Sorry to overkill the helix topic

Next
My apologies for bringing this up again as i know it has been talked to death. I am currently using the trial of MoI and the reason i want to buy the software, silly as it sounds is because i want to design something like the da vinchi air-screw. its a conical Helix, and i'm have no joy designing one and ive spent my whole night combing this forum and nothing has helped. Please a kind a appeal to the highly respected creator of MoI and all others too, to assist with a simple Helix tutorial that is as fool-proof and simple as extruding a shape. Please assist. How do i go about making something like this

Of course, its the sloping and vortex geometry i am trying to learn and that has brought me here. Some please kindly assist. Thanks.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5048.2 In reply to 5048.1 
Maybe this will help:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5048.3 In reply to 5048.2 
I think the twist function is only in version 3 beta or the 2.5 mac beta. not in the 2.0 trial :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5048.4 In reply to 5048.1 
Hi designer, also check out some of these previous posts about creating a screw thread from a helix, they could show you another possible way to do it:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=767.2
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=490.36

Also another one here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4623.1

But one approach is to first draw a helix path curve, which you can do with the Helix command, look for it under Draw curve > More > Helix.

The Helix command will also let you create a tapered helix, set the "Tapered" checkbox option that shows up inside the command options and that will let you pick both a start radius at the bottom of the axis as well as a separate radius for the end of the axis line to make a tapered helix.

Then once you have the general path, draw another curve hanging off of it and use the Construct > Sweep command to build a surface that follows the path, that's the part that is shown in the screw thread discussions above. Set the "Twist = Flat" option inside of Sweep to avoid having the profile do any banking as it travels along the path.

Let me know if you are still stuck after looking at these other examples.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The easiest way to create something like that IMO is to draw the helix first, then a straigth line in the center that is your axis and then simply do a loft between them:

For a bit of thickness you can use the Shell command afterwards and then boole your central axis cylinder with the result...

Did something similar a while ago with a smaller helix in the center... (couldn't make the second attachement viewable inline with the message edit function...???)

Cheers,

Tom
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 190.8 KB, Downloaded: 39 times, Dimensions: 1040x1040px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5048.6 In reply to 5048.5 
That is sweet Tom! I never thought if that and it makes a nice surface! :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ladies and Gentlemen, it is a pleasure, and i am a believer. just trying to load up my debit card now to pay for the V3. All methods worked beyond my expectations. It's amazing how much power can be found in the dumbfounding simplicity of this ware. Michael, all i can say is keep it up. The power of nature that creates things is powerful and yet so simple, AND effective!!!!!!!!!! - look around if you don't believe me. In this simple package, you give us the ability to create things of our imagining and inspiration. Truly remarkable. Please confirm i can pay direct for the v3?

Greetings from Nigeria.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Beauty of the simplicty!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5048.9 In reply to 5048.7 
Hi designer, I'm really glad that you like MoI!

> Please confirm i can pay direct for the v3?

Yes, you should be able to order it directly, you will probably need to use a credit card that has a billing address inside of your country though.

Also v3 is not completed yet, it's still under development and is in beta release, it will still be quite a while yet before it's finished up and so right now it's only version 2 that you can actually purchase for now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5048.10 In reply to 5048.9 
As the great Bruce Dickenson would suggest "Ive really been exploring the space!"

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5048.11 In reply to 5048.10 
Replace the first vertical line by again a narrow slender Helix ;)
You will obtain a Meta Helix ;)

And for inspiration (With Sketchup)

by Kito Raupp

EDITED: 7 Apr 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Burrman, you the man!!! wow!!!! Thanks, and all too.

Just paid for my license on the v2 and received a key. Thanks, Michael. I guess i can go on ahead and request the trial v3, as that twist function is almost too good to pass up.

And now, to the nitty gritty - starting to climb the learning curve to masterful use of the software. I see there are lots of tutorials, and i guess one can learn quicker following along with what is being made in the many tutorial videos. That is sure a good way to learn, however, what i want to know is if there is any introductory video that shows what each button/function does - the raw basics, or perhaps i've missed those. Thanks. "Designer".
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5048.13 In reply to 5048.12 
oh i see, it's all in "resources". Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5048.14 In reply to 5048.12 
Hi designer, thanks for your order!

You can get the v3 beta release from the link at the bottom of the download page here:
http://moi3d.com/download.htm

And it looks like you may have found them already but the introductory videos are here:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/tutorials.htm

The help file is here:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_help.htm

And the list of what each button does is in the help file reference section here:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference.htm

Also there are more links to other videos and other stuff in the Resources section of the web site.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All