Volume calculations

Next
A bit off of MoI, but was looking for experience here...

Can anyone help point me towards volume+weight calculations for end-material weights? Or will it be more complex?

I would like to create a solid, then get it's volume properties from something like Rhino, then know what that volume of say "Lead" would weigh.

Will it be a simple "Volume+Function with lead properties"= final weight? Or is it more complex than an answer here.

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4945.2 In reply to 4945.1 
Hi Burr, you need to look up the "density" of the material, the density is a number that gives the weight of the material for a certain unit of volume.

Just pay attention to the units that the density is in and then multiply that number by your volume in the same unit system and that will give you the weight.

So say for example your object has a volume of 33 cubic centimeters.

If you want to get its weight if made of lead, look up the density of lead, which according to wikipedia is 11.34 grams per cubic centimeter.

Now you can multiple 33cc * 11.34 grams/cc and get a value of 374.22 grams as the result.

Just be careful that the units of your volume matches the units that the density number is in.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
4945.3 In reply to 4945.2 
Thanks Michael. Seems like I shouldve been able to figure that... :o
  Reply Reply More Options