some help please
 1-20  21-33

Previous
Next
5105.21 In reply to 5105.20 
Hi southpaw,

> It seems the measurements are registered correctly in the
> software, just not displayed correctly.

Yup, the bug did not impact entering the values, just the display of it in that one particular area of the UI, and just with some particular situations (units = inches, "feet & inches" type display, and then trying to display a value of over 100 inches in size).

> It works great!!!

Great!

> When you do make the fix and it rounds up, please consider
> providing checkbox somewhere easy to find that says
> something like "don't round".

Yeah I want to rework how that display works. It may be difficult to do no rounding at all though because there is only space for one line of stuff there in the UI, and if the numbers get too large it will fill up the available space and just get truncated. But I do want to rework it so that it doesn't try to round if there is actually enough space to fit unrounded (or "default rounded" by the current precision setting) values there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5105.22 In reply to 5105.21 
Hi Michael & Southpaw - Michael, your UI already pre-highlights objects as you move the cursor over them, how about a timed stop thing, so if the cursor is left hovering without a selection being committed that a pop-out dialog box displays for x-amount of time displaying details of dimensions as non rounded values, you could also use the info box to display layer info and object name etc ?

Would that help you too Southpaw ?

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
These Imperial measures are a true headache for Decimal users and also seems for the coder :)

Does we must load the little fix above or can we wait a future beta ?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5105.24 In reply to 5105.22 
Hi Martin,

> Hi Michael & Southpaw - Michael, your UI already pre-highlights
> objects as you move the cursor over them, how about a timed
> stop thing, so if the cursor is left hovering without a selection
> being committed that a pop-out dialog box displays

I've just generally tried to avoid having a lot of that type of tooltip type popup stuff, having too much of it can tend to get in the way of actually seeing and working on the model itself...

The other issue is that currently the values that you see in the top level UI are just a quick approximation anyway - when you click on it to drop down the more detailed panel right now, it does a more intensive calculation for determining the bounds of the object and on complex objects that can be somewhat time consuming. It can be problematic to trigger time consuming processes too easily.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5105.25 In reply to 5105.23 
Hi Pilou,

> Does we must load the little fix above or can we wait a future beta ?

You should load it if you use units=inches and work with "feet & inches" type fractional display for displaying coordinates instead of a decimal display.

If that specific case does not apply to you then there is no need for applying it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Pilou>>These Imperial measures are a true headache<<

i'm happy to hear it from someone else too....Mercy !!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5105.27 In reply to 5105.26 
""""""""""Pilou>>These Imperial measures are a true headache<<

i'm happy to hear it from someone else too....Mercy !!""""""""

Ahhhhh, but it's such a sweet system... I'm glad we still have it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5105.28 In reply to 5105.22 
TpwUK, a lot of things would be helpful, lol. Importing dwg files from AutoCAD and assigning them a 3rd dimension automatically(to prevent the typical this is not 3d error... everything I've tested except Houdini gives me this common error -- atleast, importing the other fbx compatible format - nothing seems to import the now native dwg format... which would be really helpful. -AutoCAD LT only exports editable files as dwg and fbx... go figure), dimensioning tools, geometric tolerancing tools/display, leaders, tables for a dimension organized list, that kind of stuff(Of course completely nodal modeler would be awesome also, as models get more complex). And all of this cad type stuff would be even more helpful knowing someone who was doing it now that SketchUp is being sold.

Essentially... a 3D CAD program that was easy to model(moi has got this in spades), yet fully supported the autodesk dwg format(or fbx), so it was an effective go between of AutoCAD light and a nodal workflow without metric and imperial measurements like Houdini.

Mr. Michael is right though... the popups can definitely detract from modeling, yet the live input commands that AutoCAD has make modeling much faster. It's kind of a catch 22.

EDITED: 27 Apr 2012 by SOUTHPAWAMI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5105.29 In reply to 5105.28 
Have you tried Rhinoceros 3D - It's like MoI but offers many more import and export options - including DWG , and if I remember rightly it was always meant to play with AutoCAD even sharing the same Accurender format at one stage - Don't know if it still does though. It's gone beyond my basic needs, I am a garden designer but have no formal drafting knowledge other than what i learnt when at school, so the more pro features the more i get lost.

I can agree with the pop-up window but still see it as a non problem, move the mouse it closes, it don't appear unless you hover over an object and an ability to turn it off and on as needed and to set a timer event for it to close even if you don't move the mouse again, all would keep it's interference level to a minimum whilst providing a quick info sheet without having to scroll through layers and properties sheets to find the one you want - kinda made sense to me, but each to their own. :)

As for live commands - Press the TAB key and you can type in commands from the MoI command set available for here http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference.htm
you can even get the manual and print it for yourself if you're like me and need that tactile connection with a book/manual - That can be found here http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_help.pdf

All the best SouthPaw

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5105.30 In reply to 5105.29 
Martin,

Well, tried importing a dwg file from AutoCAD LT to Rhino Evaluation... nothing shows up, regardless of zoom. Then I exported to a 2010 dxf and nothing showed up. Guess Rhino is out for me. dxf imports in Shade3D and Houdini. Shade3D handles everything as a drawing, so everything that is not the object is still the drawing... a sure argument for layers. Houdini does import dxf(vertically.. have to rotate it -90 degrees) Guess I'll download a 30 day trial of autocad... lol.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5105.31 In reply to 5105.28 
Can you post a sample dwg file to look at?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5105.32 In reply to 5105.28 
Hi southpaw,

> yet fully supported the autodesk dwg format(or fbx),

Unfortunately Autodesk basically goes out of their way to make dwg format difficult to deal with... In the future I would like to try to support DXF format though which is actually documented (for 2D drawing entities anyway, not for 3D solids).

Usually though Rhino does a good job with DWG and DXF files, so that's kind of odd that it is not working for you. Like Burr mentioned, can you post some kind of simple example DWG file that is not working for you? That would let us try it with a couple of different programs to see if there would be any other good way for you to transfer stuff.

You might try ViaCAD also. It's really inexpensive at $99 and can be a pretty useful tool in the CAD toolbox:
http://www.punchcad.com/p-9-viacad-2d3d-v8.aspx

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5105.33 In reply to 5105.32 
Mr. Michael,

I kind of figured that Autocad did that with their default dwg format. I appreciate that you're looking into the dxf format at some point in the future.

Bought the ViaCAD 2D/3D on your suggestion. It imports the older dxfs and dwgs well. Looks like it'll hash up a blueprint pretty quick. Rather 3D model in anything else though, lol. I'll try to like it this summer.

Brian

EDITED: 1 May 2012 by SOUTHPAWAMI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-33