move from Moi to Vertric cut 3D?

Next
I am new to this so forgive, but I can not figure out how to save a project in Moi and open it in Vertric cut 3D.
Also how would I then save and move this file to Mach3?

Thanks

Tony
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4939.2 In reply to 4939.1 
Hi Doc,

Although I don't have or use Vectric, I've use very similar programs before.
Try exporting your model from MoI as an STL file, then import that STL into Vectric.

Never used Mach3, but I'd assume that same STL would work for it also.

HTH, Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4939.3 In reply to 4939.2 
We are not having luck getting the file to get saved as a stl file to move and open it in vectric. Any help getting this step to work would be great as we are stumped.

Thanks

Tony
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Doc, I use Cut 3D.

First of all, create your 3D model in MOI. Save it as the standard NURBS 3DM file type. Then "save as" a .STL file. You'll be given the opportunity to adjust how accurately the STL file mirrors the MOI model by playing around with the polygon count and the "divide larger than" input. I generally cut small projects and use .125 as my divide number. Now just open CUT 3D and click on "Load 3D file". Find the .stl file you just saved and you should be good to go. The tutorials on Vectric's website will help you figure out what machining options are best for your project.

Good luck.

Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4939.5 In reply to 4939.1 
Hi Tony, yes like the others mention above you would use STL format to move data from MoI into Vectric cut 3D.

You must however make an actual solid model in order to export to STL - if you have only drawn wireframe curve outlines and not constructed any solids then you won't be able to export just those wireframe curves to STL - STL is meant to hold solids (in triangulated form) not just wires.

re: Mach3 - I'm not really familiar with Mach3 but it looks like it is a more low level CNC controller and it does not deal with model files directly but instead needs to import G-code which are toolpath instructions that are usually generated by a CAM program. I guess there is a companion program called LazyCAM that can do that part. It looks like it is still in beta and not a fully finished program though and it also sounds like it is a 2D oriented program so the situation is a lot different there and you would only be able to export wireframes for that route and not solids. It looks like possibly the only format that it will take is DXF format, and to get your MoI curves into DXF format you will have to use the 3DMCurves2DXF converter program from here:
http://moi3d.com/resources#3dmCurves2DXF_converter

That whole Mach3 route looks like it will probably be more complex and may be difficult if the LazyCAM piece is only in beta and has not been all the way finished up.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4939.6 In reply to 4939.5 
MoI is the modeler (CAD). Vectric is the toolpath, gcode creator (CAM). Mach 3 is the CNC Machine "Controller". Mach 3 opens the gcode file and runs the machine.

Also, vectric supports OBJ, which may give you a little more power in bringing in MoI models.

EDITED: 18 Feb 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4939.7 In reply to 4939.6 
Ok, here is what I am experiencing.
I can save the file in Moi, but when I try to pull it up in Vectric Cut3D it replies "requested file not found".

When I save it in Moi as a STL file and it wont open in Vectric Cut3D Is there something I am missing with the stl format and the mesh vs polygonal format????

Thanks for helping me out.

Tony
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4939.8 In reply to 4939.7 
Maybe set your vectric icon to run as administrator.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Are you running the demo version of Cut 3D? If so, they only allow you to open the models that came with the demo program.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4939.10 In reply to 4939.7 
Hi Tony,

> When I save it in Moi as a STL file and it wont open in
> Vectric Cut3D Is there something I am missing with the
> stl format and the mesh vs polygonal format????

And you're sure that you have an actual solid in MoI before exporting, not just a curve wireframe, right?

If you just have a regular STL file and Vectric Cut3D will not open it you will probably need to ask on the vectric forum for some help with that, their forums are here:
http://www.vectric.com/forum/

Or are you running the demo version like Bob mentions above?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All