Scan and Solve for Rhino
All  1  2-9

Previous
Next
5042.2 In reply to 5042.1 
I have asked that here and on the s&s forum. based on the responses I got I wouldn't hold your breath. kubotek and amps just realesed a product worth looking at. also dst simwise 4d depending on what you're doing. lastly concepts nrec just put out an fea program that looks promising for rotating blades only.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5042.3 In reply to 5042.1 
Hi Michael,

> Is this something that could be incorporatable into Moi?

Scan & Solve is a plug-in for Rhino - it's something that runs within the Rhino environment and is tied specifically to Rhino.

Geometry is interchangable between MoI and Rhino, but plug-ins are programs that run within the host program's environment and are not interchangable between different programs.

I'd recommend contacting the developers of Scan & Solve and asking them if they could develop a standalone version that ran all on its own instead of only as a plug-in to Rhino.

Or other than that a simple solution is to just get Rhino to run along with MoI and then you can open your MoI objects inside of Rhino to use with Scan & Solve, data exchange from MoI into Rhino works very well, they use the same 3DM file format and you can even use Copy and Paste to move objects back and forth between them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5042.4 In reply to 5042.3 
I pinged the developers, we'll see what they get back with.

I'd love to get Rhino and maybe will one day, but right now I'm using Moi, Alibre, Hexagon, Sketchup and Twilight to do the majority of my work. Doesn't feel right to plunk down another $900 for Rhino and $700 for Scan-and-Solve.

Thanks Michael!

Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5042.5 In reply to 5042.2 
Thanks prop_design for your input. All those programs are considerably more than I'd like to spend right now for the usually, quick and dirty types of analyses I currently do. I use LISA for most of that, but it'd be nice to have something with nice GUI that's not so finicky and does a decent job with translations, etc. It would just make my workflow better.

Thanks again!

Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5042.6 In reply to 5042.5 
I was interested in lisa but they said it wouldn't do what I needed. I have asked the developers of s&s about doing a Moi version and they said no get rhino. you can see the forum posts there. I asked about doing a stand alone version too and they were not interested. there seems to be only one programmer there, also named michael. some of the stuff the other guy vadim says is just ridiculous. so I am not that interested in them too much anymore.

also check out z88 its free and open source. a new version is coming out soon. it may do what you want.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5042.7 In reply to 5042.6 
Thanks for the word on Z88. Something to look forward to. I did get a response from them and this is what they wrote back:
Michael,

This option is under consideration. You can help us decide by
telling us why it would make a difference to you ... or others ...

Thank you.

Vadim

Maybe we need to build a decent case for it.

Best!

Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5042.8 In reply to 5042.7 
moi has a much lower cost than rhino and is easier to use. moi also enables me to model some things that rhino can't. I can model stuff very quickly in moi, compared to rhino, due to moi's ease of use. moi makes modeling fun.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5042.9 In reply to 5042.8 
I agree on all points!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options