please, need help again!
 1-20  21-23

Previous
Next
Yeah usually you would also use a boolean for that - finish building any pieces of your curved surface so that it is a solid volume and not just a single surface and then create your text as solids. Then select your base piece and run boolean difference, and then select the text as the cutting objects and it will cut into it and leave an engraved result.

But how would the text follow the curved surface?

MIke
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4997.22 In reply to 4997.20 
Hi Mike,

> Because I don't know it better. I thought, thats the
> way to do it.

Well it could be the way to do it in some particular situations, like if you have a surface and you want to thicken it into a slab that has uniform thickness then the Shell command can do that.

But I'm just not sure from your general description of using offset and inset if that's the kind of thing that you were doing or whether you were trying to do something different.

It would probably help to see a 3DM model file with the surface and text in it to give you better specific advice for what technique to use, it can be difficult for me to fully understand what you were trying to do from just a text description - being able to see a 3DM model file really helps me to understand what you were trying to do and I can then give better advice when I'm sure that I understand.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4997.23 In reply to 4997.20 
Hi Mike,

> I'm comming from the Polygon/Subdivision-Modelling and
> have very little experience in Nurbs-Modelling.

Check out here for some links to previous discussions with some various tips for people coming from a poly modeling background:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2

One of the biggest differences is that with NURBS modeling you should generally try to focus on using booleans as the main way to do things, and that takes some getting used to if you come from a sub-d modeling background since you usually avoid it for sub-d.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-23