Projection of point selections

Next
Hello all

I often have the situation that a projection wont give satisfying results when the target object has some back taper. What would really help is if I could just select some points of the path I need to project and just projekt them orthogonally. Then I´d select another few and project them as needed.

MOI does not allow this as far as I can see. Is there any workaround to do that?

Cheers
Rogurt
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5040.2 In reply to 5040.1 
can you post a sample of what you are talking about?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5040.3 In reply to 5040.1 
Hi Rogurt, yeah the Project command only projects an entire object like the full curve onto another object, it does not itself know anything about control point selections and so it doesn't process just a few selected control points.

That's something that I could tune up in the future though, I've added it on my todo list for v3.

In the meantime a workaround for that is to duplicate the control points as separate individual point objects (when they are selected doing a Ctrl+C copy and then a Ctrl+V paste will do that), then those individula point objects can be projected onto an object, you will probably need to set a direction for the projection by clicking 2 points along the line you want them to be projected. Then that will give you some points on the surface you can snap each one on to.

It's hard to follow what you mean by problems with "back taper" though - if you want more help with some specific situation like Burr mentions it would help if you could please post an example 3DM model file with some objects in it that show the kind of taper that you mentioned.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5040.4 In reply to 5040.3 
Hello Michael,

attached is an example file. A projection of a spline drawn in sideview (cyan) will not give good results neither on the forefoot nor on the other side. So what I would want here is just select some points and project one at a time. Also I´d like to be able to project just onto the surfaces that I can see (face me) since the projection on the hidden surfaces give unwanted results quite often requiring more handwork...

Maybe you can also give me advice on why the basic object (blue) can be done with MOI network command with the splines I imported from a rhino file (green) but not with the splines I created in MOI (orange)

Cheers
RogurtHello Michael,

attached is an example file. A projection of a spline drawn in sideview (cyan) will not give good results neither on the forefoot nor on the other side. So what I would want here is just select some points and project one at a time. Also I
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5040.5 In reply to 5040.4 
Hi Rogurt,

Your shoe's surface shape is very irregular, the projection result would be different form one side to the other, you would have to have a slightly different shape spline for each side, I'm not sure what your after exactly but you could try and extrude a surface from the cyan spline into the shoe as shown in the picture below, then you turn on the control points of the spline, manipulate the control points and the extruded surface will update that way you can see what's going at the shoe surface, once you're satisfied run Construct > Curve > Isect which will give you an intersection curve between the two surfaces it's the same as doing a Project but more visually manual way.

> Maybe you can also give me advice on why
> the basic object (blue) can be done with MOI
> network command with the splines I imported
> from a rhino file (green) but not with the
>splines I created in MOI (orange)

Your orange spline set up isn't that clean if you zoom up to the areas circled in the picture you can see why....

Circled #1: This cross spline doesn't quite make an intersection, turn on your control points and you can move the end point to create an intersection.

Circled #2: Here you'll have to trim the curves as well as move control points to tidy up this intersection.

Once you've cleaned up those two areas Network should work.

Cheers
~Danny~

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5040.6 In reply to 5040.4 
Hi Rogurt, thanks for posting the file.

> A projection of a spline drawn in sideview (cyan) will not
> give good results neither on the forefoot nor on the
> other side.

I get a result that looks like this:

Can you maybe describe what is not good about those results, nothing appears bad there to me with just an initial look over it.

Note that in the project command since the curve you are projecting is not planar, you will need to place 2 points inside the command to define the projection direction. Usually it is easier to project planar curves, but your curve kind of bends and is kind of warped in 3D instead of being a planar curve.

You can make it planar by selecting it and squishing it flat using one of the corner edit frame grips until you get "flat snap", see an example here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3378.4

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5040.7 In reply to 5040.6 
Thanks a lot guys.

The shape of the resulting part is asymmetrical in real word so a simple projection did not do. Meanwhile I tried with drawing a freeform curve "through control points" with just surface snap on. Setting the points with care one gets a result with not too many control points and it will trim the basic shape of the shoe properly.

With your method I would have to make three parts and connect them. If the projected ends do not meet each other a 100% I would have quite a hard time adjusting since there are so many points. At least my first testing with this method was not that fun.

Michael, I had a look at the blue path and saw that the ends are not intersecting either. This is why I did not bother checking for that with the orange. But now I will do so...

Cheers
Rogurt
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5040.8 In reply to 5040.7 
I took Danny's isect curves a step further and created a network patch surface that would yield the point structure of the "projection curve". This allows me to match both sides of the surface independently to recreate a curve iscet in a surface.....

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5040.9 In reply to 5040.8 
Tried that also but it gave me quite a hard time on the forefoot area. I think I´ll stay with painting a new path directly onto the surface "through points" and "snap on surface".
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All