Hire-for Small Chinese Dragon

Next
Hello,

Belated Happy Chinese New Year 2012, The Year of the Dragon.

I am interested in hiring someone to create a small Chinese style dragon? It would be about two inches wide and about an inch tall. Because of its size, the model does not need to be very detailed but instead should be easily recognizable.

I have included images of the type of dragon I envision for illustration purposes. I'm looking for something generally similar to the top dragon but a bit more friendly, not unlike Mushu from Disney's Mulan. You can have fun with this and I am somewhat flexible as to final look but it should have a certain snakelike coil (that I can explain later).

I only have MoI version 01, so the final file should open with this version (e.g. .3dm). Please forgive my ignorance, but it should be a fully edible NURBS file such as created in MoI; I would like to be able to manipulate this dragon using MoI.

Anyone available and interested? If so, what are your estimates on time and what you would charge for your services?

Thanks for your consideration.

Oseegee

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4906.2 In reply to 4906.1 
Hi Oseegee, maybe someone will be able to do that for you, but it may be unlikely that you will find anyone to do that, mostly because MoI is a CAD type program and is generally more focused on technical and mechanical type shapes. Your dragon shape appears to be a highly organic more character type model and most often that style of modeling is better done in a sub-d polygon modeling program rather than in a CAD program.

There are a variety of different kinds of 3D modeling programs that use different styles of modeling to create objects, and different programs tend to be better for certain kinds of model types. That type of model is not really the type of model that fits in very well with MoI's particular style of modeling.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4906.3 In reply to 4906.2 
Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for the info and suggestions. I'll look into, of course. However, if you don't mind, I'll also wait a while to see if anyone responds. Perhaps, those here on the forum can also use other programs that will suffice for this type of organic, character shape.

Regards,
Oseegee
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4906.4 In reply to 4906.3 
Hi Oseegee,

> However, if you don't mind, I'll also wait a while to see if
> anyone responds.

Certainly, no problem!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4906.5 In reply to 4906.3 
Hi Oseegee,

as Michael pointed out, Moi isn`t the best choice for organics stuff but if you absolutely need a 3dm file for your dragon you may have a potential but limited solution with ZSurf. It would have to be design in a similar fashion to what is done for the chocolate industry with rabbits for example, two (halfs) trimmed surface joined together (in Moi).

Just a suggestion,
Felix

PS. the 3dm file would be way to large and it`s an example I`ve trown in pretty fast to give you an idea.

EDITED: 10 Feb 2012 by FELIX

Image Attachments:
Size: 175.8 KB, Downloaded: 112 times, Dimensions: 770x638px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Made with sculptris.

http://www.swansonillustration.com/art/BIGdragon.jpg

don't think I would try it in MoI though...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4906.7 In reply to 4906.1 
Hi Oseegee,

I have a friend named Chris who's a Jeweller doing CAD/CAM & is very good with Rhino.
In the last 12mths he's also taught himself how to model "organic" style pieces using the Rhino Plug-in called T-Splines.
One model that he was asked to create, was a Dragon pendant.

He made a video at the time to help others understand how he went about creating that particular model using T-Splines.
Here's a link:
http://youtu.be/Td7NWicfUrY

HTH, Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4906.8 In reply to 4906.1 
Hi Oseegee

I was trying a very similar model

The body if quite easy, most of it can be done with sweeps, it's the head where I ran trouble into. (and has now been put onto the back burner:)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4906.9 In reply to 4906.5 
Hi Felix,

Thank you for your suggestion and nice design thrown together. Sure, I'm familiar with chocolate molds and such; this may provide a partial option for my needs. The size of file may be a concern, though with my limited computer capabilities.

Oseegee

EDITED: 11 Feb 2012 by OCGEE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4906.10 In reply to 4906.7 
Hi Colin,

Thank you for the suggestion and link. I checked out the video and Chris has created a nice tutorial. I have some limited experience with Rhino and the T-Splines looks like a solid way to go for organic pieces in the future when I get better with Rhino.

Oseegee

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4906.11 In reply to 4906.6 
Hi Shaun,

Wow. Cool dragon! Thanks much. I checked out Swanson Illustration: http://www.swansonillustration.com and read more about the dragon creation. Then I spent some time looking into Sculptris by Zbrush and think this may be the way to go. The program may work well with a sculpting style. Will have to download a 30 day trial or something and give it a shot.

Oseegee

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4906.12 In reply to 4906.8 
Hi Stevecim,

I'll look into this and sweeps may be particular useful for some of my other efforts in MoI. I agree with you about the head and this presents a problem, especially with my limited skills. Nice start, by the way.

Thanks,
Oseegee
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All