Igis?
All  1-2  3-6

Previous
Next
5064.3 In reply to 5064.2 
BurrMan,

I agree with you, I tried the obj file format but I forgot that I changed the setup for a mesh only export, it works fine when material is on again. With the obj file I have all the object name and style name.

But all this being fine it's not my point, is there a particular reason that iges files don't have the names I've setup for both objects and styles? Just curious.

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5064.4 In reply to 5064.1 
Hi Felix,

> It's not a big deal but I wonder if it would be possible to preserve
> the named styles?

I don't think that there is any mechanism in the IGES file format to have names for layers/styles, that format is structured to just tag things with a "level" which is a numeric id.

> I also noticed that the named object loose their name with this
> format but this could be Keyshot way.

There is a mechanism in IGES for specifying object names, and MoI does already make use of it - if you export a named object to IGES and read it back in you should see the names being preserved.

Since IGES has limitations in the file format itself, I'd recommend using a different format for transferring to a rendering program like Keyshot - OBJ format should generally work better for this transfer and the styles list will become a named materials list in the OBJ file and object names are also written to OBJ format. Just in general OBJ format is more focused on rendering data transfer, IGES is focused more on just CAD geometry transfer.

When you export to OBJ from MoI to go into Keyshot, just set the "Output: Quads & Triangles" option in the export dialog, since I don't think that Keyshot likes to deal with complex n-gons.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5064.5 In reply to 5064.3 
Hi Felix,

> is there a particular reason that iges files don't have the
> names I've setup for both objects and styles? Just curious.

For styles it's because IGES is structured to use numeric id values for what it calls "levels".

For object names, MoI does write those to the IGES file and if they are not going through that means that Keyshot is not reading them.

OBJ format should be more robust for going to a rendering program, it's more widely used for transfer of rendering data.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5064.6 In reply to 5064.5 
Michael,

thanks for the explanation. Now that I've turn on material, everything is fine with the obj file format.

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-6