Recent Projects
 1-17  18-37  38-57  58-77  78-79

Previous
Next
490.18 In reply to 490.16 
Hi Elf,

The MDX-15's mechanical tolerance is 0.00625 mm/step, maximum table area is 152.4 (X) x 101.6 (Y) x 60.5 (Z) mm.
The scanner tolerance is 0.05mm.
You can mill a variety of materials on it, even soft metals like aluminium & brass, but you wouldn't do metals on a regular basis.
The Spindle motor just hasn't got the power to mill metal on a continuous basis.

It's a great little 3 axis mill as an entry point if you're only just starting out into CAD/CAM with a limited budget or a hobbyist interested in CAD/CAM.
By adding the various attachments from Fourth Axis, you can then move up a level, as your knowledge or budget improves.

Hope this helps, Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
WOW that sounds great, how much do you have to pay for all that nice equipment?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.20 In reply to 490.19 
Hi hep,

I not sure of the current prices for the Roland MDX-15, but last I seen they were about $3000.00 US.
Best to check if there's a Roland Distributor in your area or country & get the current price.
http://www.rolanddg.com/company/d-list.html
I think the Fourth Axis rotary attachment is around $1500.00 to $1600.00 US, but you'd need to check with Fourth Axis for their price.
http://www.fourth-axis.com/

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I will check in my area, but it gave me an idea about the price, so thanks anyway.
regards Hep
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Everyone,

HOG (Harley Owners Group) Rally 2007 badge.
Model designed in MoI, wax milled with MDX-15, finished piece measures 38mm in length.

regards Colin

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.23 In reply to 490.22 
Hi Colin, ...nice vintage look.... remember to post a casting after lost-wax casting will be finished :) -Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.24 In reply to 490.23 
Hi Petr,

This wax was milled for another Jeweller, so not sure I'll actually get to see the finished piece?
If I do, I'll post a photo of it.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.25 In reply to 490.22 
Very nice result Colin! I love seeing these milled pieces, thanks for sharing it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@ Colin - Thanks for the link to Fourth Axis. I was thinking of getting a small milling system, the MX-20 plus 4th Axis might be perfect for me. I just have one question about the noise when operating. How loud is this thing? Is it reasonable to operate next to your PC and still have a telephone conversation? What about when milling aluminum or brass? I am thinking to operate in my apartment or perhaps in my office...

Thanks,
jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.27 In reply to 490.26 
Hi Jonah,

I have an MDX-20 in my workshop, and with the original motor it was quite loud. Fourth Axis do a conversion to use a Proxxon motor which is much faster , more powerful and quieter. I still would not like to work with it right next to me if I was doing something I had to concentrate on, but a soundproof box should help.
There is an MDX users foum on Yahoo, I hope it is OK for me to put in a link.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mdx_users/

If you go back over past postings it will tell you a lot about the machines and hints about Roland's future plans for the machines.

regards Tim.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Tim. Will check it out...
jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.29 In reply to 490.26 
Hi Jonah,

I agree with Tim, the stock motor is very noisy & ideally better off in another room.
But with the mill in a soundproof box, that should make life a lot easier.

If you're looking at milling Aluminium & Brass on a regular basis, then invest in the Fourth Axis-Proxxon Motor conversion as Tim has already suggested.
I haven't got this particular conversion as yet, but from all accounts it's defiantly the way to go.
The big advantage with this conversion & milling wax is you're then able to use the "one tool" strategy that owners of those bigger mills use.
The stock Roland Motor just doesn't even come close to having enough power to do it.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Everyone,

Here's a wax that I've just finished milling as a Master pattern for another Jeweller.
It's for a Bottle Opener keyring that's to be used as a promotional item.
I believe the finished units will be cast in Bronze.
All designed in MoI & milled with a Roland MDX-15 fitted with Fourth Axis rotary unit.

regards Colin

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.31 In reply to 490.30 
It is just so cool to see these milled parts.

Some of the pockets for the text look pretty small and narrow, but it looks like it has done a good job cutting it.

If you end up getting one of the final bronze pieces, it would be great to see that too! Thanks for sharing the pics,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Added to the special thread Gallery :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Everyone,

In an effort to try & teach myself more on "how to do modelling" with MoI, I made this 1-1 scale Tattoo Machine.
(For what it's worth, within the Tattoo Trade these are called "Machines" & not "guns" as most usually refer)
Mostly all of this was to get a better grasp & understanding of how to use all the different tools in MoI.

The reason I chose a Tattoo Machine is that I used to be a Professional Tattoo Artist for about 20yrs after I first did my apprenticeship as a Jeweller.
Having hand made many of these Machines over those years, I thought it'd be a reasonably good challenge to do one of them in CAD.
Besides that, I've never seen one done as a model before, so figured that also was a good enough reason to try!! : )

One thing I couldn't quite get my head around was making screw threads using the Helix tool.
So of course none of my bolts have any screw threads on them! : (
If someone would like to offer up a basic Tutorial on how to go about producing a threaded bolt, I'd be very grateful.

regards Colin

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.34 In reply to 490.33 
It would be nice to have a section of the forum to share basic, common objects such as machine screws, hex screws, tires & rims, diamonds, etc.

Why re-invent the wheel when you can steal the plans :)

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.35 In reply to 490.34 
Hi Ed, that's a great idea - some kind of model repository. A little bit after V1 has been released and things have died down I am going to be tuning up the web site and forum some more, and I want to put a kind of gallery in for images, and some kind of model repository would be a good idea to do then as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.36 In reply to 490.33 
Hi Colin, nice job on the Tattoo machine, it looks like you are getting increasingly more comfortable building things in MoI!

re: Screw threads - in one sense you may be better off without these since little tiny details like this can tend to add a significant amount of weight and data size to your model. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if your model becomes something like 4 times as big in data size when you try to add these little details in.

But anyway, here is a basic approach if you want to give it a try.

To start with, get your helix and a triangle arranged like this:

Select the triangle and run Construct / Sweep, and pick the helix as the path curve. The helix should be positioned so that it is going up vertically along the world Z axis. Then inside of the Sweep options, you need to set the Twist: option to Twist: Flat - this will prevent the triangle from twisting around as it travels along the helix path. That will give you this shape:

This can now be boolean unioned on to your main bolt shape:

It is probably best if you make the triangle kind of punch through the bolt a little bit instead of trying to make it skim directly along the surface of the bolt. Like in this case, position the triangle a little bit to the left of the bolt body (inside of it). Otherwise if you try to make it skim right along the surface it is too easy for it to just barely skip a tiny amount away from the bolt which makes things more difficult to process for the booleans.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
490.37 In reply to 490.36 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the kind words & Yes, I'm finding that everything is now starting to come together for me in MoI.
I've also found that it's much easier to concentrate on the creative element when in MoI, much more so than in Rhino.
Your whole principle for designing MoI has proven itself to be correct, so I'm very much looking forward to purchasing V1.

I know what you mean about the file size increasing with extra detail, that Tattoo Machine file is already at about 8.3MB.

Thanks for that screw thread info.
Strangely enough I originally tried it just as you've described, but couldn't get the two parts to Boolean Union?
Maybe I didn't have enough of the Profile shape overhanging into the centre Extruded core??
I'll try it again & see how I go.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-17  18-37  38-57  58-77  78-79