Multiple offset?
 1-20  21-33

Next
Hi,

is there a script or some other mean that exist already to create a series of offsets (by distance) either inside or outside in a single step?

Basically I would use it to create "toolpath" geometry but ideally a real "toolpath" script or command would be even better, maybe in some other life.

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.2 In reply to 4898.1 
Hi Felix - I guess you mean generating offsets at an increasing distance value, something like this? :

Right now there is no existing script that I know of for automating that, but I think it should be possible to cook one up.

What information would you want to specify - something like a stepping distance and number of offsets to generate, and then click a point on which side to offset to?

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.3 In reply to 4898.2 
Hi Michael,

yes, that about it. I would think setting the offset by distance would be fine and I think setting the extent would be easier though but I guess setting the number of offset would do just as fine, it's up to you.

I thought about checking out the lineweb script, (I didn'tn yet) could that work?

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.4 In reply to 4898.3 
Hi Felix, I don't think LineWeb would do what you want, LineWeb builds connections between curves - I guess it could sort of do what you describe but to use it in that way you would basically have to model some "fence posts" and then line web could put connections in between those posts. The resulting web is constructed by running a curve just through a few specific points though, it does not have the uniform thickness properties that offset does.

re: Setting the extent, could you describe that a bit more?

Do you mean you would set something like a distance of 1 and then an extent of 5 and that would then generate 5 offsets? But what should it do if you specify an extent that is not an exact multiple of the distance, like if you enter in a distance of 1 and an extent of 5.2, just ignore any excess and still only generate 5 offsets?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.5 In reply to 4898.4 
Michael,

as you expained the problem with extent it could cause me more problem then anything else, so might as well stick with the number of offsets. The only thing I would suggest it to have a done button, that way if I don't have enough or to many offsets I can change the value before committing.

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.6 In reply to 4898.5 
Hi Felix, I'm partway done with making a script for this, I'll probably be able to finish it up sometime tomorrow.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.7 In reply to 4898.5 
Hi Felix, it may take a couple of more days before I'll be able to finish this script.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.8 In reply to 4898.7 
Michael,

I'm beginning to feel bad about all this, I hope it's only because you have more important thing to do.

If ever that could be useful, I found out that CorelDraw as a feature called contour that does basically what I was thinking about and I have a link for you http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/videotips/feb11tips.php

To save time, you can click on the CorelDRAW demo menu option on the left and go directly to see the feature in action.

It's very nice of you to spent time on this but if you think I'm the only who will use it then seriously you can just forget I ever ask.

Regards,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
No no don't abort that: it' will be a very cool function !

I had try to simulate it with Array on curve for divide a curve
Then array again for propagate a line perpendicular to this curve then loft etc...
or tricky "Line web" system
with no probant result :)

EDITED: 9 Feb 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.10 In reply to 4898.9 
Pilou,

I thought it would be just a case of repeating the offset command as many time as needed in a loop, just changing the offset distance a multiple of it each step but it could be more complicated then that.

But creating temp lines at the proper offset value via the array command and using the offset command in through point mode with the repeat option on, it's fairly easy to snap each "offset" at the desired location. I would agree that if there are a lots of offset to realise, it can become tedious.

Thanks,
Felix

EDITED: 10 Feb 2012 by FELIX

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.11 In reply to 4898.10 
Maybe Michael want to put this option inside the Existant Menu of the Offset ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Curious I c'ant make an offset of this curve ! Works for 4 units not for 5 !
http://piloumaison.weebly.com/uploads/3/6/2/0/3620514/curious.3dm

Does it because the first turn is too tight for 5?

And we can see that LineWeb is not exactly the same than Offset
If you make a close Up Red Curve is slighty different thant the Black one of LineWeb! :)

EDITED: 12 Feb 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.13 In reply to 4898.12 
Pilou,

I would think it's because offset would create a self intersecting curve for the 5th offset, to small a radius I think. Ideally, it would do as CorelDraw does on the free form shape (see video link above) but this would require a serious (time consuming) overall to the offset command, basically an all new command would be needed for that. If you take a look at the free form shape in the video, the offset command (as it is now) would fail a long way before it reach the center of the shape as CDraw does. It's a totally different creature then offset that would be required.

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Does the offset work in any cplane?

EDITED: 10 Feb 2012 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.15 In reply to 4898.8 
Hi Felix, don't worry it's just because I've been away from my office for the day and so I just haven't been able to get to it yet.

It will not take me much time overall to do it once I get a chance.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.16 In reply to 4898.10 
Hi Felix,

> I thought it would be just a case of repeating the offset command
> as many time as needed in a loop, just changing the offset distance
> a multiple of it each step but it could be more complicated then that.

Yup, that's what I almost have finished setting up, I just kind of got interrupted and have been out of my office for a bit, that's the only reason why it is taking extra time, not because the work itself is really too much.
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4898.17 In reply to 4898.14 
Hi Brian,

> Does the offset work in any cplane?

If the curve that is being offset is planar, offset will use the plane of the curve itself for the offset.

Otherwise if it's a 3D curve or if it's a line then the cplane can come into play with it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 4898.18 deleted 10 Feb 2012 by FELIX

Previous
Next
4898.19 In reply to 4898.1 
Hi Felix, I was able to finish cooking up the multi step offset method!

To install it, download the attached .zip file, then unzip it and there are 2 files - both of these files need to be copied into the \commands sub-folder inside of MoI's main installation folder.

That will then make a new command available to MoI called OffsetMultiStep . To trigger the command set up a new shortcut key and put in OffsetMultiStep as the command name.

To use it, select the curves you want to offset, then trigger the command using whatever shortcut key you set up, then you need to pick a point to which side you want to offset and then you can adjust options for the distance that will be used between each step and the number of steps:

Note that if you offset something that has tight bends in it by a distance larger than the bends, the offset will be trying to cross over itself, and it will try to figure out which portion to keep if Trim is enabled. There can be multiple pieces involved when that happens and it tries to keep the piece that is generally in the vicinity of the point that was picked for the offset side, so the placement of the "which side" point can be significant for that kind of situation. If you want to get all pieces you will need to turn the Trim option off and just get the raw results and then clean those up.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Wonderful!

You can also press TAB and write OffsetMultiStep for call the function ;)

EDITED: 15 Feb 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-33