modo601 import issues

Next
Hello,

there some modo users here, so i ask here too:-)
after a fresh install of the new modo601 I make some import tests with lxo files from MoI, that open perfect in modo501.
In modo 601, they look ugly...

when saved from 501 (perfect looking) and open in 601 everything is fine...

so... any hints whats going on?

(its not really an MoI problem, i think)

best regards

tijai

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4976.2 In reply to 4976.1 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4976.3 In reply to 4976.2 
Hello!

yes, i should use the search first... my fault:-)

and yes... when exporting from MoI 3 beta with vertex normals style "LW 10"
it looks fine in modo 601.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4976.4 In reply to 4976.1 
Hi tijai - it's a change that Luxology has made in Modo 601.

They switched the orientation that they read normals in from LWO files - they now read in normals using the same orientation as LightWave v10.

So that means that LWO files with vertex normals in them that imported fine into Modo 501 and earlier will not work properly with Modo 601 anymore - I would recommend contacting them and asking why they made this change and if they have any settings that can be adjusted to go back to Modo 501 behavior.

If you are using MoI v3 there is an option to export LW10 style vertex normals that you can set under Options > Import/Export > LWO options > "Vertex normals style" - set that to "Vertex normals style: LightWave v10" and then the LWO file that is generated out from MoI should go into Modo 601 properly.

If you have a bunch of existing LWO files already saved out, then as you already found out that if you import them into Modo 501 and then save out as an LXO file you can then open that LXO file in Modo 601 and it will be ok, because they did not change how the normals work for LXO files, only for LWO files.

But that may be annoying to do that if you have a lot of files - hopefully they will implement something like a setting so that you could go back to the previous LWO import behavior in Modo since that's really quite awkward for a program to suddenly change how it interprets vertex normals without having some way to stay compatible with previous files.

Anyway, I do suggest that you contact Luxology and also ask them why it suddenly behaves differently in Modo 601, maybe if they get enough questions about it they will make a setting for it that you can adjust in Modo.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4976.5 In reply to 4976.4 
Hello Michael,

i mixed up lxo and lwo...
sorry:-)

and maybe luxology change the normals-style because of their new "cad-loader" :-)
i gonna ask them :-)

best regards

tijai
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4976.6 In reply to 4976.4 
Hello again..

For your information:

Arnie Cachelin from luxology wrote a reply to my post in the modo-forum:

"This is worth clarifying. Previous versions of modo exported LWO vertex normals incorrectly (they were in modo right-handed coordinates, rather than LW left-handed). Arguably this was not a bug, due to the nature of vert maps, but in reality it was and caused apps like MOI to add a special mode for modo. Robert from Okino brought this to our attention just before 501 came out, and it was finally fixed for 601."

I understand this: old modo was wrong, new modo 601 is correct:-)

best regards

tijai
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4976.7 In reply to 4976.6 
Hi tijai,

> I understand this: old modo was wrong, new modo 601 is correct:-)

That makes some sense on why they would change it.

But the problem is that it was the "wrong" way for quite a long time so people may have various things in place (like old saved .lwo files) that now won't work properly all of a sudden.

With a change like that, I would have thought that they would include some option so you could switch it back to the old way if someone needed it for compatibility, that would help to ease the transition instead of just all of a sudden doing things differently with no way to control it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All