the "coal" setting.)

Burr, Yes, but you can't complain about its time-released palm tree action. Who said a portable luau couldn't be more than a glass and a bottle of the good stuff. ;-)

EDITED: 15 May 2012 by MAJIKMIKE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.74 In reply to 5119.73 
Glad you like it, but you can't really mess a good base model which is fun to play with!

The 'coal' setting finally get's rid of those random happenings of burning your toast
and therefore creates a more convincing illusion of a controlled life... ;)

Cinema 4D, physical renderer and vintage look in PS.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.75 In reply to 5119.74 
It came out nice!

I especially like the glowing coils, nice touch.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5119.76 In reply to 5119.71 
Hi BurrMan,

just in case more shade is needed there is a free tree generator for hot party times... ;)

http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=treed.about
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Lejan - Love the Retro Toaster!

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5119.78 In reply to 5119.76 
Hi Lejan,
""""""""""""just in case more shade is needed there is a free tree generator for hot party times... """""""""

Thanks for that link. I always like to fool around with those.... I have a couple that can do a decent job. There's a cool one for Carrara that will do "ivy", so you can set a base up, and it will generate obj growth all over the object. Like Ivy.. The app that rendered that has a tree generator also. but maybe not as robust. I'll have to check out the one you posted. Bryce has a decent one.

I suppose I could spend some time making a few different leaves for 8 different branches and get a good result. I used ScaleArray on a single leaf shape, which doesnt do much for Organic. Might take me a couple days to do it good though...

Probably what I would do is create single leaf (poor little guy, needs a girl), then flow it to 12 or 15 (Something close to double 7) different surface shapes, then use some type of array, like ArrayGem or path, to distrubute the different shapes throughout a stem, then go in and manually rotate/move the leaves to break it up. Then, flow that to a few different surface shapes to generate enough branches to elude detection of repeated shapes. Probably then look for a texture that works and set something different on the stem and leaves. Make my nuts smaller, and add a few...

I was really diggin on your toaster... I'm looking forward to see stuff you do with MoI......

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-78